Premature LED failure in Stick-N-Click light

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Just had an LED failure in one of these Stick N Click lamps.

These use three AA cells and a 10 ohm resistor in series with a single LED and an on/off switch. There was no smoke or flickering - the LED just went open circuit.

I inspected the LED closely and there's no discoloration on the die cup and the bond wire is still in place. This is the first time I've seen an LED that just quietly went -poof- with no physical signs of distress. Makes me wonder if the others are likely to fail in the same manner.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "5000 lux" claim would be a good tip off that you're getting crap. My HDS with a Luxeon can't even get 5000 lux unless I'm really close to the light meter.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I didn't expect greatness from these things, only convenience. There's a 3-LED version of these lights; I wonder if that's for redundancy, for when one or two of them burn out!

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a rip off of the Osram Dot-it. That thing is done properly. You might as well pay a little more for something you know will work and is backed by a well-known company.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
THAT'S the one, the Dot-It. I forgot that it's made by Osram, a well-known and respected company. I'm sure those are higher quality than the cheap-o single LED units that I have.

TMorita

Enlightened
AndyTiedye said:
But the poor LED was trying as hard as it could to deliver 5000 lux. :poof:

They should've just said it was 5,000,000,000 picolumens.

Toshi

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I also purchased some of these "Stick N Click" lights from a catalogue in early-December 2006; however I have yet to have a failure.

PW: I'll update my Stick N Click web page with your comments - omitting your name & email address to protect your privacy of course. :thumbsup:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The_LED_Museum said:
PW: I'll update my Stick N Click web page with your comments - omitting your name & email address to protect your privacy of course. :thumbsup:

Thanks Craig! At least I can say that it gave it up in the name of science. :)

***EDIT*** BTW just sent you some closeup photos of the innards of the failed unit.

Last edited: