Teslas quit charging in cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
They took the impact just fine, it is the fire that took them down, I do not know about steel, 40 vs 60, but it would not matter either way, they both would soften the same from that temperature. the design flaw was that all stairways were in the core that got cut off, so people, could not leave upper floors. it they had emergency stairwells in corners , or close to them, on all 4 sides, people would escape, but corner space offers best bucks, corner offices are the what every cfo/ceo wants, multi million dollars apartments must have corner rooms for the view, so builders maximize value of rentable space, so safety comes after profits. not to mention such events are extremely rare, so no one, at least before 911 would put staircases where most desirable spaces are.
One of our church members bent this rod on our John Deere mower. Try as I did I could not bend it back .... until applying heat from a propane torch.

IMG_4524.jpeg

Ta Da! Back in service. Metal working 101.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The explosion was much hotter than a blow torch can produce. When the explosion melted the steel, the weight of the collapse buckled everything below it. The melted part collapsed, it caused the a few floors below to collapse. Those caused the next few to collapse and so on and so on. It's why they fell straight down instead of falling over.

I remember telling my friend that day "simple genious. Box cutters to hijack planes to fly into a house of steel and concrete cards". "Those were some dirty b@st@rds that did that". He said "shhhh, don't tell that to anybody else".

Grade 40 steel is not as strong as grade 60. Grade 60 is stiffer. So it can support more weight without buckling. Believe or not, how they tied steel together also matters. Rebar cages for bridges are tied together every other intersection. The world trade center cages were supposed to be tied at every intersection. The cage would be a lot stronger. Don't know if that was also part of the issue. Tie-wire also matters. But yes, the heat of the full tank on a 747 was much hotter than the building was designed to withstand. The designers considered a plane having an issue and "accidently" hitting the buildings when they built it....737's though. Much less fuel than a loaded 747. Nowhere near as hot of an explosion.

A lot of it stemmed from the "secret war" America fought against Russia in Afghanistan. We helped Afghanistan blow up stuff to stop the Russian movement but then left without helping them rebuild the place like we did Japan and Germany after WW2. After Russia left the crazies filled the power vacuum of a country left in shambles. The fighting age men were nearly all gone or wounded. The kooks convinced the next generation that the US was to blame for all that was wrong there. They hated our way of life and vowed to destroy the West. Many still believed the way folks did hundreds of years ago, long before equal rights and all that. Some loved the Western ways. They had to go!

When we invaded Afghanistan the intent was to eventually fix what we screwed up in the 80's. Trouble was politicians screwed that up too. Just like they did the Vietnam war. They're trying to do the same thing in Ukraine. They'll screw that up too. Not some left or right thing, but power hungry politicians who will do anything for money, power and votes. Same old story.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Explosion did not melt the steel, nothing did actually, 2 hours of fire made it soft enough to collapse under the weight. no 747 flew into towers, both were 767, which are much smaller. IDk where you get your info, but it is wrong, the source you use is beyond unreliable,

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Explosion did not melt the steel, nothing did actually, 2 hours of fire made it soft enough to collapse under the weight. no 747 flew into towers, both were 767, which are much smaller. IDk where you get your info, but it is wrong, the source you use is beyond unreliable,
I stated it wrong when I said explosion melted the steel. The explosion of 20,000 gallons of fuel from a 767 caused the fire that was hotter than it would have been from a 737 holding 5000 to 7000 gallons hitting the building. It was designed to withstand the fire from the 737.
I stand corrected about the 747. Yes they were indeed 767's.

Last edited:

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Electric cars, solar and wind power are all made possible through the usage of so called fossil fuels and it's the either/or mentality in tandem with one is good, the other evil rhetoric that is so pervasive to the conversation and counterproductive.

Blindness to the fact that many could be naturally interested in electric vehicles were it not for being bludgeoned with legislation and shaming tactics. Nothing being forced upon us is ever done with good intent; there's always a man behind the curtain with other plans.
More fear! While I agree fossil fuels uplift renewables, less and less will be needed in the future. Bludgeoned! Yes, because nobody wants to change, which is for the common good. Personally , I would remove all subsidies from fossil fuels and plastics. Let's see how much you gear heads(French farmers don't)like that. Trillions so big oil and auto unfairly survive, whilst poisoning the world.That said clean environment is the goal now. Before it was to get places for the least cost. Let me tell my history:

I went through many stages of efficient transportation. Mostly based on finance. I am one cheap but logical person. As a kid we kids got everywhere on bikes and in Ohio Winters played wilh sleds. My family moved to California on an epic Summer, travel trailer trip, spending the 4th in Wyoming. Awesome fireworks. We ended up in San Diego. My step dad was smart and landed a good job.(I will leave out my Mom's tragedy)Eventually he moved to real estate with the help of my mom. Again as a teenager I got around on bikes. My first car was a $300 Ford 500. 3 on the tree with electric overdrive. Used it till college. But had a Honda 90..to save money and trail ride. Let's skip all the motorcycles and go to the Datsun 1200 that starts my love affair with efficient vehicles. 42mpg in 1971. Used that for 92k only consuming a belt and brake pads. Of course normal tuneups and oil changes. Then a Datsun 1300 1967 wagon. Very practical, rebuilt that myself with a junkyard rear end and new head. After a couple of cars I got a 82 Honda Civic FE. 55mpg if you drove slow. Then with kids family cars. Taurus and a Mazda 626 35 mpg. All driven by economics. All repairs by me. Couldn't afford a mechanic. Near the turn of the century my interest turned to electric and I had several conversations, repaired or built from scratch, including a Texas made factory conversion on a Ford Courier frame. I used these as much as possible but it was clear they were mostly kid carriers for school. Not the freeway philharmonic. My vehicles: (http://www.evalbum.com/418)
So I turned my mechanical skills to the veggie diesel arena. Old Mercedes are good candidates for single tank. Pure vegetable oil. Just settle and strain with blue jeans. Got me around for a decade of free fuel. Then regulations caught up. I realized my financial and ecological aspirations were on the same course. I still had contacts but sold the diesels as the Nissan Leaf came out and my wife was a liability, constantly clogging filters and I had to come change the filter and send her on her way. A decade before that we installed solar. Half paid by the state. By the time of the pandemic we turned off natural gas service (saving the service fee)had two Leafs which we paid $28k. We realized we could fully charge one on level 1 in a couple days using no grid power. That year we went 12k miles and had a 100% electric house. Total cost $550 for a year of energy. My finances align with the good of the world. We have sold the Leafs and now have a couple of Teslas. I know people who've paid off a Tesla with gas savings. So if you plan ahead and have a goal it can be reached. Mine took a couple of decades and $150k. Am I a tree hugging leftie or simply a cheapskate who got by? You decide. House battery, more solar and Airbnb to come. Retirement looking good. I hope my story explains my position. This is based on facts. Not fear or speculation. There are things you have to be taught or shown. Then you can believe. My belief is based on financial success. The side benefit is a clean environment and conscience.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
If you're charging over night its not taking ten seconds. Stop trolling.
Just because an energy company is putting a small solar site in West Virgin is, does not mean West Virginia is "doing it" as you alledge. Again, stop trolling.
How is truth trolling? You just can't handle the truth. It takes me 10 seconds to fuel. In the comfort of my home. How much time, from the time you've realized you need gas, does it take? How much does it cost? Electricity costs 12¢ in Colorado to 42¢ a kwh in Hawaii. The EPA has rated the Rivian R1T models with the quad-motor setup for 74 MPGe city, 66 MPGe highway, and 70 MPGe combined. For the F-150 Lightning, EPA gives the Standard-Range models 76 MPGe city and 61 MPGe highway and the more efficient Extended-Range models at 78 MPGe city and 63 MPGe highway.
EVDB Real Range Cybertruck
CO2 Emissions0 g/km
Vehicle Fuel Equivalent *97 mpg
Model Y Tesla 120 mpge.
Model III 130 MP
Vehicle types considered
12024 Hyundai Ioniq 6 Long range RWD (18 inch Wheels) Automatic (A1) EV153/127
22024 Lucid Air Pure RWD with 19 inch wheels Automatic (A1) EV140/134
32024 Hyundai Ioniq 6 Standard Range RWD Automatic (A1) EV151/120
42024 Lucid Air Pure RWD with 20 inch wheels Automatic (A1) EV
It is a simple math problem. Best case. You drive a Hyundai. In Colorado. 12¢ a kwh 120 miles costs $3.12. In Hawaii 42¢ slightly different math problem.

Let's say you drive a hybrid. 50 mpg that's 2 2/5 gallons. Not hard to do the math. Money wise. It would seem to suck. These are the facts. This is why electric and batteries will win. It is much cheaper cost of ownership. Bottom line. Okay, now I rub it in. to go 115 miles in a Ford Lightning is $5.88. Ford diesel 5 gallons at $3.48 . Burn. Or change. Some people didn't do the math.
134/126
Cost of ownership. Not politics. Not to mention every treehugger wants to give you a free charge. Not to mention the free charges I get at work..damn..do I have to pay tax on that? Now I'm trolling.

Last edited:

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bludgeoned! Yes, because nobody wants to change, which is for the common good.
And there we have it... the naked admission that individual rights are to be swept aside by the force of a government gun, or even a bludgeon. Since your bludgeon cannot kill ideas, the only thing left is people. This is the nature of what you propose.

I am one cheap but logical person.
I disagree. Logic is non-contradictory identification. Your desire to have people bludgeoned, and the notion of an impossible entity called "the common good" are the opposite of logic.

Half paid by the state.
You mean half paid by others who are forced to pay taxes, or worse, pay for it through state borrowing where interest must also be paid.

My finances align with the good of the world.
No they don't. What gets you by would destroy all of civilization when forced on everyone else. No one person could ever determine the billions of choices and decisions that occur within and between individuals each day.

If you were actually concerned with the good of the world, you'd be talking very differently.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
And there we have it... the naked admission that individual rights are to be swept aside by the force of a government gun, or even a bludgeon. Since your bludgeon cannot kill ideas, the only thing left is people. This is the nature of what you propose.

I disagree. Logic is non-contradictory identification. Your desire to have people bludgeoned, and the notion of an impossible entity called "the common good" are the opposite of logic.

You mean half paid by others who are forced to pay taxes, or worse, pay for it through state borrowing where interest must also be paid.

No they don't. What gets you by would destroy all of civilization when forced on everyone else. No one person could ever determine the billions of choices and decisions that occur within and between individuals each day.

If you were actually concerned with the good of the world, you'd be talking very differently.
Kicking and screaming you will be dragged into submission and then be the biggest advocate. You cannot deny Electric Power, cost of ownership, is more financially sound. VHS to Beta. The cheaper alternative won. Did you buy Kodak stock. Digital is cheaper. It took over and now everyone has a phone in their pocket. I don't want to be mean and call you a moron, but at some point you will come to the Homer Simpson realization. DOH! Are you saying you have the right to make the wrong choice?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
just becuase we all dont agrre that dont mean we are angry with each other.

ps i understand what mr fix it is say when i charge my ebikes it takes me 10 second of work. i just plug it in then go on with my day . it charges on its own. its parked

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
In order for a society to work and thrive, the individuals must have concern for all of those involved, not just themselves. Each person looking out solely for himself is not sustainable.
Like, sure we all want lower taxes, but at the same time like to complain when the roads suck and our trash pickup is late. Can't have both. Yeah, I complain every quarterly check I write (self employed); but just because I know there are many making ten times what I do who pay piddly s**t comparatively.
Government has to legislate in order to make this stuff work. Same goes for making sure we all have clean water/air etc.
You can want the best for yourself, but you should want the best for others too.
There's a whole lot of cognitive dissonance in this thread.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kicking and screaming you will be dragged into submission and then be the biggest advocate.
You have me confused with someone else. I don't do Stockholm Syndrome.

I don't want to be mean and call you a moron, but
You just did, and have no intellectual response to my post.

Are you saying you have the right to make the wrong choice?
Gonna' have to wake up a little earlier and create a better loaded question. I'm clearly saying that you have zero right to make any choice for anyone else.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
You have me confused with someone else. I don't do Stockholm Syndrome.

You just did, and have no intellectual response to my post.

Gonna' have to wake up a little earlier and create a better loaded question. I'm clearly saying that you have zero right to make any choice for anyone else.
Yes we do. You cannot murder. The state sees to that. Again you are saying you have the right to do something stupid or even illegal. I guess you still have a betamax and a film camera, maybe even a Nokia. I have an old 8 track. You want it? Well I guess it is your right to waste your money. But I think Elon Musk has the right idea. Cut all subsidies. Let the market decide. The Model Y is the best selling car in the world. Not EV. CAR! Half the cars sold in 2025 will be electric.70% in 2027. This is a warning to sell your stranded assets.

mrfixitman

Enlightened

BTW. When I say bludgeoned it is figurative. Maybe I should say dope slap or even better wakeup call.

Status
Not open for further replies.