nightstand and car flashlights

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

What do you guys recommend as a good flashlight to have by a nightstand and also a good flashlight to keep in the car. Please nothing really expensive. I EDC and E2E.

thanks

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good cheap lights:

Bedside:
Brinkman LX, bright as a surefire 6P, costs about $20 at Walmart and has a 'tactical' blink switch

Or

Maglite 4c, bright, very reliable and makes a great club for emergencies

Car:
UKE 2L or Q40 (4AA light), very bright and waterproof, mostly indestructable and still in the $20- $25 range.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bedside: E1 or E1e plus MN04 beamshaper. Why? Because an M6 is too bright for non-emergencies. If you choose to defend yourself with a weapon then I'd think about a tactical light.

UAV (Urban Assault Vehicle): A D-Cell or 6V lantern battery light. Because most emergencies don't stop at 20 minutes or 1 hour. I'd get 2-3. Flashlight, flourescent lantern and/or a spotlight. But you'd be surprised at the occasional need for a bright light in the mid-day sun to poke around the underside of a car. So maybe a 6P/P61 isn't out of the question.

My choices:

Nightstand: 6P and 9P.

Car: 4D Maglite, Brinkmann lantern. Vector Spotlight.

Size15's

Flashaholic
On my nightstand (bedside table) resides the SureFire 12PMT.

In the cars, we have G2-YL and PhotonII-Whites.

These are standard. It is highly likely I'll have atleast two-five SureFires if I'm going anywhere in a car.

I agree that a Spotlight can be very useful (rechargeable with hard-wired car charger so it's good to go)
Also, a long runtime light would be useful in some cases. How about one of those rechargeable muti-lights with a flashing function, Fluorescent tube, and large-reflector? Does such a thing (of reasonable quality) exist?!

I'm trying to be practical with my suggestions. The light you get may not be cheap but then you want it to perform when you need it and that would be worth investing in?

Notice how I don't start by suggesting a 10X?
(although it would be great for a car-light)

Al
wink.gif
grin.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using the Inova X5 LED light. I also keep a LX bedside..

What do you want it for? A midnight refrigerator raid, a trip to the bathroom without waking others, or a "WHAT WAS THAT NOISE" light?

Inova is great for the first two, both the Inova and the Legend LX for the last one.

I like the Inova because it puts out a nice wide, white, even light, but id doesn't hurt your eyes when they have become adjusted to complete darkness.

I am actually thinking of making a kit of three lights and keeping one at home, one at work, and one in the truck. They are:
Inova X5
Legend LX
Princton Tec Aurora Headlight

I wasn't much on headband lights until I put my P/T Aurora! What a nice light. And talk about perfect while you changed a tire, or looked inside your engine.

Of course, in the Truck, the Mag 3D goes in there too for "non-lighting purposes! (maybe I'll get a Mag 6C light!)

Spork

Enlightened
If it gets cold where you live I would choose a light that uses lithium batteries for your car. The batteries in a mag would probably leak and ruin the light and leave you without a flashlight. A x5 would be a good choice for the car or nightstand. you can get inova microlights for 7 bucks which would be great to just toss in the car and forget about it since they use the tiny lithium batteries. a surge beats the legend lx in brightness and probably construction also. it would be good for a really bright light on the nightstand. but if you just need a find your way around the house/backup light I would suggest a led light.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

car- streamlight sl20x, plenty bright, car charger and a little lighter and thinner for clubbing emergencies!

home- with my pistola c2 with m2 bezel, nightstand/carry e2e.

Brock

Flashaholic
Again I have to say UKE 2L. It runs on 2 lithium batteries, really small, completly waterproof, and pretty durable.

DonL

Enlightened
I agree with some of the suggestions already mentioned.

Keep in mind that I always have a Surefire or two with me...

Car: UKE 2L or Q40 for "regular" use. A 3-D cell Mag, well, "just in case".

Nightstand: M3 with MN11 LA, right next to Mr. Colt.

Also, right next to the doors I usually have my 8AX or M2, in case I have to peek around outside after dark for some reason.

PhilAlex

Enlightened
IN the car: Inova X5. Lithiums, eternal shelf life, and bright as hell.

(To be replaced with an ARC-LS when Peter gets some stock...)

Nightstand: Keys with Arc-LE.

A few PHotons around the house, and a photon in the travel case... With a spare AAA for the Arc.

Amplite

Newly Enlightened
At bedside CMG Infinity (I only like this light in the dead of night)3D Mag, Q40 and a AAA Arc only because I can't make up my mind!
In the car a mini Q40, Legend LX and an old Rayovac 2D that I can't bring myself to throw away! EDC remains my trusty G2
grin.gif

AMPLITE (Guitar amps and Flashlights make mid-life crisis a blast!)

Darell

Flashaholic
Me - I'm a big fan of the E2 at the side of the bed, and a UK 2L in the glove box (due entirely to its much better "I don't care what happens to it" features and price). Of course those are just for when I need BIG light. Mostly I use the EDC Arc CPF that hangs from my headboard at night, and other Arc LE's that sit in the glove box of each car.

llvo

Enlightened
Hi, I'm new here

I usually keep my Mag 6C for nightstand.
it's bright and good to be a club?!
confused.gif

bkral

Newly Enlightened
If you want inexpensive, but durable, I would stick with 3-4 cell C/D size maglights for both house and car. Almost as cheap, much brighter, and more compact, but with a propriatary lamp is the PT surge, which will work in both places.

As for me, I have an 8-D King Pelican in the trunk and a SL 3C Propolymer in the glove compartment. On the nightstand I keep a Surefire 9PT to chase away the boogyman and a Pocket Trout to keep from triping over things in the dark. (The ergonomics of the Pocket Trout are second to none.)

-BCK

Brock

Flashaholic
Another reason I like the 2L is the shelf life of the 123's. Yes I know they cost more to run then the 4 AA's. Think about it when you get a flat and it is raining at midnight do you want to pull out a small light that will run for 2.5 hours and not have a problem with the rain, or a large Mag that the batteries might not work because it's to cold or they might have just died over the past three years. For the extra $10 the 2L is worth the piece of mind.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
A lot depends on your use, lithiums are good for longevity and temperature extremes. But how bright, how big, how rugged, how often are some of the questions you need to answer for best input. I prefer LED lights overall, especially in the car. Incans will sometimes jiggle their filaments too much. But if you need bright light you need an incan or LS. The UK2L sounds good but the SL scorpion is brighter but may be not as rugged. Any light will work for you but you have to decide the best. More input from you, Goku, might get better and more input from the forum.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bkral:

On the nightstand I keep.....a Pocket Trout to keep from triping over things in the dark. (The ergonomics of the Pocket Trout are second to none.)

-BCK
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
BRIGHT FISH!!

BN

larry

Newly Enlightened
on my nightstand i use a pal gold because its always on and can help me locate another light if needed. in my car i carry a streamlight syclone which is bright as well as being a great work light due to its tiltable head and 360 degree clip.

Blikbok

Enlightened
Bedside light: CMG Tasklight and Mag 2D. The LED lights are great for not burning your dark-adapted eyeballs out. The Mag is, well, a Maglight. What can I say? I also have a Mag 4D because I swap out batteries from my 2D when they get dim. It likes to eke some light out of them for a while.

Car light: Petzl Tikka (3 blue-white LED, 3xAAA) headlamp, Mag 2D. Because when you are in or around the car, you need hands-free light. Especially since my car's domelight is dead
frown.gif

I'd love to find out if I can permanently mount a rechargeable light in my car, hooked to 12v DC without killing my car's battery.

SCOTT THE BADGER

Newly Enlightened
I keep a Brinkmann Rebel LED light on my beds headboard bookcase, as it is a very nice navigational light, and will get me to my Duty Belt, if I need to check out a noise. In the truck, I have a SuperStinger,a Vulcan, and a LiteBox lightbox with their chargers hardwired in. I would always recommend everyone to have at least a Vulcan in the car, for reasons mentioned above, it's charge is always topped off, it's quite bright, and it will last for more than an hour.

Even a three dollar Rayovac flashlight will work fine for the nightstand, provided you check the batteries regularly, but you MUST get a good quality light for the car. You will be glad you spent the extra money, when you get a flat on a rainy October night.