If i was to make a square flashlight...

rain_man_ind

Newly Enlightened
who would be interested

it would me made from a piece of barstock and then milled to a square
with round corners and would use surefire p61 incan bulbs, and if i can find
someone who sells clickies (just the internal assembly) that would make it even better

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds interesting (you may have a better chance of selling it as a really specialized shop type light with ability to use a wallwart supply and a flexible goosneck piece in order to mount it for lighting. I woudl buy that. Or just buy your version and drill tap a whole)

On another note you have teh mccliky and if you keep it cheap it sounds like a good idea. You might try actually using square aluminum and just shaving it smooth and clean cheaper that way I think. And just use a round stock inset.

rain_man_ind

Newly Enlightened
what im going to do is make the thing out of bar stock thread the head and tail cap, put it together and then machine it, this way it will be seamless

mdocod

Flashaholic
as long as you are going to a squared off design... why not move to squared off batteries as well.... li-po pack anyone? hehe... actually.. what kinda cells are you planning on making this compatible with?

we can always use more bodies that support 18mm diameter lithium cells.

I've always thought a light designed around the idea of dropping in the users preference in an MR8 or MR11 size halogen lamp would be neat... just thoughts here...

rain_man_ind

Newly Enlightened
I'm open to all suggestions, in fact if i can get even more that would be better, because i can design a light to be completely based around user preference, a li-po battery would be interesting, but kinda scary cause those things put off tremendous heat when under high draw situations. oh and if someone can show me a place that makes one piece reflector and lamp assemblies, or if anyone wants to help with the design and help me use a separate lamp and reflector

nzgunnie

Enlightened
As for batteries, something that will take 18mm (ie 2x18500s and running a P90 or simliar). Or a single 18650 and a 3.7v LA.

rain_man_ind

Newly Enlightened
ill be seeing PGP on thursday and he is going to give me a whole bunch of cells to take dimensions off of, and once i get those i will start on my prototype cause i have a few spare SF bulbs sitting around, but the last thing i need is a lens, i will probably steal the one from my 9p for now but i would like to know where i can find some that i can purchase

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lenses are pretty hard to come by. Flashlightlens.com can hook you up but the minumum run is pretty large by memory. It'd probably be easier to keep to standard, easily obtainable sizes.

Hope that helps!

PGP

Newly Enlightened
Check HERE for some stock size lenses. I will bring the batteries on thursday!

Patrick

rain_man_ind said:
ill be seeing PGP on thursday and he is going to give me a whole bunch of cells to take dimensions off of, and once i get those i will start on my prototype cause i have a few spare SF bulbs sitting around, but the last thing i need is a lens, i will probably steal the one from my 9p for now but i would like to know where i can find some that i can purchase