talk me out of adopting a dog?

OMCHamlin

Newly Enlightened
Reading your post "raggie33", and other's replies to you would tend to make me think there's not a lot of "dog friendly" people on here. Reading further though, it seems as though they know you pretty well, and feel like your abilities and circumstances might end up not working out vis a vis owning a dog. I see you've been a member of CPF since 2003, so assuming you didn't take up the interest at birth, I figure you have to be in your 30s or so, at least.
If that is the case, then by now, you should know if you have the ability to care for a dog, which does include feeding, walking (or providing a place for him/her to poop/pee daily), medical care, etc. These involve a LIFE, not a new flashlight or a pair of shoes. If you can't map out the challenges and obstacles of pet ownership, I'd let that dog alone, he's probably better off to random chance and circumstance then you "adopting" him until you get bored with the idea.
On the other hand, the joy of having a loyal friend to greet you when you come home or spend time with you is (for some of us) incalculable. I have had dogs or been in a household with dogs since most of them were taller then me, and would not choose to spend my days without one or two, so long as I am able to care for them. Dogs are great "best friends", a sentiment that seemed sorely missing from almost every other calculated reply to your post. They should just go buy another flashlight instead or something...

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    476.4 KB · Views: 57

raggie33

*the raggedier*
just wanted to give him a home i dont want a dog but didnt want him homlesss

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
just wanted to give him a home i dont want a dog but didnt want him homlesss
If you don't want a dog, then don't even consider adopting him. Advertise the dog, and hand it off to a person that really wants a dog. They are expensive to care for, time consuming, you can't just lock them in, you have to spend time with them, and they can become a liability if they bite someone or injure another animal. I've been wanting a dog for years now, but the time isn't right.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
My advice is to stick with cats if you want a companion. They're a heck of a lot less demanding than dogs, who need to be walked, as well as ask for attention all the time. They also eat way less food than a big dog.

Another thing in favor of cats is their generally longer lifespan. It's always devastating when an animal you're close to dies. At least cats will be with you somewhat longer.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
my rats would get jelly anyways lol plus my rats are smarter then most dogs

raggie33

*the raggedier*
that dog would of been very well taken care of. but its good to see how some of you view me lol. knock's me down a peg. do i care no a course not lol. . ...

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
that dog would of been very well taken care of. but its good to see how some of you view me lol. knock's me down a peg. do i care no a course not lol. . ...

Raggie, I have three Westies that are each 20lbs. Once they get their annual shots, not a big expense. Dogs are a blessing from God. Mine look like this.

1697920738748.png