Weather Alert

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Just a warning to those that live up here, and a chance for those that don't to laugh at us fools
smile.gif

Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service

...ASHLAND WI-BAYFIELD WI-CARLTON/SOUTH ST. LOUIS MN-DOUGLAS WI-IRON WI- SOUTHERN COOK/NORTH SHORE MN-SOUTHERN LAKE/NORTH SHORE MN- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ASHLAND...SUPERIOR... DULUTH AND GRAND MARAIS 400 PM CST TUE JAN 21 2003
...WIND CHILL WATCH IN EFFECT WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND EARLY THURSDAY...

TEMPERATURES OF 15 TO 20 BELOW MAY BE ACCOMPANIED BY WINDS OF 20 TO 25 MPH ACROSS THE WATCH AREA LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND EARLY THURSDAY MORNING. THIS DANGEROUS COMBINATION OF WIND AND COLD WOULD BE ABLE TO FREEZE EXPOSED FLESH IN 5 TO 10 MINUTES...AND CAUSE DEATH FROM BODILY HEAT LOSS AND FREEZING IN A RELATIVELY SHORT PERIOD OF TIME.

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Hey WitsEnd, at least you can use your lithium powered lights and let them show their might against those lights that are obviously owned by the "uninitiated flashlight owner". Aren't lithiums supposedly good to about -40?

Seriously, I guess you guys must limit your outdoor exposure quite a lot during these "cold snaps". I wonder if your local search and rescue squads use lithium powered lights? Around here they do, but it only gets down to the single digits fahrenheit, like right at this moment as I type. It's 8 degrees out there, which is enough for me to go into "hibernation" mode. Since I work in a home office, I don't have any sort of commute. Thankfully! But my sympathy does go out to those that do.

Ed.

BillPilot

Newly Enlightened
The next benchmark for flashlights could be how much heat they generate. Perhaps a competition to see which lights can melt ice fastest...

--Bill

JJHitt

Enlightened
I'm not laughing at ya'll but it's no accident that I live on the Gulf Coast. A hurricane every few years is a small price to pay for getting away from all that.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
JJHitt,

You know we are supposed to make low 20's Thurs and Fri nights...

That could shut this place down... it happened once in my lifetime.... all them busted pipes!

However I'm pretty sure I'm thrilled not to live in the Northeast for several reasons not the least of which is weather!

JJHitt

Enlightened
Yeah... I was here for the winters of both '84 and '90 ... both of them going into the single digits with lots of busting pipes (builders dont insulate them down here) and rolling blackouts.

Just another reason to have emergency lighting on hand. That used to mean having 3 days of candles and D-cells back at the house.

Now I carry several weeks worth of emergency lighting in my back pocket. (TechAss Xray)

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Somehow I just cannot relate to this post...heh heh!

Seriously, as a standing promise, any CPF'ers visiting our lovely Sandwich Isles must be sure to look me up. We'll go out after dark, have a nice dinner, and then play wi -- er, compare our flashlights...

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you can watch the Superbowl tomorrow to see how miserable, and snowy, and cold, and overcast it is around here (unless, of course, it isn't.)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I hear it's supposed to be in the mid-upper 60s with light showers down there in SD when The Supertolietbowl starts.
grin.gif

Here in Seattle, we're expecting low 50s and heavy rain.
tongue.gif

LiteFreek

Newly Enlightened
I can relate Wit's End. We had a bit of that weather last week over here in Maine but it only got down to -15 where I live. With the nice breeze that accompanied the temperature I nearly froze my fingers off in the time it took to put air in my tires. But even with the extreme cold there's no other place I'd rather live.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, Maine can get cold. I remember visiting and watching a 4th of July celebration there in 1989 wearing all my winter clothes and still freezing. Beautiful, though.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by LiteFreek:
I can relate Wit's End. We had a bit of that weather last week over here in Maine but it only got down to -15 where I live. With the nice breeze that accompanied the temperature I nearly froze my fingers off in the time it took to put air in my tires. But even with the extreme cold there's no other place I'd rather live.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It was -12 here last night. Just in walking from my car to my apartment (about 30 feet) without gloves on, my hands felt like they were frostbitten. It blew it me away how fast this can actually happen.

At least I wasn't at Saranac lake. It was -35 last night which beat -34 a couple weeks ago. I just missed it. I was at Lake Placid on Saturday, which is just a few miles from there.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Wow this turned out to be a 'Hot' topic
smile.gif
I'm still warmer than International Falls most of the time. They make it on the national news fairly regularly. But Silver Bay Has made it a few times.
Have you evar drained the oil from your car?---
So you could bring it inside to keep warm?
Have you ever put hot coals under your oil pan?---
Have you ever heard fire engines after oil dripped down on those coals? (I haven't done that but it has happened
bluesigh.gif
)