How's The Weather There ?

Portland 'burbs were rainy this morning (big surprise). Low to mid 40's during the day. Then for a brief period I had this unusually clear view of Mount Hood. It's about 50 miles to the east and pic was taken thru the clubhouse window of the apartment complex where I work. I wanted a shot of St Helens about 80 miles north, but I can only see that from the top floor of an apartment that's presently occupied.

View attachment 57921
WOW! L@@Ks like a wonderful place to live.

I'm 30 minutes away from downtown where the "mostly peaceful" fire-bombings and riots happened in 2020. It's safe but pricey on this hilltop. There are definitely picturesque landscapes nearby and within easy driving distance, but I couldn't afford to live here without my employee discount and tenure. Still, I grew up in NJ so I can't complain. ;)

Reactions: TPA

TPA

Enlightened
I won't say freezing but definitely chilly in Florida this past week. Mid 40s at night. I couldn't get warm last night until I finally got in bed with the electric blanket going. At the same time, below is how much I've spent on heating this year, so I'm not complaining.

Screenshot_20240222-121425_Kasa.jpg

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
BOOM!!!

Just had a lightning strike that was really close, maybe a few houses away. The whole place shook when it hit. Power is still on and I don't hear any sirens so I think it hit a metal light pole and went straight to ground.

TPA

Enlightened
I love Pecos Hank's videos. He's a storyteller, not some adrenaline junkie.

This was last year, approx 150 feet away at my temporary home. My cable modem didn't make it through, despite having proper surge protection. I'm assuming pure EMP rather than voltage is what got it. Also lost an SDR radio USB stick too, further hinting at EMP. The mismatched contrast at the top vs bottom of the image is also due to the lightning strike. The camera's still ticking though.

Screenshot_20240229_022618.jpg

I've twice been in buildings which took direct lightning hits. Both fortunately were well-designed and properly-grounded with a single grounding point, so no damage to the buildings or electronics.

I have a nasty habit of attracting "spinnies" and "fluffies" as my better half calls them. Spinny = funnel cloud / tornado / waterspout. Fluffy = hurricane. It sounds much more pleasant to say there's a Fluffy heading our way. My childhood home has been hit by 3 separate tornadoes over some 40 years. Two whilst I was there, once with the current owner. Doing the math, I've been in 5 tornadoes in my lifetime, and I mean directly IN them. Not intentionally either. I had one sneak up on me while driving on I-75 about a decade ago. Fortunately, Florida's tornadoes are usually absolutely weak, and all of the ones I experienced were. Now, our fall/winter tornadoes are the real deal, F3s. Those I don't mess with.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Temperature here has been up and down above/below freezing but until yesterday not too cold. Overnight, temperature dropped rapidly from around +13C (a record here for Feb.) to about -13C, a change of 26C overnight. High winds, a bit of rain and thunderstorm rumblings rounded things out.

Side story, a squirrel made off with my outdoor wireless temperature sensor a few weeks ago. It was on the back porch, sitting loose. A few days ago I found it nearby, had been covered by snow. Cover was off but not really damaged, though it had tooth marks. I opened it up and dried it out, working again.

Local sensors are set to F, just preference. Clock-radio displays in/out temperature side by side. Inside temp is kept low (60F). Yesterday, in and out nearly reached "par" which usually only happens in later months. In winter, differential easily reaches 30-40F or more.

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast

This was last year, approx 150 feet away at my temporary home. My cable modem didn't make it through, despite having proper surge protection. I'm assuming pure EMP rather than voltage is what got it. Also lost an SDR radio USB stick too, further hinting at EMP. The mismatched contrast at the top vs bottom of the image is also due to the lightning strike. The camera's still ticking though.
To my knowledge, lightening does not generate EMP, nuclear blasts do, possibly some other processes. Good thing it doesn't or electrical/electronic systems would be regularly wiped out over large areas. Risetime of real EMP is way faster than lightening, that's what gets you.

Dave

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

View attachment 58408

I've twice been in buildings which took direct lightning hits. Both fortunately were well-designed and properly-grounded with a single grounding point, so no damage to the buildings or electronics.

I have a nasty habit of attracting "spinnies" and "fluffies" as my better half calls them. Spinny = funnel cloud / tornado / waterspout. Fluffy = hurricane. It sounds much more pleasant to say there's a Fluffy heading our way. My childhood home has been hit by 3 separate tornadoes over some 40 years. Two whilst I was there, once with the current owner. Doing the math, I've been in 5 tornadoes in my lifetime, and I mean directly IN them. Not intentionally either. I had one sneak up on me while driving on I-75 about a decade ago. Fortunately, Florida's tornadoes are usually absolutely weak, and all of the ones I experienced were. Now, our fall/winter tornadoes are the real deal, F3s. Those I don't mess with.
Wow, what a picture.

I'm sure that your equipment was hit by the EMP. We lost some equipment at work a couple of summers ago when a structure got hit a couple of blocks away. Our equipment was connected to long lengths of communications cabling which acted as an antenna for the EMP.

Reactions: TPA