So, someone commneted on my Brinkmann Maxfire

He just said "Is that a Surefire??"

When it comes to something that is shorter than Minimag, but as bright as the 4D Maglite, the slightly flashlight aware public thinks "Surefire".

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I've had the same thing happen with various lights. Soon all bright lights will be "Surefires" just like all copies are "Xerox."

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I love gadgets and geeky things, but I never heard of SF until reading an article in Maximum PC magazine talking about items to put in a PC custom building toolkit, one of which was the L2 which I bought last year. Several thousand dollars later....I'm glad I only bought two SF lights. No one I have ever talked to outside of this forum has ever heard of SF either.

At the risk of offending the SF junkies on this forum, personally, I will likely never buy another product from SF, as I consider their customer service (even by phone) among the worst and most condescending I have ever dealt with of any company. In addition the value per dollar is nothing compared to what you can get on this forum. I can't remember the last time I used the M4 I bought.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I mentioned a U2 and showed my cousin their site he said ya surefires are the best.
He is in the airforce sitting behind a desk.

Flashlight Enthusiast
"No that's the name of a flashlight that breaks mags" 9points them to the thread were some guy cut a mag with a surefire body)

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
I've had people ask me if both my Fenix P1 and my Brinkman Maxfire were Maglites. In both cases I said, "No, it's better than a Maglite."

greenLED

Flashaholic
Last time I told someone "you can use my SureFire", they thought I was talking about my gun. :rolleyes:

Bryan

Enlightened
I don't think anyone around my area has heard of a Surefire. The local retailer knows about them but other than that everyone is clueless. Everyone has a Mag (in my area)!

mdocod

Flashaholic
most people comment on my ultrafire:

"oooh, nice maglight"

burn

apparently, there are people who automatically think maglight whenever it's made of metal.

hey, pass the kleenex

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
i think its cause maglight had some good advertisng a few years ago

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
hizzo3 said:
i think its cause maglight had some good advertisng a few years ago
Not to mention their massive exposure in Hollywood movies over the past years... Now things are changing fast and we're seeing a lot of Surefires and Inovas on TV shows and mainstream films.

Illum

Flashaholic
Outdoors Fanatic said:
...and we're seeing a lot of Surefires and Inovas on TV shows and mainstream films.

Surefire yes...but other than the X5 and microlight on CSI I havent seen anything else from inova:ohgeez:

NAW

Enlightened
There was a guy once who thought my HID light was a super bright LED. He never knew there was such a thing as HID until he met me. :laughing:

Now as for Surefire, the only people I expect to know what that is would be LEO, SAR, Millitary, etc because I have not once met anybody else who knows a Surefire product or really even cares. I had shone my 200 lumen Surefire around people and its like they haven't even noticed.

Illum

Flashaholic
NAW said:
There was a guy once who thought my HID light was a super bright LED. He never knew there was such a thing as HID until he met me. :laughing:

Now as for Surefire, the only people I expect to know what that is would be LEO, SAR, Millitary, etc because I have not once met anybody else who knows a Surefire product or really even cares. I had shone my 200 lumen Surefire around people and its like they haven't even noticed.

people don't care...as long as they work as lights when they need them:awman:, I feel im the only one who gets annoyed by beam artifacts...and when I tell them about lights that doesnt have artifiacts, their like "meh, whatever."

burn:scowl:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
People have no idea what kind of light is being used on any TV show, nor is a brand name ever advertised in a show. For most people, a flashlight is a flashlight. You have to spend some time looking into this hobby before you start developing the appreciation for individual brands and features. Pretty much the same with any topic or hobby.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly, LuxLuthor. To the general public a flashlight is a flashlight.

Last winter I tried to explain to one of my wive's best friends about my flashlights. I tried to explain these are high-tech, extremely well built lights that are designed for extreme situations. If one's life counts on having a light, these are the lights to own. I got one of those blank stares back... LOL. Last Spring she was out for a walk at night and stepped in a pothole, breaking her ankle. I ran down to Target and bought her an Inova. She now uses it on her walks and understands the value of a high quality light. :)