Xtar® ICR18650 from qualitychinagoods.com, Protected or???

whc

Enlightened
I could use some Protected 18650 batteries, and was just looking around for price comparison, and found the AW batteries to be quit expensive.

But is batteries like there from qualitychinagoods.com really protected? Nothing is specified in the product specification about protection, and the price is kind of low I think for protected cells...Have anyone tried this batteries?

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
You might take into consideration what you will be running with the protected 18650's.

AW's new cells have a higher current threshold allowing them to power certain hotwire bulbs such as the WA1185. Most other brands of protected cells will not do this.

If you are powering an LED light, you're probably OK with about any protected cell.

Good luck,
Bill

whc

Enlightened
cd-card-biz said:
You might take into consideration what you will be running with the protected 18650's.

AW's new cells have a higher current threshold allowing them to power certain hotwire bulbs such as the WA1185. Most other brands of protected cells will not do this.

If you are powering an LED light, you're probably OK with about any protected cell.

Good luck,
Bill
It is for a LED flashlight, the Lumapower M1 XR-E. I have some 18650 that T thought was protected, but I ran the cell down to 2.49V and the "protection" did not shout off the battery. That is why I am looking for some protected cells. Maybe just buy them from AW even though they are $12 each, then I will know what to get (got several batteries from AW, and they all works wary well).

Was just wary well priced the ones at qualitychinagoods.com...

Last edited:

vortechs

Enlightened
whc said:
I could use some Protected 18650 batteries, and was just looking around for price comparison, and found the AW batteries to be quit expensive.

But is batteries like there from qualitychinagoods.com really protected? Nothing is specified in the product specification about protection, and the price is kind of low I think for protected cells...Have anyone tried this batteries?

See post #7 of this thread: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=99322

Here is the post:

I did some testing on one of Dae's protected 18650 cells (the ones that come with the XTAR, over here).

It measured 3.83V right out of the package.

I used some 10W wirewrap resistors to test how much current the cell could deliver and when the high-current protection would activate. I held the current for at least 30 seconds.
4 Ohms = 0.90 Amps
3 Ohms = 1.18 Amps
2 Ohms = 1.70-1.68 Amps
1.5 Ohm = 2.20-2.16 Amps
1.0 Ohm = 3.05-3.00 Amps
0.5 Ohm = 0 Amps (I read less than 0.5 Amps for less than a second before the protection cut the current to zero, repeated 3 times).

The cell measured 3.81V at the end of the tests.

The PCB protection in the cell appears to be working fine.

qcgoods2006

Newly Enlightened
Hi vortechs, thanks a lot, that's what we call flashaholic :)

please note that, actually our protected cells are 18670. it's based on 18630 and the PCB is 4mm in length. the DSD bay is a little short but it still works.

Last edited:

whc

Enlightened
Thanks all, just ordered 6 of the Xtar ICR18650 - 2200mAh - Protected from qualitychinagoods.com. I hope the quality is good, and that they will come before or together with my Lumapower M1 :)...

whc

Enlightened
Just received the batteries today, or that will say only 2 of the ordered and paid 6 batteries was in the package, not happy at all, slow shipping of the order, and when the package finally comes there is only 2 batteries of the much needed 6 batteries ordered. Don't think I will order from qualitychinagoods.com any more, just too slow and unorganized for my taste :(.

I hope they will ship the other 4 batteries FAST!!!