Notebook modded with Cree XR-E, current regulated, infinite brightness levels.

Vegeta

Newly Enlightened
The title is no joke. A vendor at work tried to bribe me into buying some equipment by giving me some a free notebook with a beefy aluminum cover. When I saw that metal plate, I forgot what he was trying to sell and thought to myself, "that notebook is just begging to be modded" and this is the result :D

notebook.jpg

I drew a template on paper and proceeded to cut the sheet with my limited set of tools.
cut.jpg

After a few hours of pain and sore fingers, things are finally taking shape. Based on the inscribed text I guess this box will have a little "Sun" inside :D .
front1.jpg

back1.jpg

back2.jpg

The circuit utilizes the LTC3490 driver but I modified it to go above beyond 350mA while using two cells for the input.
twocell.jpg

I found that when Vctrl is between 0.2Vin and 0.9Vin, the current output for my particular circuit varied linearly and could be calculated by Iout = 1485(Vctrl/Vin - 0.2)

I used a 100K audio potentiometer with a SPST switch to control the output. I added two resistors so that the full rotation of the potentiometer could be utilized for brightness control.
pot.jpg

On the low setting, Vctrl is just under 0.2Vin so the light stays off. On the highest setting, I capped it at just under 0.6Vin so my current is limited to 587mA. If I don't set an upper limit, the circuit can actually put out around 1A but efficiency will drop considerably at higher currents. At 587mA output, I am measuring about 90% efficiency and everything runs nice and cool.

I used a dremel tool to cut the potentiometer shorter and carved some grooves to give it a little more grip. A P4 Cree XR-E was used with an NX05 optic. The optics was a PITA to center but it was all I had. It only takes a few minutes to swap out the optics in the future anyway if I get a hold of something better.

It only needs two cells to run but I put two pairs of cells in parallel to double the capacity. This should more than double the runtime since the circuit gets more efficient when the voltage sag less under load. The useable capacity of the cells should also be greater with the lower current draw.
back3.jpg

top.jpg

front2.jpg

bottom.jpg

front.jpg

A shot of the LED running at 1mA to show how low it can go. Current draw at the input is about 2mA so you can get some insane runtimes.
1ma.jpg

Shot of a wall about 8 feet away with current at 587mA.
wall.jpg

A lamp about 8 feet away.
lamp.jpg

With its super low center of gravity, it becomes the ultimate candle mode light. I built this light as a tent light but I found that it has replaced the lamp on my nightstand :p .

Unlike some current regulated lights that leave you in the dark minutes after falling out of regulation, this light can be dialed down to give hours if not days of additional low light if you really need it.

carrot

Flashaholic
Thats a pretty nifty mod... so are you gonna buy stuff from the vendor if he promises to get you more notebooks? ;)

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vegeta said:
When I saw that metal plate, I forgot what he was trying to sell and thought to myself, "that notebook is just begging to be modded" and this is the result :D

Hmmm. . . I thought I was bad.

Vegeta

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
Thats a pretty nifty mod... so are you gonna buy stuff from the vendor if he promises to get you more notebooks? ;)

I think my fingers took too much of a beating so I won't attempt something like this for a while.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh. I thought that you had replaced the LED backlight of a notebook computer with a more efficient Cree LED so that you could get the same backlight brightness at a lower power level, thus extending battery runtime. I think such a mod might be useful as LEDs are getting much more efficient, for devices that are LED backlit.

chefgrill

Newly Enlightened
2xTrinity said:
Oh. I thought that you had replaced the LED backlight of a notebook computer with a more efficient Cree LED so that you could get the same backlight brightness at a lower power level, thus extending battery runtime. I think such a mod might be useful as LEDs are getting much more efficient, for devices that are LED backlit.

2xTrinity, Notebooks usually don't use led backlight. They usually use a cold cathode florescent lamp like this: http://laptops.home.att.net/ccfls.jpg

Illum

Flashaholic
2xTrinity said:

erm, chefgrill's right...and CCFLs are actually more efficient in projecting light over a flat surface evenly....and the long little inverters make up most of the loss when you run it on battery...

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is so twisted on so many different levels.....I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!

Nice Mod !!!

Vegeta

Newly Enlightened
carbine15 said:
how well does the pot work on this mod?

The adjustment is actually quite smooth. I added the two resistors in series so that very little of the pot's rotation is wasted trying to get within the 0.2Vin and 0.9Vin range where current adjustment is possible. The light turns on very shortly after clicking on the built in switch and continues to get brighter throughout the entire rotation. When I turn the light off slowly, it feels like I'm in a theater with the lights going out just before the show starts. Besides cutting off all current draw when the pot is clicked into the "off" position" the built in switch feature helps to lock it in that position which guards against having the light turning on when the dial rubs against something by accident.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks like a frys electronics price tag on that potentiometer and the optic looks like it came from a Lowes Taskforce 3AA 1watt LED light.

Vegeta

Newly Enlightened
65535 said:
at 1mA your lowin gmor eenergy through Self discharge that the LED :crackup:
My thoughts exactly!

carbine15 said:
looks like a frys electronics price tag on that potentiometer and the optic looks like it came from a Lowes Taskforce 3AA 1watt LED light.
Correct about the price tag but not the optics :p. The optics was purchased as a loose part a few years ago. The notch was filed away and it's cradled inside a cut down minimag reflector that was widened just enough to fit snugly around the collar of the XR-E. A cylinder was made by rolling a rectangular strip cut from the notebook cover and it sits in front of the optics to hold it in place. The cylinder was pressed into the face plate and glued down by some Arctic Alumina epoxy that was left over after I bonded the LED in place.

Vegeta

Newly Enlightened
I just ran a test to see if heat would be an issue for this mod and the results show it shouldn't be a problem. The room temperature was 70ºF or 21.1ºC. I left the light standing vertically on a table and ran it on the highest setting for 30 minutes. At the end of the test, I picked up the light and it was barely warm. I placed an infrared ear thermometer against the back side of light, which happens to be only a few millimeters away from the back side of the LED, and got a temperature reading of 97.6ºF or 36.4ºC.

BobVA

Enlightened
The backlight situation may be changing, though:

"Created to harness the innovation in the Microsoft® Windows Vista™ operating system, the Portégé® R400 is an exquisite notebook and an elegant Tablet PC all in one. Encased in a scratch-resistant ultraviolet clear-coat case, the 12.1" diagonal backlit LED wide-screen high-brightness display with wide viewing angles, in conjunction with Microsoft® Windows Aero™,..

Toshiba R400

Advantages of LED backlights are thinner displays, more even lighting and no mercury, according to what I've read.

Nice job on your "notebook backlight", btw!

Cheers,
Bob