Received my L1D CE - Questions

pae77

Enlightened
Ok, my new L1D CE arrived from the Fenix-Store today. Seems to have a nice tint and the interface is great. But . . . mine has a shadow near the center of the beam (a little straight line), I assume caused by the thing that looks like a little black wire that runs across one side of the Cree emitter. It is quite noticeable. So my first question is, is this shadow in the beam normal or do I have a defective unit?

The other thing I'm not too thrilled about is that the edges of the U indentation (between the holes where the lanyard attaches to the tail) are very sharp. It seems like they could cut a pocket or scratch anything else that might be in the pocket. Anyone else notice this or have this problem? I suppose I could file those edges down a little but then that would take off the black coating where I would file it.

Otherwise, seems like a very nice light.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
My LOD CE has the same straight line, it doesn't affect the beam in any way
all the Fenix Cree lights seem to have this

coppertrail

Enlightened
I thought I was reading one of my posts there for a minute. I too have the "shadow line" in the beam. At first I wondered if there was a problem, then others confirmed that they noticed it on their lights.

My L0D has the same sharp U point as does my L0D CE. I'm really not worried about it ripping my pocket as I had all my front pants pockets lined with Kevlar so the L0D CE won't tear them. ;)

But seriously, I've been keeping it in my front pants pocket daily, haven't had any problems. Enjoy your new light!

pae77

Enlightened
Just to be clear, I am not talking about the line you can see when looking at the emitter. I am talking about a small shadow straight line that is actually visible in the beam which I believe is caused by the line you can see in the emitter, at least in my unit.

coppertrail

Enlightened
That's the line I'm referring to, the one in the center of the beam when projecting it onto a white wall (or other surface) . . .

paulr

Flashaholic
Yeah, they all have that. I've got a die photo in some of the other threads, that illustrates the reason. I find it quite hard to notice, not bothersome at all.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it bothers you, you could put a piece of matte finished tape on the lens. It should get rid of it, at least to a point where it's not noticeable.

pae77

Enlightened
If it's normal for these lights, I'll live with it. I just didn't see any evidence of it in the beam shots that have been posted thus far which made me think perhaps there was something wrong with my particular light. But everyone is saying they all have it so that is reassuring.