Target's River Rock LEDs

Achilleus

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, I bought this light from Target for around $20, its a 1.4W 2C light, very very nicely machined, but not bright at all. It looks like it could be made by someone else and downgraded to be cheaper, but I dunno.

I was wondering if anyone recognized the light and whether there's an upgrade for it. Also, I cannot get the lens holder off, its like its glued down or something.

Thanks!

Dean

29n84ea.jpg
4gyy6pj.jpg

Bror Jace

Enlightened
That's a 2C River Rock.

There are extensive threads about it and it's 2AA brother here. Try searching for "River Rock" and going back a year or more.

LOBOLUMENS

Newly Enlightened
I have that exact same light. Perfectly round, yet dim, spotlight beam with no flood whatsoever. When you shine it on a wall it looks like the moon. I agree that the machining and ergonomics are wonderful but man what a pathetic beam! Like a Ferrari with a Volkswagen engine. I would also be very interested in any possible modifications.

BMRSEB

Enlightened
If you can return it do so, for the same price get the Advance Auto Parts Professional's Choice 3Watt LED or AAP3W 2C (as it's known on CPF). Do a search in this section, it has gotten good reviews and is very similar to the TaskForce 3W 2C available at Lowes that's sells for $10 more, $30..

WNG

Enlightened
looks like a perfect candidate for a CREE XRE.
Aspherical lens, 1.5W boost circuit, Nuwai manufacturing quality.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Hmmm ... a 2C light.

Why not stuff 3 CR123s into the thing and see how the LED likes to be overdriven? ;)

A lot of us here do this with 2C Mags ... and 4-5 cell bulbs. The only helpful piece to really 'mod' is a shim for inside the barrel (battery tube) but it isn't absolutely necessary. You can use rolled up paper, tape, etc ...
to take up the extra space because of the skinnier CR123 batts.