With Better LED's on the market....

UVvis

Enlightened
With the advancements in LED that are coming out, I keep thinking that the real benefit isn't brighter, but simply longer running lights. I know that the high end numbers are impressive, but I rarely need to light up the outdoors.

I keep seeing these LED's and am starting to think about 100-300mA drivers. The thought of a having a light that would run for nights and nights really appeals to the backpacker in me.

Anyone else feel the same?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep and I bought a U2, for most people it's a hobby and they just buy the most lumens they can afford, also collectability, I TRY to stray from just buying everything around and shoot my interest into things that are practical to me. There are definately lights that are low output small and have massive runtime, but MFG. will always make the brightest thigns they can since people seem to think brighter is always better, try going around yoru house at night a with a helios in hand.

zigziggityzoo

Newly Enlightened
I bought the L1D-CE, and for this very reason, I will TRY to make this my only purchase this year. I figure 1 year from now we'll have a 50% reduction in electricity consumption OR a significant increase in brightness, whichever one may need.

I'm looking forward to the future...and I don't think I can afford it!

Burgess

Flashaholic
As i've just posted early this morning,
I'm often a fan of Long-Runtime , rather than High-Output.

(see my Post # 26, in this thread)

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/152622

But that's just me. Seems like you and i are vastly outnumbered on this issue.
rolleye11.gif

Hey, i enjoy LOTS of light as much as anyone . . . .

When i NEED it !

Usually, however, i prefer to be discreet.
And also to preserve my (already limited) night vision.

Don't yet have a Multi-Level flashlight.

I'm waiting for the Fenix L2D-CE in Natural Finish.

Please hurry, 4Sevens !
lolsign.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Off-topic, but I just wanted to say that I haven't seen that Burgess logo for soooo long. It's good to see it again - kinda like seeing a long-lost friend. :)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to think that a ~20 lumen light would suffice for 95% of my needs. A bit brighter is fine as well. My favorite L1P has a good level of light, but I'd prefer twice (or more) the runtime and a 50% reduction in brightness.

I've been at this flashlight thing for a long time and I've found that the brightest stuff is really fun for showing new people and/or impressing yourself, but I don't carry a Mag Mod with 3 Lux IIIs on my hip and I never have relied upon a ROP high in my car. The 10-60 Lumen lights will cover most needs of most people and the newer LEDs will make those same output levels run a LOT longer on a given power source.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with you to some extent. That is really the reason that I am liking the advances in multi-output lights. I want something small and efficient that will run forever on the general use levels but I can step it up when I need it. Mediums for lighting inside a darker machine in a fairly well lit work area and really bright for finding out what that noise was outside late at night (or just for showing off). I'm waiting on the L2D-CE as well but personally I am far more concerned with a textured reflector than what finish. I personally require a smooth beam on any light I am spending that kind of money on. Plus a little floody is better for most of my purposes.