Where to get 3w star/ emitter?

MacGyver

Newly Enlightened
I apologize if this is not in the correct place. Also, I did try searching but perhaps not with the correct terms?

I have a 3w Dorcy lantern in which the LED has died. Kids left it on for several hrs straight, perhaps they weren't designed for this?
Anyway, It's a white 3w side emitter. I can replace preferably the star, or just the emitter if easier to get.

Also, since it's a side emitter, I presume a Prolight or Cree won't work as a direct replacement?
Recommendations welcome :)
Thanks

Flashlight Enthusiast
side emitters are much less comon I assume its a 6 volt lantern? also I doubt it died from bein gon unelss its got horrible thermal dynamcis or something.

MacGyver

Newly Enlightened
Thanks 65535. Any recommendations where to get one?
Yes it's 6V style, has 4xD adapter in it.
http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=414291

I'm not sure why it died.
Actually it still lights, just enough so that in the dark you can see a barely perceptible glow from the emitter. Brand new batteries don't make a difference.
It's a handy enough light I'd like to fix it.

Illum

Flashaholic
the flaw of this light is that its bound to cook itself....even driven at 1 watt

look at the base of the star, the "heatsink" its resting on is plastic, that gives the luxeon emitter no where to dump its waste heat. If you look closely on several mods or flashlight disassemblies you will see that almost always: the base where the luxeon star is mounted to is metal and usually mounted with screws but I'd prefer thermal epoxy for better heat transfer.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/dorcy_3wlantern.htm

MacGyver

Newly Enlightened
Thank you FlashKat, theledlight site doesn't appear to have 3w side emitters in white, but the luxeonstar site does :)

Illum_the_nation, good observation, I will see if I can add any help to the existing heatsinking, or just note to use it sparingly...
I'm guessing they didn't test the run time in one continuous line:thinking:

Christexan

Enlightened
Hmmm, as good a place as any...
Regarding heatsinking, I'm a poor, machine-tool-less modder, so I'm always looking for creative ways to make stuff, and was looking for "copper sheet" last night (not easy to find in general without special ordering)... anyhow...
I've made some heatsinks out of copper pipe (yep, slice, cut, and pounded flat), nice 1" "H" patterns for Cree XR-E emitters to keep from shorting the contacts... anyhow, these fit in the 1" alu tube that is perfect for housing Ledil lenses... but it's not a huge heatsink area (but is pressed onto the aluminum underneath with thermal grease), and although alu is #2 for heatsinking (of easily accommodated stuff), I wanted more copper surface area... so my idea was to line the inside as much as possible with copper sheeting, extending it out of the housing for a direct-to-ambient all-copper thermal path...
I finally hit on the idea of copper roofing... and while in the roofing section at Home Depot (yes, there wasn't any copper roofing there), saw the "flashing" department... well, I'm willing to gamble, so walked over, and BINGO, they have rolls of copper sheet flashing, very thin and soft (perfect for shaping), for like $18...
Long story short (TOO LATE)... in the above issue with the lantern, I don't know how much base area is available in the lantern under the star and how much vertical clearance, but if it's a 3" diameter base with a 1" (whatever) star on it, a 3" disk of the copper sheeting under the star might make a huge difference in heat management.

Illum

Flashaholic
from the pictures, the plastic disk seem to be mounted on the reflector...if this is the case, adding in a heatsink might cause the polycarbonate reflector to melt..., but if not, you should be able to get a ideal sized heatsink for it...something like the south bridge heatsink on your cpu

something like this
http://www.short-media.com/images/m...ds/gigabyte_7nnxp/box/dpsheatsinkpinkgoop.jpg

for the small space and maybe a copper sheet somewhere inside..the possibilities are endless, provided its not mounted to the reflector:ohgeez: