Any EMTs or Paramedics out there?

supes

Enlightened
Hi guys, I'm starting a EMT basic course right now, and just want to hear all those who have gone through it and their experiences esp. on the job. I'm not sure what I want to do yet, so I decided to try this out. The way I see it, its an excuse to make sure I have a couple of good lights on person for this kind of job. :D

coontai

Newly Enlightened
i took one (EMT-B) over the summer in VA. Feel free to pm or post ANY questions.

Just to add on a little.

I'm a male (not gay if you were wondering (got no problem with it though)) nursing major in college, so I had an extensive background in the field. I volunteer and am not currently thinking about going career. My instructors were all highly qualified and gave really good advice. The best advice I got was in the beginning when one of the instructors told us that we should not just try to leave and get out of class asap (some classes were 9hrs long!!!!!!!). Because when test time comes it will be too late to learn some stuff. Sometimes the class is gruesomely boring, but all I can it was worth it. Be patient and practice, practice, practice, and in your free time practice. You can't just learn stuff to pass a test. For me I made a notebook for just acronyms (ie dcapbtlc, pms, sample, opqrst, some of my own, etc.) to help me. Some of the simple stuff and stats you really got to learn because when you are on a call the stress and commotion can get to ya. Anyways don't worry about it is fun class overall and the state exam is actually pretty easy. Oh one more thing! Get a partner cause you'll need one for state exams and practice your clinicals only with them.

Sorry one more thing!
Another reason I'm a nursing major is because there is a RN-Paramedic bridge class you can take if you're an EMT-B, which would save me YEARS in traditional training time. Plus I got to class with hot chicks!!!!!!!

Last edited:

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am hoping to go to school to be an paramedic then eventualy a flight paramedic. of course i still have 3 years till i get out of high school. but i know A LOT about the medical feild as i am in the hospital all the time and i have to spend most of the time in the nurses office while at school and her sun is a doctor in the ARMY. but one day i hope to be a paramedic.

good luck!

supes

Enlightened
Haha, coontai. That's awesome man. I understand that lots of people with nursing degrees take the EMT course for more knowledge and so forth. There are a lot of firefighters in my class too. I've got too much respect for those nurses. Nurses make pretty good money although not enough for the things that do. I just couldn't be one, I guess I just can't stand taking care of patients in those terms.

I'm a little worried about the 9hrs classes though, I really don't know how I would avoid falling asleep at least once.

Thanks for sharing and the advice! I'll keep in mind the practice part, sounds like something vital for me.

Sounds good, benchmadeboy_boy, I too wish you the best of luck!

Keep those posts coming por favor...

Last edited:

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
my aunt is a traveling RN and she and my mom thins i shouldnt go for the paramedic and go for the nurse then be a flight nurse. as they think a nurse has to be more knowledgable and doesnt get a worn out so quikly as a emt would.

a lot of other people dont think i should be a paramedic some people that i dont even know.like a doctor one time was puting in a pic line in me and the nurse was helping and she could hardling stand to watch so she was asking me what i wanted to do when i got older and i told her i wanted to be a paramedic and she said i was to smart to be a paramedic and that i should be a E.R doctor. but i like the idea of the paramedic where you are outdoors and have to learn on what the symptons are out in the feild instead of relying on others.

coontai

Newly Enlightened
Just for the record I took an accelerated course over the summer. Most aren't that bad, and we did get off early most of the time. Don't think about it too much, just do it.

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
Im an EMT-B and I am currently in paramedic school. Coontai gave some really good advice. EMT school is pretty basic and not to hard. Remember your ABC's. Good luck with school and if you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask. You can either post them in here, pm me, or get me on aim.

tazambo

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

All the main Ambulance services are government run here in Australia and I guess that's different than in the USA.

We train on the road for 3 years with block release training in clinical and theory subjects. You qualify with a university/college degree.

You can do the degree first (but you're a poor student if not employed elsewhere), then do the on road training (if a service hires you) but it still takes a minimum of 3 years. Obviously after 3 years you have seen quite a bit and are very well trained (that's just my opinion).

Then there is further training to become an IC Paramedic (IC - Intensive Care) and more training again to be a flight paramedic on either the fixed wing planes or the helicopters.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Regards
Dave

By the way, I carry a SF L4 , a PT eos & a mini mag 2AAA
The L4 is fantastic for the job, as it will light up an entire room in a house or the inside of a vehicle, just what you need along with a headlamp (rarely used but sometimes needed) and a small light to check pupils.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
i also i have freind wich is one of the two full time paramedics down in santa fe, new mexico and he is a tactical paramedic meaning- he goes where the swat goes. and he only carries surefire and doesnt even know about cpf

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
benchmade_boy said:
my aunt is a traveling RN and she and my mom thins i shouldnt go for the paramedic and go for the nurse then be a flight nurse. as they think a nurse has to be more knowledgable and doesnt get a worn out so quikly as a emt would.

a lot of other people dont think i should be a paramedic some people that i dont even know.like a doctor one time was puting in a pic line in me and the nurse was helping and she could hardling stand to watch so she was asking me what i wanted to do when i got older and i told her i wanted to be a paramedic and she said i was to smart to be a paramedic and that i should be a E.R doctor. but i like the idea of the paramedic where you are outdoors and have to learn on what the symptons are out in the feild instead of relying on others.
Your mother is right but if you don't learn to spell and write properly, you will have a difficult time becoming an EMT - B and that is a dead end low pay job.

You WILL have a hard time getting into collage and medical school will be out of the question, same for nursing.
At any level you will be writing reports. If you are an EMTB in a small volunteer fire department in the sticks that have paramedic based ambulance service your reports will be minimal and ignored unless you get sued.
From the paramedic level up you will be writing LONG reports on every patient and in the MICU Flight nurse field, you will find yourself in an intensive continuous peer-review process that will show no mercy for any errors.
These people were picked from the best of the best and if you can't or won't write well, you will not make it.

RN's with no ER experience range from fair to horrible in the field even under basic first aid situations.

Be *very* aware than EMTs and Paramedics have a very high burnout rate.

bitslammer

Enlightened
I was a medic in the National Guard. Long story short; I wanted to become an epidemiologist. The plan was to go National guard/reserves during college and then enlist for further training. I really wanted to work at USAMRID http://www.usamriid.army.mil/ ,but found out at the end of all of my training that I had asthma. Go figure?!?!?! I stuck it out for a while in the guard and just missed the first "all expenses paid" trip to Iraq/Kuwait. If it weren't for the asthma I'm sure they'd have kept me in past my time.

If you're unlclear about what you want to do the military can be a great trial ground. As a 91A I did everything from basic first aid to shots and IV's. Traning is fast and furious but you'll learn a good deal.

In the end I guess everything worked out for the better but it was some good experience that landed me a job in a hospital working the OR. I was there for about 10 years and somehow wound up in IT.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
guys i am sorry for my spelling when i type on the computer i am trying to type fast and i miss spell a lot of words, but when i write on paper i do much better and take my time.

maybe i wont go into the medical feild and will choose somthing else.

BTW i am sorry for hijacking your thread, i am just trying to get advice as well.

thanks

beebee58

Newly Enlightened
Let's see my 1st EMT class was in early 1979. Started Paramedic school in Late "79" and stayed a medic until "96".

My words of advice are too take the EMT-B (Basic, there is also a "A" advanced course) course followed by the EMT-P (Paramedic)to add on to the "bonus" points that fire departments offer and become a fireman.

Qben

Newly Enlightened
I have to second what beebee said. I have been a Paramedic for 6 years now and I love it. I have worked for a Fire Dept. for the past 2 years and it is the only way to go. It is a whole different world compared with the private ambulance companies. Get your EMT-B, get involved with a volunteer fire department and start taking FD tests. If you don't get picked up by a Fire Department before you are ready to go to Paramedic school, then that is a good way to get an extra leg up over the competition. If you would make a good Firefighter, however, you should be able to get hired without any Paramedic training.

It's makes Paramedic school much easier when someone is paying for the schooling and paying you a salary while you are there.

beebee58

Newly Enlightened
True Qben, But....... (you knew there was one, haha) In our department,,,,,,,, If you are luckey enough to be hired without being a paramedic you can loose your job if you fail too pass the state and national regeristery.

So there is a little less pressure on you if you don't have to worry about your job, by being a paramedic at the time of hiring. Add in the fact that you are still learning to be a fireman it's a little more difficult to due both at once.

As a added bonus, a lot of fire departments give 10% to you overall score if you are a paramedic compaired to 3% for just EMT.

There is also a BIG trend to hire only "Paramedic's" because they are ready to hit the streets now instead of "a year from now" add to that the added expense of training and you can see why some cities only give there tests to "Paramedic" canditates.

I can only speak from my experance as a medium sized fire department Officer (400 man dept.) with 22 years on the job.

BB

Qben

Newly Enlightened
I see your point and it is true that some departments only hire qualified paramedics (mine included until very recently), however I was referring to trying to get hired as an EMT-B, finishing probation and learning the fire craft, and then letting the dept. put you through Paramedic school. In that case if one failed to pass the National Registry or State Cert., he still can fall back into his previous position. I can imagine that the probationary year (which varies widely from dept. to dept.) would be much less stressful if one could focus on just learning the fire craft.

My experience in the issue is limited to talking with people in other departments. Like I said above, we have traditionally only hired Paramedics. With a couple of EMT-Bs that we just brought on in recent months it will be interesting to see how the department will deal with any desire they have to go to Paramedic school. We only have 15 paid FF, growing to 20 this year and only 2 of them are EMT-B rather than Paramedics.

On a side note if there are any Paramedics out there interested in a job, we will be bringing on 5 Paramedics within the next 6 months. It is the City of Anacortes in Washingon State. Pay and benefits are some of the best in the country for this sized department.

beebee58

Newly Enlightened
Qben, Sorry I re-read my post and it sounded a little harsh. My fault.

As most of us have stated "Good Luck" in your training and follow the road that your comfortable with, wheather or not it leads you to the Fire Dept.'s or not.

As for what flashlights I carry, I have a "UK" mounted on my helmet and a "SF" C2 in my pocket of my duty uniform. I might be switching the C2 to a A2 sometime this year, still just thinking about it.

BB

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
Im an EMT of 4 years. And I've been "burned out" two to three times alrealdy.
I was a bonafide whacker, buying every new gadet there was, and purchasing my own gear. I still have the blue lights in my truck. Now, I usually hate it, getting up in the middle of the night to go talk to someone who wants their blood pressure taken. I see new cadets joining with the same attitude. Its amazing what I've seen in only 4 years. And I don't even want to sound like an old timer who has been doing this for 25+ years.

I can only echo what the others have said.

I like being an EMT, but as a basic, it doesnt pay anywhere near enough. I just got my associates degree in an IT feild, and I'm working on my bachelors.

Id say deffinatley go to the basic class and see how you like it, and move on to the next step up.

I would also recomend talking with emts/paramedics/nurses in your area.

Lots of aspects of EMS in the US are largely regional and specific to area or department.

For instance, I took the national registry assesment test in NJ, and while I was attending school in Florida, in order to work as an EMT in Florida, I would have to go take the National Assesment Test Again. I found this to be retarted. I would have also had to pay the entire testing fee to make 9 bucks an hour. Not worth it for me.

supes

Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses guys! Some very interesting stuff.

Even though the job would be fun, I never thought about becoming a fireman. Plus a reason is, me wearing glasses would greatly hinder my abilities to perform esp. in those tough situations. Glasses are a curse, imho. I'm taking the EMT-B to see how things pan out. It was something I thought would be good to have under my belt whether or not I go into the medical department. What I really want to do is go back on the college track, and maybe pursue international studies as my major. Again, I don't know what's ahead of me, I might choose the Paramedic course after EMT basic. I do know I will not stay as a EMT forever.

Where I live, the counties use to have the ambulances run by the state and hospitals, now it's under private companies. I guess I'll find out how different it will be.

That sucks, coldsolderjoint. I definitely would be pissed to take the test 2 times for the same thing just in different locations. I thought the National test was the standard and accepted everywhere?

I need to ask some firefighters about the partnetship between them and the EMT/Paramedics. I think the firefighters also double as EMT/Paramedics here in Richmond county. :thinking:

I'm curious, do you guys always have on protective glasses on like M-frame type wraparounds when on the call?