AW 17670 and LL Striker, what am i doing wrong ?

Secur1

Enlightened
Well like the title suggests, i got a pair of protected 17670 cells from AW, charged them in the Ultrafire charger i got until the leds went green, then did the proccedure with the button on the striker, popped the cell in aaaaaaand nothing... tried the other cell again nothing, tried the 2xrcr123 i got, the light works...

So what am i doing wrong here guys ?
Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably not making contact at the plus end....I've had to put a drop of solder on 2 of my 17670 cells for certain lights to work.....have to be careful- you can ruin a cell if you heat it too much.

Secur1

Enlightened
Thanks Lighthouse u where right :)
I just tried a DIY job with some selotape and a ball of tin foil and it worked perfectly :D

So now i just need to get hold of a soldering iron....

AW

Newly Enlightened
DO NOT solder directly on the cell. The heat from the soldering may melt/deform the plastic seal in the +ve PTC/vent module rendering the cell useless and leaking.

Secur1

Enlightened
I'm an electrical electronic engineer by degree :p so i have donne my share of soldering jobs, even on my own pc hardware, so i know how sensitive it is. Thanks for the heads up tho :)

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me 2nd/3rd the comments re:soldering on lithium cells - it's simply a bad idea. It would be best to have some tabs welded on and simply use a copper/metal space until you can get it done right.

Secur1

Enlightened
Where can i find tabs and how can i weld them ?

EDIT: The 17670 cells have tabs, but it seems they are not raised enough to make proper contact in the Striker...
So i think a small tab of solder on the tip of the tab wouldn't cause any damage to the cell...

Last edited: