Pelican M6 2320 Questions

FOPLODGE44

Newly Enlightened
I have a Pelican M6 2320 on my duty belty and I am looking for a little more output and longer life. I have done some lsearching on here- seems the McModule was what was common- Is it still available? From Who?

What else is possible taking in to account I am a NooB and do not have any machine shop access- although I have some basic electronic understanding.

Thanks

Charlie

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M6 is one of the brighter of the 2 cell compact lights. However, if you're looking for more output I think the Streamlight Strion would probably be your next step. The output is almost comparable to a Stinger and it is a little smaller than your M6 being about the size of a Streamlight TL-2. The battery life is just a tad better than the CR123 batteries, and the Strion's LIon battery is rechargeable. The initial cost (~$80 online) though is about twice that of an M6, though not much more than a Streamlight TL-2 or Surefire 6P.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a 1w led module if you are interested.

FOPLODGE44

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Brighteyez... I love this little light- just looking for a mod to extend its runtime and maybe get some more lumens.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like mine too. As a matter of fact, I like the output better than my TL-2. But realistically you're asking to burn the proverbial candle at both ends or seeking the proverbial "free lunch". You're not going to get more output and more runtime unless you can find a battery the will charge itself up faster than it can output energy (and without benefit of an external charger.)

If you want more output, you might want to try a Surefire P61 lamp assembly in it to see if that will work. Your run time will be shortened considerably though. On the other hand, if you want more runtime, you might consider sacrificing output level, then you might want to look at one of the aftermarket LED modules that are made to replace Surefire P60 lamp assemblies, they often work with the M6, or you could contact Pelican to see if you could buy one of their LED assemblies or get your light upgraded to an LED version.

Consider your inquiry to be about the same as you going into your boss' office and asking that your pay be doubled from your current annual salary, for which you would only work half the year. :)

EDIT On second thought, forget all of it. I don't think you're going to get much more output, at least not much that is going to be noticable, from either a Strion or from a P61 lamp assembly. The M6 is just that bright. You may have to consider a larger light if you want much more output.

FOPLODGE44 said:
Thanks Brighteyez... I love this little light- just looking for a mod to extend its runtime and maybe get some more lumens.

Last edited:

FOPLODGE44

Newly Enlightened
pay be doubled from your current annual salary, for which you would only work half the year. :)

How did you know I work for the Government?:whistle:

Helpful advice- I thought that this sucker was that bright!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You work for the government? You fibber!

I was once employed by the government, and I was never accused of working :crackup:

FOPLODGE44 said:
pay be doubled from your current annual salary, for which you would only work half the year. :)

How did you know I work for the Government?:whistle:

Helpful advice- I thought that this sucker was that bright!

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
Excuse me, brighteyez and FOPLODGE44, but unless you two work for the Federal Government like SOME of us do, you can hardly brag about being paid and not working! Then again, try working for 3 levels of government at once.

Now, not that this has gotten off topic or anything...

So, FOPLODGE44, are you using lithium primaries, or lithium-ion rechargeables? I helped one of my partners buy a Pelican 2320 M6 sometime ago, and he runs it on 2 Powerizer white and blue RCR123A 680 mAh 3.0 volt cells (and is the person for whom I am trying to buy 2 more cells for). While those cells seem to no longer be available, and since I have tried my RCR123A 600 mAh 3.0 volt cells in his light and found out that they did NOT work, I would suggest buying 2 (or 4) RCR123A 900 mAh 3.0 volt, OR 1 (or 2) 17670 3.7 volt, rechargeable cells and a charger.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are looking to stay with an incandescant bulb or possibly converting to an LED? I have the same light but blew out the bulb, and trying to mod for LED.
FOPLODGE44 said:

FOPLODGE44

Newly Enlightened
... the Federal Government like SOME of us do, you can hardly brag about being paid and not working!

Caught me- Yup I extract a paycheck bi weekly from the Fed for the absolute minimum amount of work humanly possible- As long as the Eagle sh... I mean poops in my bank account every other week, everything is ok in the world!

FOPLODGE44

Newly Enlightened
FlashKat said:
Are looking to stay with an incandescant bulb or possibly converting to an LED? I have the same light but blew out the bulb, and trying to mod for LED.

Yes I am also considering a LED mod if I can find one! Although I do like the current output and from what I have seen so far- I would lose lumens w/ LED.

FOPLODGE44

Newly Enlightened
So, FOPLODGE44, are you using lithium primaries, or lithium-ion rechargeables? I helped one of my partners buy a Pelican 2320 M6 sometime ago, and he runs it on 2 Powerizer white and blue RCR123A 680 mAh 3.0 volt cells (and is the person for whom I am trying to buy 2 more cells for). While those cells seem to no longer be available, and since I have tried my RCR123A 600 mAh 3.0 volt cells in his light and found out that they did NOT work, I would suggest buying 2 (or 4) RCR123A 900 mAh 3.0 volt, OR 1 (or 2) 17670 3.7 volt, rechargeable cells and a charger.

This 17670 sounds like a grand idea- how long would you figure this would extend my run time compared to my lithium primary cells ?

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking into a Cree drop in from a different light which will be brighter and longer runtime. I will keep you updated on the progress.
FOPLODGE44 said:
Yes I am also considering a LED mod if I can find one! Although I do like the current output and from what I have seen so far- I would lose lumens w/ LED.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, Federal government here as well, albeit the one South-of-the-Border ... from you. Probably the same one as FOPLODGE44

It's a common misconception amongst the public that government employees at all levels are lazy, incompetent, and unemployable. Rather than taking offense to such thinking, sometimes it's better to go along with it in a humorous manner to diffuse the situation, or use the same jesting internally. Sorry if you took offense to it. Realistically it's pretty much known that employees in all government agencies are often paid much less in actual wages than their private sector counterparts, though in overall compensation packages, they may be similar when things like the retirement packages are taken into account. As such it's not unusual for government employees at all levels to feel that they are working for less than they could make in the private sector.

Another term that I (and I"m sure others) have used is "Sure beats working for a living."

With regards to multiple government layers, I think there may be a couple situations down here that might be similar though nothing that includes the Federal level since the U.S. does not have a federal police force or anything specifically like the RCMP. There are however officers that may work at a State level and then report at both a county and municipal level (e.g. CHP,) and we do have county sheriff's offices that work on contract with incorporated municipalities that do not have their own police departments and are thus accountable to both.

With regards batteries, if you're referring to the 900 mAh batteries from Tenergy, they won't work either, the 2320 bulb draws too much current for those batteries. The 3.0V ones from Ultralast (North American Battery Co.) will work, don't know if they're available up your way, I've only seen them in one chain of stores here (Fry's,) but it looks like they're available from a number of web sites. If you want to use Unforgiven's parcel forwarding service, you could probably get some forwarded to you. Do bear in mind that the run time is about 1/2 or less of the primary batteries.

PeteBroccolo said:
Excuse me, brighteyez and FOPLODGE44, but unless you two work for the Federal Government like SOME of us do, you can hardly brag about being paid and not working! Then again, try working for 3 levels of government at once.

Now, not that this has gotten off topic or anything...

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only get one once a month, but they send it to me. I don't have to go to work :)

FOPLODGE44 said:
Yup I extract a paycheck bi weekly from the Fed for the absolute minimum amount of work humanly possible-

shoe

Newly Enlightened
PeteBroccolo said:

If the 2320 is the STOCK Pelican M6 bulb, don't bother with the 3.7v 17670.
I loaned a 17670 cell to my friend when he ran out of primaries and it was very dim.

Maybe there's a 3.7v bulb you could drop in? I don't know.

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
shoe said:
If the 2320 is the STOCK Pelican M6 bulb, don't bother with the 3.7v 17670.
I loaned a 17670 cell to my friend when he ran out of primaries and it was very dim.

Maybe there's a 3.7v bulb you could drop in? I don't know.
Thanks for saying that, as I NEARLY suggested them for my partner to use.

Brighteyez, don't worry about ruffling my feathers, as I have been harassed by the worst! I definitely copy your point about rolling with the bad jokes! Besides, I look none-too-shabby when I get all dressed up for a parade, so that makes it all better!

I am surprised to hear that the 900 mAh Tenergy 3.0 v cells will NOT work in a 2320, as my partner has been using 2 Powerizer white and blue RCR123A 680 mAh 3.0 volt cells very successfully in his 2320. The main problem was that 1 of the cells I helped him buy was a 3.7 v, and I think his use of it with a 3.0 v cell was what burned out his lamp assembly.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
PeteBroccolo said:
Besides, I look none-too-shabby when I get all dressed up for a parade, so that makes it all better!

Yup, those dress uniforms are legendary world-wide. Can't imagine anyone looking shabby in one of those. As a matter of fact, I wore a costume of one of those for a Halloween party many years ago (25+?) and even I looked pretty good in it! :)

PeteBroccolo said:
I am surprised to hear that the 900 mAh Tenergy 3.0 v cells will NOT work in a 2320, as my partner has been using 2 Powerizer white and blue RCR123A 680 mAh 3.0 volt cells very successfully in his 2320. The main problem was that 1 of the cells I helped him buy was a 3.7 v, and I think his use of it with a 3.0 v cell was what burned out his lamp assembly.

The Tenergys won't work with any of the high intensity incandescents. The PCB cuts the battery off at 1.2 A, which coincidentally is what the bulbs in most of those lights draw. Hot off the charger, they might work once, after that it's all multi-taps, which I guess is okay for play, but certainly not for any kind of serious work. Someone from Tenergy posted something about them raising the cut-off point on those batteries on their forum, but I've never heard anything more about it either here or other forums, nor has Matt from batteryjunction ever posted anything contrary to that.

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
depusm12 said:
Check out this site http://e-lectronics.net/rechargeable-batteries-c-51.html
They have 3.0 volt(under load) Li-Ion rechargables. I have used them in my Gladius Led, Falcata 6v, SF Z2 and other lights. They work great I carry 4 spares in my patrol bag plus SF CR123's in a spares carrier. Mark is a member here and great to deal with.
Do you mean the RCR123A 3.0 v ic? When I click on the link, it just takes me to the page with ALL the rechargeables. If you mean the 3.0 ic ones, those are the ones I had been using in my GL3 that did NOT work in the 2320.

I'm confused...not that I have never been confused before, nor is it difficult for that to occur!!

Sorry, FOPLODGE44, looks like I am more trouble than I am worth to you right now!