Inexpensive PR drop in for PT Tec 40?

gunga

Flashaholic
Hello.

I'm wondering if there is an in-expensive drop in for the 4 cell PT tec 40?

I suppose it is a lot like an Impact XL except for the bulb and rubber exterior.

The SMJ LED PR drop in looks ideal but only works for 2 cell lights.

Any thoughts?

:shrug:

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are plenty others that are brighter but are not in the $8-$10 price range

TMorita

Enlightened
The PT40 isn't good for a high-current LED conversion because the bulb is completely encased in plastic, and there's very little metal contact for heat dissipation.

Toshi

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Tec-40 and a Tec-20. I tried the SMJLED-PR in the Tec-20. Wasn't impressed at all. There was basically no throw and all the light just culminated into some floody, bluish circle that wasn't really useful.

I have other lights the SMJLED-PR excels in for what they are (Coleman 2D floating, for example.), but the Tec 20/40 just isn't one of them.

With that said, If Princeton-Tec find a way to utilize a new Cree (without being too under driven) in a Tec-40 body, I'll be all over it.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
TMorita said:
The PT40 isn't good for a high-current LED conversion because the bulb is completely encased in plastic, and there's very little metal contact for heat dissipation.

Toshi

I wonder what they did different with this model (named: The Shockwave) that has 3x3watt LEDs to deal with the heat:
http://www.princetontec.com/products/index.php?id=29&type=0&use=2

And wonder if similar can be used in their smaller models...