Just got a SureFire G2

Knight of Myth

Newly Enlightened
I love this light. I am going to pick up a holster for it for every day carry, but what should I do as far as the lamp assembly and batteries? My current plan is to just use the P61 lamp and CR123A's. Would it be wiser to use a lamp that requires lower voltage and use rechargeable batteries? Any suggestions and opinions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
What holster did you have in mind?

A P60 comes with the G2; advertised 60 minutes of run time on two primary cells. The P61 is the high output lamp that is double the lumens but for only 20 minutes on a set of cells.

An option are two rechargable RCR123's (unprotected) that are off the charger at ~4.2 volts paired with a P90 or equivalent 9 volt bulb with your G2 fitted with a glass lens.

As for spare bulbs and cells you can buy a SC1 at $17, a P60 at $17 or a P61 at $25, and a dozen Sf cells at $21. A SC1 and P60 cost $34 already, a new G2 costs $36 and includes 2 cells that are $1.75 each.

I persoanlly carry a G2Z (black with P60) in a V70 holster at work with a spare G2 (yellow), a P61 bulb, and a dozen cells in my locker.

G2 is a nice light but I prefer my G2Z because of the combat grip (I also carry a Glock 19 for work.)

Jason

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a lot of people have started using a 3.7 volt lamp with 18650 rechargeables and getting about 100 Lumens. Check the Lumens Factory thread here or maybe someone else can jump in with more details but I believe LF has a Light assembly for the G2's.

Bryan

Enlightened
JasonC8301 said:
An option are two rechargable RCR123's (unprotected) that are off the charger at ~4.2 volts paired with a P90 or equivalent 9 volt bulb with your G2 fitted with a glass lens.

I agree with what you have posted, but I feel protected cells are a much better recommendation in this setup. There is no reason to use unprotected cells when AW, Batterstation, and DAE (qualitychinagoods) protected cells will light up 9V lamps with a single click.

Also, I have not upgraded to the glass lens and have had no problems. With that said, I do plan on buying one soon but I don't feel it's a necessity (if you don't leave the light on for an extended period of time).

Mad1

Enlightened
I use a G&P 9v lamp and x2 3.7v RCR123's in my G2 and it works fine.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Second, third, fourth, or whatever the 2xR123 and 9v lamp suggestions, especially if you use the light a lot.
Just make sure your lamp and batteries are compatible if you want to use protected cells. I do suggest a replacement lens like the UCL, since the stock one will get scratched up in no time if you use and carry the light frequently, plus heat may be a problem with higher output lamps.
18650s, and even some 17670s(like AWs) will not fit in my G2, so I don't screw around with the 3.7v stuff.

carrot

Flashaholic
I got fed up with running rechargeables in my two-cell Surefires. It's just easier for me to leave primaries in my two G2z's and C2. Might switch to the P61 in the C2, though.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, I wonder what some good rechargeable options will be for the upcoming G3? 2x17500? I suppose 18500s' won't fit....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
matrixshaman said:
I think a lot of people have started using a 3.7 volt lamp with 18650 rechargeables and getting about 100 Lumens. Check the Lumens Factory thread here or maybe someone else can jump in with more details but I believe LF has a Light assembly for the G2's.

What 3.7v lamp is this?

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot - you got tired of that set-up in the G2?

Darn right on the rechargables, I am still on my first set of cells and had my G2Z for about 2 months. I do not have the time to deal with another rechargable light when I can just dump old cells out pop in 2 fresh ones while at work. Sometimes I work long hours and just don't want to deal with spending a few minutes of my time charging cells, then I might forget to take them the next morning (has happened with the Mag 2C running a Pelican 3854 bulb and 2 X 18650's.)

Plus I don't use the light too often, estimate 15-20 minutes in the past 2 months.

carrot said:
I got fed up with running rechargeables in my two-cell Surefires. It's just easier for me to leave primaries in my two G2z's and C2. Might switch to the P61 in the C2, though.

carrot

Flashaholic
Yup, the G2 has gone MIA and now I have a perfectly capable and rechargeable Streamlight Strion to use in its place for work...

chizel

Newly Enlightened
If you want hard numbers, I got em. I tested the amp draw on three light soruces for my G2 and 6P. Used a Fluke 179 DMM. Here are the results:

G&P 3W LED = .65 amps or 3.9 watts (approximately)
SF P60 = 1.1 amps or 6.6 watts
SF P61 = 2.2 amps or 13.2 watts

You can deduce approximate runtimes from these numbers as you wish. I will say that the visual difference between these three is not at marked as the numbers might indicate. On the outer reaches of the beam perhaps, such as an extended distance outdoor application, you may notice the throw improving. But If I were to choose a light for THAT kind of duty, it wouldn't be a G2/6P. :thumbsdow

I use the LED daily in the G2 for close to medium range illumination at my job and it has a very acceptable life with 2 123s.

Last edited:

Knight of Myth

Newly Enlightened
chizel said:
If you want hard numbers, I got em. I tested the amp draw on three light soruces for my G2 and 6P. Used a Fluke 179 DMM. Here are the results:

G&P 3W LED = .65 amps or 3.9 watts (approximately)
SF P60 = 1.1 amps or 6.6 watts
SF P61 = 2.2 amps or 13.2 watts

You can deduce approximate runtimes from these numbers as you wish. I will say that the visual difference between these three is not at marked as the numbers might indicate. On the outer reaches of the beam perhaps, such as an extended distance outdoor application, you may notice the throw improving. But If I were to choose a light for THAT kind of duty, it wouldn't be a G2/6P. :thumbsdow

I use the LED daily in the G2 for close to medium range illumination at my job and it has a very acceptable life with 2 123s.

So the P61 doesn't make that much of a visual difference in brightness?

Bryan

Enlightened
Knight of Myth said:
So the P61 doesn't make that much of a visual difference in brightness?

I can see a pretty big difference between the two, especially on fresh batteries.