E bus fleet out of commission in cold

raggie33

*the raggedier*
you young hippies eating pickles from the jar and have store bought pants(im just teaseing you) but i do recall when a 7.6 voly makakta drill was the cats meow god im old lol

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did a fleet of corded saws fail because of E busses being used in Antarctica during an eBay sales event of makita chargers?
1703218457682.png

bridgman

Enlightened
I much prefer my e-bikes over my old gas powered ones lol. Mine run on solar! Well I charge with solar power .
Yep... IMO an e-bike plus solar is workable and sustainable. Make it a three wheeler for cold climates.

What I don't know is whether any of them have sufficient BMS to charge safely in cold weather, ie warm up the battery pack using power from the charger plug before letting charge current flow into the cells. IMO a three-wheeler with a swapped-out Tesla battery pack would be just about right :)

bridgman

Enlightened
Directive to Advance Zero-Emission Vehicles Requirements by 2035 for All New Passenger Cars, Pickup Trucks, and SUVs Sold in State

That is from just one liberal state.
And the (temporarily) loony-left country to your immediate north :(

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have some reduction in range in cold weather, but I still get there. You have to plan ahead and know your vehicle. ICE vehicles also have reduced range and reliability in the cold. Many times the electric vehicle will run in the cold. In the Texas Ice Storm disaster a few years ago it was the natural gas infrastructure that failed. Not the renewables.
That's the biggest problem I have with EV's. You can't always plan ahead. Kid needs to go to emergency room etc. we're just not there yet to fully except the ev. Someday but definitely not now.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding of the Texas Freeze-up was that in addition to the natural gas freezing, the wind turbines froze, too, because being so far in the south, it was thought that anti-ice/anti-freeze equipment was not required. So contrary to mrfixitman, renewables did fail, due to lack of not preparing for the unanticipated things. Black Swan events do happen, can happen, and will happen. Prepare appropriately.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not at all. ICE and Fuel Cells are the answer.
Fuel cells are part of an eclectic drive, so in a way he is correct, electric is the future, whether powered by batteries or fuel cells.

IMO fuel cells are modern equivalent of atomic hype we had in 50s and 60s. we thought every car, plane, house will have an atomic drive, and run for decades, well it is only materialized in ships, subs, and powerplants. But it looked so good in theory back then, just like fuel cells look today.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Fuel cells are part of an eclectic drive, so in a way he is correct, electric is the future, whether powered by batteries or fuel cells.

IMO fuel cells are modern equivalent of atomic hype we had in 50s and 60s. we thought every car, plane, house will have an atomic drive, and run for decades, well it is only materialized in ships, subs, and powerplants. But it looked so good in theory back then, just like fuel cells look today.
Hydrogen is the fuel for these fuel cells. Also raw hydrogen which is easy and quick to refill is another preferable alternative to EV Li-Ion driven cars/bus/semi-trucks. Existing gas stations can be relatively easily retrofitted to deliver hydrogen refills, as an additional option to continuing gasoline while that will be in demand for quite some time.

The EV mandated move is not ready for prime time, except in limited climates and smaller travel distances.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
My understanding of the Texas Freeze-up was that in addition to the natural gas freezing, the wind turbines froze, too, because being so far in the south, it was thought that anti-ice/anti-freeze equipment was not required. Black Swan events do happen, can happen, and will happen. Prepare appropriately.
Hubris = leading cause of unforeseen issues, which should have been prepared for anyway.