Trouble for Cree?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Heard a story on the radio driving to work today. It comes from the latest edition of a local publication, The Triangle Business Journal. It said that the Cree company due to dumping of LEDs by Asian companies had to quietly lay off a bunch of people and shut down production for a week. Also speculated on the sale of the company to someone like GE or Phillips. No other major news outlets are mentioning anything this morning.

Guess I better hurry up and buy more lights to support the local economy.

Geoff

amanichen

Enlightened
Flying Turtle said:
Heard a story on the radio driving to work today. It comes from the latest edition of a local publication, The Triangle Business Journal. It said that the Cree company due to dumping of LEDs by Asian companies had to quietly lay off a bunch of people and shut down production for a week. Also speculated on the sale of the company to someone like GE or Phillips. No other major news outlets are mentioning anything this morning.

Guess I better hurry up and buy more lights to support the local economy.

Geoff
What exactly do you mean by "dumping"? Cancelled orders? Which companies did the dumping? Why was the dumping done?

At this point, it's still just a rumor..

A quick bit of internet research shows that Cree had some layoffs in June 2005 because of a bad quarter in one sector of their business. Past news about their solid state lighting has generally been positive.

Last edited:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree's stock amazed me as it was unchanged witht he Surefire news. Guess us flashlight nuts just feel things are bigger than they are LOL

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Just reporting a 20 sec. news blip. I'm no economist or businessman. To me dumping means flooding the market with some product, maybe for very little profit. Nothing specific was mentioned concerning who or why. I think the report said the layoffs and shutdown occurred very recently. Of course, it is still all rumor.

Geoff