You guys are a really bad influence

prn

Newly Enlightened
Yeah! You know what I mean, don't you?

I've been lurking here for a few weeks now and figured it's about time to delurk and introduce myself. I've been accumulating questions lately so expect a small flurry of posts from me.

I guess I've always been a flashlight guy, just like I've always been a knife guy. I've tended to go for quantity over quality. I own mostly a bunch of Mags and Lumilights, along with a lot of miscellaneous others, not "bad" lights, but not something that I have to go further than the local Target to buy, either. I have always tried to have a light as handy as possible and have tended to stash them all over the place. I keep one in the top drawer of my nightstand, one in my wife's, one in my sock drawer [got to check the color of my socks in the morning after all], one in my briefcase, at least one in each car, a bunch located strategically [or is that "randomly"
confused.gif
] around the house, at least one flashlight and at least one knife in every toolbox. ["What's this about 'every' toolbox, dude? Just how many toolboxes are we talking about here?" Ummm, can I plead the fifth on that?
grin.gif
]

What I have always done with knives and not until fairly recently with lights is carry them constantly. I've carried a knife in my pocket virtually every day for the past 40 years or so. But until the past few years, I had not found a light that I thought was both useful enough and small enough to carry all the time. Photons and others of that size are small enough to carry comfortably and bright enough to be useful for many purposes, but their batteries are still expensive enough that you [or, at least, I, cheapskate that I am] don't feel like using them for very much. I just got an Arc AAA from William at TTS and I have to say that this is one impressive little puppy. For a 1-AAA light, it's just incredible. It's tiny, it's bright and it runs on a [cheap!
grin.gif
] AAA battery! It's the length of a Chapstick(TM) but smaller in diameter. It's almost too small to carry alone. I put a leather fob [often erroniously called a lanyard] like the one shown here on it and dropped into my pocket. I'm now anxiously
rolleyes.gif
awaiting one of normark's keychain sheaths for it and I'll be rearranging my keys and stuff when it arrives, which should be any time now.

Anyway, just as with knives, I never used to "collect" flashlights. I accumulated them. I stashed them where I could use them. I used them. But I only bought what I planned to use. Then about 3 years ago, I ran across www.bladeforums.com and the world lurched. I've spent way too much money on knives since then and now I'm starting to do it with flashlights too. (And that's really painful for a cheapskate like me.)

In the past couple of weeks, I got the Arc AAA I mentioned above along with a CMG Infinity, some batteries and a couple of Photons from William at TTS. A few more people are going to get lights for birthdays, etc. in the near future. In fact, I just gave one to a friend for his birthday. Another one who is going to get a light is my brother who has a birthday coming up in about 6 weeks. He's going to get a very bright present: one of the two Brinkman Legend LXs I bought at my local Meijer (food/etc store). I know it's nothing [yet], but I'm worried
tongue.gif
that it's beginning to look like the start of a trend.

And it's all your fault! [De Nile? Of course I've heard of it. It's a river in Northeastern Africa. Why do you ask?
rolleyes.gif
]

Paul

prn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, guys.
grin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>You owe yourself a Surefire.
Just one.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now let me think... Where have I heard that before?... Himalayan Imports? I needed a khukuri. Just one. I have eight now.
shocked.gif
(Don't tell my wife.) I've had to limit hanging around that forum severely.
frown.gif

But I don't have any Sebenzas yet.
wink.gif

Paul

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey prn, it's like eating chips....can't eat(own) just one. if it's an answer you want you will get it here
grin.gif
later

Spork

Enlightened
a while back i bought 200 2016's off ebay for 20 bucks. so its actually cheaper for me to use my photon than the arc. I also work outside a lot and I'm guessing the lithium watch batteries would hold up better than alkalines. my p2 will soon be replaced by the inova microlight.
im a cheapie to when it comes to spending money. when you spend so much money for a flashlight its like this should be free to run! just wait til you get a surefire if you think those 2016's are expensive for your photon.

RevJim

Newly Enlightened
I sure like your handle "prn." Doesn't that mean "refill as needed." It must be an omen!
grin.gif
grin.gif
Take control of your fears. Buy a simple light to carry daily (to help that Arc AAA when you need more power) -- it's called a Surefire E2e. Don't worry about battery cost. It won't use many.
rolleyes.gif
Perhaps buying this one nice light to go with your nice Arc will take care of you for a long time. Just like in the fairy tales. Welcome. By the way, my name's Jim, and I'm a flashaholic.
smile.gif
smile.gif

edit - One more thought. You know you were already thinking about buying an E2e, but hoping the bottom would fall out from under the price of the E2 making it a great bargain. Go ahead and spend a few more bucks. You'll be glad you did.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
prn,
If you're afraid of "getting hooked" on flashlights & came here to get help to keep this from happening........boy, did you take a wrong turn!!!!
xyxthumbs.gif
TX

D

**DONOTDELETE**

You are at the wrong place if you want to get talked out of buying a flashlight. They talked me into getting a E2E. They were right, this is one impressive light, and NO!!!! buyer's remorse. You owe yourself to get one.

STC

Newly Enlightened
You work hard. You sacrifice for others. You want to be prepared in case of emergency. It's a tool, anyhow.
You owe yourself a Surefire.
Just one.

hehehehehe
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Welcome Delurk Man.

Your story sounds all too familiar. But you certainly sound realistic about what is in store for your future. Time to polish up that Visa...