Request flying white/NVG light recommendations

gearpig

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, new guy. Love the forum, but a bit overwhelmed with the information. I need a new light. The military issue ones aren't cutting it. I found this forum while searching for something to fit specific needs.

I fly for the USAF. I have an NVG compatible LED microphone liplight, an LED fingerlight, and a minimag with the red/green lenses. (which I recently lost and replaced with another equally marginal light)

I'm getting tired of losing the lenses and switching lights for different needs in the cockpit. Maybe I'm asking for a lot, but here's what I'd like.

- Long battery life (LED based?)
- Small size with both a pocket clip and lanyard
- a button switch, not a twist style on/off
- variable instenstiy
- small low-intensity focused beam 4-6" inches at 1 foot away (for reading charts)
- a larger diameter beam to see a 4' circle at about 30'. (for checking wing leading edge)
- a very high intensity beam for sticking out the window when taxiing at unlit airfields
- The ability to easily switch between white and green (NVG compatible)
- SOS blinking

What do you think? Am I asking for too much? I ordered the Jet C-LE as my first semi-serious non Gov't issue light the other day, but don't want to tape a NVG compat lens/filter to it.

I appreciate the consideration!

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Gearpig!

I'm not a pilot, but the SureFire A2 was designed for y'all's needs; check it out. It has an incandescent lamp that's regulated (it doesn't dim like regular flashlights do when batteries are spent), and a series of 5mm LED for "low" level. The LED's come in several colors, but there's a version that has Y/G LED's designed specifically for use with NVG.

I'm not 100% sure you'll find a light with all those specs at the same time; you might have to accept compromises here and there.

BobVA

Enlightened
I second GreenLED - the A2 is worth a look. It only has two "speeds" - either the low power LED's (only one color but you get to pick from several, including white and NVG- compatible YG) or the VERY bright, regulated, long-throw incandescent light. (You can back out the tail cap to "lock out" the incan light, which might be a good idea in the cockpit at night.)

Another option is the Surefire Kroma. The "Milspec" version has YG and IR selectable low-power LED's and a separate, two-level "main" white LED behind a TIR optic for long throw. (The civilian version of the Kroma replaces the YG and IR with blue and red low power LED's.) I don't own a Kroma, and only played with one briefly at SHOT last year, so I can't compare the long-throw capabilites with those of the A2. Perhaps somebody with both can comment.

Thanks for keeping us safe!

Cheers,
BobVA

g36pilot

Enlightened
This all civilian (few discrete lighting needs) pilot will also recommend the Surefire A2. Others will have to address NVG requirements.

The incandescent works well for exterior use and the previous recommendation of rotating the tail cap to "lock out" that lamp for LED only activation is a necessary feature for your application.

Also found this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/96710

Thanks for your service.

supes

Enlightened
Yeah, the SF A2 Aviator is great for this kind of work. I have no experience flying though so take my opinion for what its worth...none...

I would say get an addition light too since you need all those colors. The Gerber Recon-M(military version, more durable), it has white, blue, red, and green. Plus it runs on 1 AA battery. But I would only suggest this for things such as map reading or close up work since it's not very bright. Only thing is it has no strobe.

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1569

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know of one light that can handle all of your needs but I can think of one that may replace a couple of them -- the Phantom Warrior puts out a NV compatible beam in green and also has a white beam for color rendering which has had the IR filtered out and is also totally NV compatible. You'll need your MIL ID number to order.

Another way to get rid of the need to carry a dedicated white light in the cockpit would be to buy either the Rigel Systems MIL-Skylite or MIL-Skylite Mini. (I think that there may still be a CPF Group Buy on the Minis) Both of the MIL-Skylites may be had with NV compatible AND white LEDs in the same light. The Rigels are controlled with a thumbwheel which gives virtually infinite control of the output. Even without the Group Buy the Rigels are much cheaper than the Phantom Warriors. The Rigel Skylites are also the only lights I'm aware of that actually have LEDs in them that have been submitted, tested and certified compatible with current NV gear by the US Air Force Lab at White Sands.

Last edited:

OceanView

Enlightened
Just a further twist on Supes' suggestion of the Gerber Recon-M. There's another newer milspec version, the Gerber Recon M-CPL with white, red, and NVG-compatible green LED's. I believe that you can purchase an IR-tail emitter for it, too. Twisty, though, and not particularly bright, like the A2.

There's also a Recon-X, with a Xenon white lamp (28 lumens), and LED red and green (not specifically mentioned to be NVG-compatible). So, brighter, and with a button switch.

I don't think a single light can fulfill all of your criteria in a single package, so I'll also mention the single color Gerber Infinity' Ultra's and milspec Ultra-M's, too, like red or NVG-compatible green.

colonelz

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a couple of Phantom Warriors.....they are great! Not extremely bright, but very versatile and they use AA batteries.

Jeffa

Newly Enlightened
How bright do you think they are? I've been looking at these myself.

wheel

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a couple of Phantom Warriors.....they are great! Not extremely bright, but very versatile and they use AA batteries.

I have used the Phantom Warrior Tactical Lighting System while flying under NVG's for a very long time and will use nothing else. The light has a tactical mode that can be dimmed down as low as you want. I never use the green as the white is better for reading maps and has negligible effect on the night vision system. Rotate the head out of the tactical mode and you have a nice bright white beam that can be dimmed also for things like preflight and post flight.