L6P Becomes X428xr!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the risk of getting flamed for (gasp) defacing one of the uber-rare PK signature L6 Porcupine flashlights, thought some photos might be in order! This is a little project for fellow CPFer tanasit that's taken me way too long to complete. Thanks for the faith and the patience, tanasit! In the process of transmilkification, his light has logged quite a few frequent flyer miles, too, traveling from PA to NJ to TX to NJ, up the road a bit in NJ, back down the road a bit, and finally back to PA. That's a lot of travel to be unaccompanied by an adult! :eek:oo:

The original goal was simple enough... tanasit saw this photo on CPF and wanted something similar...

PK L6 Porcupine Converted to X300-KL6
img-m180-porcupine-profile.jpg

img-m180-porcupine-closeup.jpg

Then the Great Cree Madness broke, ;) and though tanasit stayed strong for a while, eventually he succumbed to the Cree side. (Insert Darth Vader breathing noises here.) So midstream, the design spec changed: 3x Cree P4-WH here we come! :D

Took a little last-minute machining by a helpful friend with said machine shop 1/2 mile up the road (and kudos to him for taking time out of his busy machine schedule), but in the end, 3x McR17xr reflectors with their accompanying Cree P4-WH warm white emitters slipped into place nicely.

For most of us, this (at time of this writing) is the final work day of 2006. With that in mind, gear up for the holiday weekend and enjoy the photos!
:popcorn:

The X428xr, A Real Standup Guy.
img-x428xr-l6p-tanasit-upright.jpg

Custom Milky Dogtag For the Light! :D
img-x428xr-l6p-tanasit-tag.jpg

Profile.
img-x428xr-l6p-tanasit-profile.jpg

Size Relative to This Modder's Scraped, Wrinkled, Cut, Bludgeoned,
Bruised, Stained, Burnt, Smoked, Steamed, Clawed, and Girlishly Small Hands.

img-x428xr-l6p-tanasit-hand.jpg

Although not easy to see in the photos, pieces of black felt back the reflectors to set them off with a "jewelbox" look. Kiessling's M180 was the original jewelbox build, and though I'd done a few more I also swore off them as the labor in placing the felt is tremendous! Turns out felt was never designed to cut into precise little strips, then secure onto pieces of flat metal without getting the slightest trace of lint on emitters, reflectors, or lens. :( Then again, maybe tanasit's build got the jewelbox treatment because he didn't ask for it! Sort of a holiday surprise.
:santa:

A Look Into the Bezel.
img-x428xr-l6p-tanasit-bezel.jpg

Bezel Straight-On.
img-x428xr-l6p-tanasit-closeup.jpg

In the end, after devoting 2-3 times the time I'd intended to the project, I was finally satisfied that it looked acceptable... though only barely.

But how does it perform?

X428xr Beam Profile.
img-x428xr-l6p-tanasit-ceiling.jpg

IMHO the beam is nice! Of particular note is how quickly the beams converge into a single virtual hotspot. The infamous Cree raccoon eyes aren't evident in the beam, either... a definite plus. :)

X428xr Hotspot, Regular (left) and Posterized (right).
img-x428xr-l6p-tanasit-hotspot.jpg

How's the brightness? Well, as I don't have an integrating sphere I instead compared the beam to the Milky Labs' ambient lighting, plus did a little shootout vs. a nice SureFire L5 (the "Gene Genie" FWIW). Suffice to say, performance is good.

Ambient Light (left), Stock L5 (middle), X428xr (right).
img-x428xr-l6p-tanasit-porch.jpg

Runtime on 3x123 primaries estimated around 71 minutes, rechargeables probably a little longer, with good regulation for most of that time and diminishing but still very useful light for probably another 90 minutes afterward.

All in all, thought this one turned out okay! Hope tanasit likes it. :sweat:

Thanks for reading! :bow:

bxstylez

Enlightened
absolutely gorgeous!

i wonder how it'll do with the new SSC P4 U bin :naughty:

i hope one day i'll own a milky creation :laughing:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
D MacAlpine said:
What's this, no labelling tape???

I hope that Kiessling isn't reading this thread....:laughing:

Oh, you're referring to the X428xrbe... the Bernie Edition! :nana:

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Scott,

The 3-eyed porc is here! Can't wait until dark for full appreciation. I will never remember your code name X428xr but I love it no matter when it is on or off. Too bad I have no room for it in my case below, so the Pelican case is in order.

Wanna try something totally off the wall with my other L6? :whistle:

Thanks again for the great work, well worth the wait in deed. :goodjob:

Tanasit
PICT4823Medium.jpg

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing collection Tanasit !!!

You don't need so many gat lights, feel free to send me one....LOL

VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!

Ray

PS- I was able to get a Kiu bezel....thanks for the info!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad it arrived Tanasit! I was hoping you'd receive it in time to play with over the New Year's break. Let us know how it performs... sounds like a fun weekend at the Tanasit house! :)

BTW, I'll second Kid9P... very impressive display! :bow:

Now we just need to add a few more Milky lights in there, heh heh... :laughing:

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Super Mod, Master Milky! :twothumbs Plus 1 on hoping MilkyTags replace the tape...:nana: That's some mean Pork there, now! Very very nice. What's next, a roast Pork Hotwire?! :crackup:

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
Hmm,
I've just thought of a few possible hazards associated with this light that tanasit may want to be wary of.

When using it, do you feel an urge to;

- brandish it skywards (feet more than shoulder width apart) and shout "By the power of milkyspit I am the true Lord of Thringgorr"

- surprise people with a cry of "Eat hot photon death!"

- gatecrash SciFi conventions and make them all weep...???

Just beware of strange, wraithlike beings wanting their artifact back........

Nebula

Enlightened
My thoughts exactly. :)

EricMack said:
Super Mod, Master Milky! :twothumbs Plus 1 on hoping MilkyTags replace the tape...:nana: That's some mean Pork there, now! Very very nice. What's next, a roast Pork Hotwire?! :crackup:

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
My USL is #66, not sure when is the ETA. :whistle: :popcorn:

Beamshot L6 on the left and the X428xr on the right: ha..ha..ha...

bwaites said:
A GOLD Elephant!

He has a gold Elephant!!

Great collection Tanasit, but you are missing a USL!:)

Bill
L6-L6-3Cree.jpg

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of the above!! yet :grin2:

How about, " Scott rules" ?

After several on and off...a second after I turn it on again....:twothumbs :wow:

D MacAlpine said:
Hmm,
I've just thought of a few possible hazards associated with this light that tanasit may want to be wary of.

When using it, do you feel an urge to;

- brandish it skywards (feet more than shoulder width apart) and shout "By the power of milkyspit I am the true Lord of Thringgorr"

- surprise people with a cry of "Eat hot photon death!"

- gatecrash SciFi conventions and make them all weep...???

Just beware of strange, wraithlike beings wanting their artifact back........

Last edited:

Leef

Enlightened
Yep, no question about it -- Milky's the man to see for innovative, off-the-chart lights! :thumbsup: