How are the Inova T Series lights?

William_H

Newly Enlightened
I saw a friend's T1 over the holidays and it seemed really nice. I especially like the clicky tailcap and it seemed nice and white. Are they pretty solid choices for the $$?

Delvance

Enlightened
Decent pricing for a light built like a tank, and people have reported that Inova's warranty is no fuss. The T series comes with optics instead of reflectors, so don't expect a wide spillbeam like normal reflectored lights. Also don't expect the lumen count to be what Inova state, but otherwise, they are great lights. Competition is getting strong now though...

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
William_H said:
I saw a friend's T1 over the holidays and it seemed really nice. I especially like the clicky tailcap and it seemed nice and white. ...

I have a T1 and it is as you described. Built super rugged, too. I am quite fond of the T1 and the T4 rechargeable.

As pointed out, the T series are spotlights so they shine a considerable distance without much spillbeam. Great for checking the back yard for critters.

Prices vary, so shop around.

22hornet

Enlightened
i have a T4 rechargeable and really love it. Good quality, very strong and beautiful, comes in a nice box with all the accessories. It has good throw but less flood, although the "rings" will allow you to navigate in houses without falling over too many objects.

I would buy it again and recommend it without hesitation.

Have a wonderful 2007!
Joris

SuperTorch

Enlightened
Now that the Cree's are out no way I'd buy a T Series, for $70 you can get a P1D CE thats just a better light as it smaller, lighter and brighter. If/When Inova moves to the new level of LED's then I'm first inline, but I feel this way about all lights now that the Crees have proven themselves out, there just no beating 2.5+x the lumens in a whiter beam.

whippoorwill

Enlightened
SuperTorch said:
Now that the Cree's are out no way I'd buy a T Series, for $70 you can get a P1D CE thats just a better light as it smaller, lighter and brighter. If/When Inova moves to the new level of LED's then I'm first inline, but I feel this way about all lights now that the Crees have proven themselves out, there just no beating 2.5+x the lumens in a whiter beam.

I agree. I would be very hesitant to throw a lot of money at a light right now. I WAS looking at a SF L5 but I am going to sit on my wallet right now. I think that we are going to see the flashlight world turned on its ear next year.

Honestly, the P1D-CE is an unbelievable light. I and my son was bouncing the high beam off some VERY low level clouds last night. From something not much bigger than my thumb! I cannot imagine what will happen when they put Cree-XRE's in bigger platforms. We will see some SERIOUS stuff next year! Fenix has just announced some new AAA and AA based Cree based lights coming out in January 2007. Might see SF, Inova and others follow suit, soon

Now, with that being said, I think we will see some real bargains on Luxeon based lights next year, also. By the June/July time frame they may be half what they are now.

Last edited:

Cydonia

Enlightened
I would wait till Inova starts using the Cree's... meanwhile, start buying Cr132A in advance!
The prices of batteries will only go up in time right? And you're going to need them anyway!

:grin2:

By the way, does anyone know what the battery life of the T2 is? I know the run time graph at flashlightreviews showed 5h50m or so...
but what about intermittent use? Isn't intermittent use different on the battery longevity?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to mention that I like the feel of the Inova T-series switches, especially the momentary action.

Though I own some Chinese lights, I usually prefer to buy USA-made products -- another point in Inova's favor. I've spoken with Inova staff by phone -- nice folks.

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
i love my inova t3. batts are a lil $$ may get some rechargables or figure something out. I use it for everything. its awesome. its been dropped several times on concrete, gotten wet, gotten extremeley hot (was in the glove box, forgot about it there) and its still tickin. runtime beats my 2c mag, and is slightly brighter as far as i can tell. OH and a trick to get a spot beam, i take a walmart bag, and cut a square that i fold 2x and then scotch tape it over the optic. creates a nice spill pattern

Gaffle

Enlightened
parnass said:
Though I own some Chinese lights, I usually prefer to buy USA-made products -- another point in Inova's favor. I've spoken with Inova staff by phone -- nice folks.

Same here. I was torn between the T3 and the ProPoly Lux (both made in USA). Went for the ProPoly because I am a NiMH kind of guy.

I think my next light will be an Inova though. Good cost and build compared to the other hard hitting companies, and that "Made in USA" thing.

northjames

Newly Enlightened
William H, I own a T2 and a T3. I think they are great lights for the money. The output is very white, the construction VERY solid, and the runtimes are excellent. My T2 has the best color of any LED light I own. Another thing I like is that the tailcap does not click on too easily, so it is less likely to come on accidentally.

These lights are longer, but they throw well. The beam is very intense to have shined at you because of the optic. I would buy them again without hesitation.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inovas are built to last...excellent quality (they may be eclipsed by brighter, cheaper lights...but they are durable little buggers!).

CFU

William_H

Newly Enlightened
whippoorwill said:
Honestly, the P1D-CE is an unbelievable light. I and my son was bouncing the high beam off some VERY low level clouds last night. From something not much bigger than my thumb! I cannot imagine what will happen when they put Cree-XRE's in bigger platforms. We will see some SERIOUS stuff next year! Fenix has just announced some new AAA and AA based Cree based lights coming out in January 2007. Might see SF, Inova and others follow suit, soon

I haven't heard of the P1D-CE. I'll have to do a search here and check it out....

frogs3

Enlightened
Dear WilliamH

Supertorch and several others in this thread have the right idea: now is the beginning of the next quantum leap in emitter technology. Cree and its competitors can put more lumens out per watt input than the past standard of the industry, which was used in nearly everything, including the Inova T series. We are going to find plenty of new models using fewer batteries or making more lumens with the same weight and size, and very soon. Now is a time for waiting and careful watching.

That having been said, the existing T series are very good devices for reliability, warranty, durability and beampattern. I have a T2 (in my pocket now and edc) and two T5's, one for the daughter at college and one for the wife, a realtor who shows dark basements to clients and checks out the exterior of houses at night right up to the top eaves without difficulty. Stated lumens are always "related" to reality, but by a factor less than 1.0. In the case of these two Inovas, the real-world output is what I expected and quite good IMHO. BTW, I get a runtime of over 5 hrs (estimated by summation as best I can) from my T2 with very intermittent use.

Fenix is the first to get a Cree light to market, but be certain that there will be lots of competitors in the near future. So either hang on to your wallet if you don't NEED a light this second (my suggestion), or look for serious discounting of a great light using what is already old emitter technology.

-Harvey K.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing the Inovas have that I haven't seen in any other (stock) lights beside the SS Peaks is the stainless steel bezel ring that makes it just that much tougher. And yet the look is still ultra clean modern art.
nanotech17 said:
imagine T3 with Cree + Inova TIROS = :naughty:
I'll third that. Make it with a Surefire-type two stage switch and I'd get more than one. Of each one: T1, T2, & T3.
I use my T1 around the house a lot and it has a great amount of light for that use as is. A brighter T2 would be a good all around light, and a super thrower T3 would be a relatively compact "big" light.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blindasabat said:
One thing the Inovas have that I haven't seen in any other (stock) lights beside the SS Peaks is the stainless steel bezel ring that makes it just that much tougher. And yet the look is still ultra clean modern art.
I'll third that. Make it with a Surefire-type two stage switch and I'd get more than one. Of each one: T1, T2, & T3.
I use my T1 around the house a lot and it has a great amount of light for that use as is. A brighter T2 would be a good all around light, and a super thrower T3 would be a relatively compact "big" light.

You betcha :goodjob: