got my stanley maxlife, what next?!

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
Ok got my maxlife 369 from stanley. I was thinking of just getting 6 SMJled's from the shoppe and doing a swap.

On the other hand would love to do a tripple cree swap, but the head is plastic. would there be any way to get additional heat sinking. I am want to run the thing in low and high outputs.

Blinding

Newly Enlightened
I upgraded mine with some 26,000 mcd LEDs and the brightness was about double. It turned it into a very usable work light. My big advise is to remove all the batteries before soldering. The on/off switch will not protect the circuit. I blew a transistor and had to replace it. The disassembly and soldering are very straightforward and the polarity of the LEDs are well marked on the board.

But I am not sure what you are planning will work that well. The LED current is going to be limited by the circuit so your higher power LEDs will be running below their potential. In my case the LEDs were more efficient than the stock ones. They were producing more light at the same current.

Unless you are planning to upgrade the drive circuit then I suggest finding the most efficient 5mm LEDs you can find and use those.

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
Blinding said:
I upgraded mine with some 26,000 mcd LEDs and the brightness was about double. It turned it into a very usable work light. My big advise is to remove all the batteries before soldering. The on/off switch will not protect the circuit. I blew a transistor and had to replace it. The disassembly and soldering are very straightforward and the polarity of the LEDs are well marked on the board.

But I am not sure what you are planning will work that well. The LED current is going to be limited by the circuit so your higher power LEDs will be running below their potential. In my case the LEDs were more efficient than the stock ones. They were producing more light at the same current.

Unless you are planning to upgrade the drive circuit then I suggest finding the most efficient 5mm LEDs you can find and use those.
Well when i was looking at setting up the crees i was looking at swapping the Nimh aa's and putting in a fatman. I guess i could still do the same and have them run in a series. Anyone have the specs on the SMJled's? I know they are 80ma, but at what vF? I figure at 15 lms a peice i should get slightly less then 90 total. which isnt bad at all. Should be much better then whats in there now. and with the fatman in there it could drain the batts to the max, esp when putting in alkalines.