Any rechargeable battery solution for the SF A2?

MSHasegawa

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to this scene but learned a lot in the past 7-8 weeks by just reading through CPF. I appreciate all the knowledge accumulated here.

I've had a 4D Mag for many, many years but didn't think much about the performance aspect of it until I encountered and purchased an Inova XO2 at REI late last summer. I started to look into the LED light scene and realized that it was very, very deep! One thing that bothered me was the use of CR123 primary cells. Beside the expense, my preference is to use rechargeable batteries (environment and what-not).

I then purchased a Fenix L1T. I use it with Eneloop NiMH and I may call this my EDC although I don't carry a flashlight with me all the time.

Then, thanks to JS' excellent write-up, I became very interested in the SF A2. In fact, it is on order now. I hope it is all that I'm expecting it to be...

My question is this: Is there a viable rechargeable battery solution for the A2? I looked all over CPF and what I have been able to find is that the answer is "no". Is this really so?

I appreciate your help on this issue. Thank you for your support in advance.

Michael

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
I would like to know answer too because I have a streamlight TT2L that is similar to A2 that I would like to use rechargeables with. I modded it slightly to use Dorcy Spyder bulb for increased brightness at cost of 1 hour runtime vs 2-2.5.

Visible EM Wave

Enlightened
I've been using 850mAh unprotected RCR123 on my A2. Never properly measure the runtime but it's about 30-40min. I understand that this will overdrive the LEDs but so far I have no problem with it.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that I've tried it (I have not) but I heard that some people use RCR123's in their A2's. The problems are:
1) Fit - most RCR123's are larger diameter than primaries, so they won't fit since SF doesn't want us using them. Some UNregulated RCR's fit, but they inherently carry more risk, especially when paired up and will not shut down when you overdrain them, so they may last for fewer recharges.
2) The higher voltage of RCR's (4.2 fresh off the charger, 3.7 the rest of the time) is too high for the LED's (direct drive). The Incan is regulated via PWM, so the over voltage is apparently OK as far as the Xenon bulb in concerned.

So some have found RCR's that fit, and you may blow the LED's, you may not. I'd rather not risk it. There are 3.0-3.2V regulated RCR123s, and somebody may release small diameter versions that fit more lights someday. That is what I'm waiting for. I use them in Inovas that don't like high voltage (T1, T3).

Do it at your own risk.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
so if i unscrewed the leds from my a2 and left the incandecent bulb will it be ok? to bad somone cant come up with a solution to not overdrive the leds and for all to be ok with a rechargable.