drops-ins for a 2 c Cell Mag?

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
Well, amazingly, in checking out a number of flashlights, the Mag I like best is the one that is the lightest I could find. That is the 2 C Cell mag. I like the throw (in my opinion, the only thing a Mag's got going for it), but I'd like to add more brightness...

I'm looking for either a good, bright, drop-in bulb, or some simple modification I can make to turn up the amount of light this baby puts out.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two cell MagLED module will add a light of light to that instrument. But if you can bear the extra length of the 3 C, the 3 cell MagLED module seems to yield the best performance overall.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a conversion for a 6C? The poor 6C is looking so dim and yellow these days.
Mag doesn't seem to make a drop-in bigger than 4C/D.

I'm using a 4C/D module in my 5D, hope it doesn't burn out before I can figure out something better.

Recent Bay Area mag shopping:

Frys has 3D mags, including dark green, and 2C/D modules.

Home Depot in San Mateo has 2C Mags, including blusish purple, and 3C/D modules. They had 1 4C/D module which I bought.

Home Depot in Redwood City has 2C Mags in black only, and 4D Mags,
4D MagLEDs (in boring colors) and 4D MagLED modules.

Last edited:

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a Mag LED 2 cell module in a 2-C mag and I am pretty impressed by it. My mom has been using it for a walking light, and it puts out a lot of light for the cost and runtime.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cribbage said:
Why don't you "drop in" 3 CR123s and a Mag 5-cell Xenon bulb?

BAM !!

Just tried that, and it's pretty bright. I wonder how long the bulb will last.

I suppose that 3 RCR123A's would make it instaflash :poof:

a pair of 17500s or 18500s on the other hand...

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Rusty Joe:)

Another bright possibility with long runtime:

Buy a C-Mag heatsink, LuxIII UxxK Led,glas window, build all together and power it by one 18650 cell.

Best regards

____
Tom

DocArnie

Newly Enlightened
Cribbage said:

BAM !!

This is an awesome mod. I use it with a 6-cell bulb though. I need to try that with the 5-cell bulb.
It's a cheap but effective tactical light with clicky, low weight and a nice form. Plus, the bulbs cost nothing compared to a Surefire bulb.
And of course you can use Pila rechargeables.

BTW, I think the Maglite 2C is by far the most beautiful flashlight ever made. A timeless classic that never looks old.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Right before Christmas, when Maglites were on sale at Home Despot, I bought a purple 2C model for $12. I gave it a PVC insert (free, I had some on hand) put three CR123s in it and tipped it with the spare bulb (krypton) from my seldom-used 5C Maglite. Really aesome little light ... especially for $12. :)

As a comparison, I have more $$$ 'invested' in a 2AA Minimag with a Nite-Ize conversion, a useful but unimpressive light. :sigh:

Now I'm looking for a local source of 5-cell xenon bulbs (LMSA501) but so far
no luck. :(

Cydonia

Enlightened
Forgive this question, but has anyone taken a 2C Maglite with MagLED and put 2AA inside via a pvc spacer? Wouldn't the result be more pleasing than the 2AA or 3AA MiniMagLED flashlight? You will ask "why bother" and all I can say is... to use AA's instead, to get the C form factor, and perhaps better run time than a 2AA MiniMag of course!

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
the advantage of a 2c with 2AA batteries over a 2AA is throw becasue of the larger reflector. Why not just put two C cells in it and take advantage of the runtime of C vs AA batteries? The 2AA and 3AA minimagLED lights give off very pleasing light so I don't have any idea what your question is unless you have AA rechargeables you'd like to use. In that case get some AA to C adapters or just get a 2 or 3 AA minimagLED.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of my rechargeable C's are old and have less capacity than newer AA's anyway,

I have a set of the spacers and use them occasionally.

Cribbage

Newly Enlightened
Cribbage said:

BAM !!

Hah! Quoting myself!!! :rock:

Anyway, try the same thing with a 6-cell Mag bulb, and you at least double your run time, plus if you use a difusser lens from flashlightlens.com. and you get an awesome flood light. This is the one I carry in the truck for roadside emergencies.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
My two most used Mags are both 2C lights. One is stock with an SMJLED PR bulb dropped in and the reflector slightly sputtered. Not quite as bright as stock, but very usable amount of light, completely reliable and LONG running on a set of cells.

My other one has a more extensive mod. It has a U-bin Lux and a NFlex controller giving 8 levels of output and runs on 2 18650 cells. Great brightness, very nice throw. Very flexable. I used the stock (cut down) reflector for a while then installed a McGizmo 27L reflector. Looks odd from the business end, but I prefer the balance of throw vs hotspot size vs spillbeam to that of the stock or sputtered Mag reflector.

This is a pretty extensive mod, but when you find something that works PERFECTLY for you and ends your search for a particular light, that's all that really matters.

Edited for spelling.
rolleye11.gif

Last edited: