Anyone know? P1D/Gladius Strobe the same?

Delta

Enlightened
This question came up at USN forums, and I have been wondering this myself. Does anyone have the ability to test the frequency of the strobe and compare it to the Gladius (which was specifically designed to disorient)??

Curious if it is an exact copy, or if it is just a generic strobe.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Delta:

I just did a quick eyeball test comparing the two. Nothing scientific. The Gladius hertz (one hertz is one cycle per second) is clearly higher (that is, faster) than the P1D. Its hard to estimate, but I'd guess that the Gladius is 50-100% faster. Each light is way too fast to count.

The P1D is considerably brighter, though, and almost made me sick at my stomach. It puts out a larger strobing spot, with more flood, which also is strobing of course. The Gladius's strobe is much more of a spot than a flood.

In my little test in a dark room against the wall, I'd give the thumbs up to the P1D on this issue. Though I do not know, I doubt that the Gladius strobe is "tuned" to a magic hertz thats more effective than some other hertz.

If you got zapped with one of these lights in a darkened environment, I don't think that you would be able to tell which was which. JMO.

cheers

Edited for spelling

Last edited:

luigi

Enlightened
Oh no I think I will have to give my wife a wooden spoon from the kitchen and ask her to attack me :)
The gladius stopped her in the middle and I could touch her face without her noticing I was moving, I think I have to do the same with the P1DCE and the L1DCE. OMG eventually that spoon is going to get me...

Luigi

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess the fact that the P1d does not feature a momentary push-button kills any application similarity of both lights for self defense :)

And of course the spill of the Gladius strobes like its hotspot, considering that both come from the same strobing LED...

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh no I think I will have to give my wife a wooden spoon from the kitchen and ask her to attack me :)
who was the guy who has tested this and has been hit several times from the spoon of his wife, because she has not been disoriented at all?
:)

byron8

Newly Enlightened
I just checked and the Gladius is not as bright as P1D and flashes faster for sure. One interesting note is there appears to be a more decisive "dark" or off between flashes versus the P1D.