Milky KL3 Leef Body "MCDizmo" Creation

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my one and only (I think) Custom, old style KL3 head, modded with a Lux3 UWOJ emitter, surrounded by a handcut McR27 reflector, driven by a MC2HP circuit, allowing a 3 level output with a max current of 650mA, all powered by a single 2600mAh 18650 cell, in a Leef C-C 1x18650 HA body and of course, tailed off with a "fatty" SW01, soon to be replaced by a Leef tailcap.

I decided on this mod after a long discussion with Scott (Milkyspit) on what I wanted from this light in terms of throw, spill, runtime, color, voltage requirement, and originality. This is my first posting of one of my lights, so please be gentle about the poor picture quality, I'm no photographer.

Click on the image to enlarge.

Last edited:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Dizzy!

My Milky-modded KL3 is now attached to a Leef 2x18500 HA body, LeefGrip, and fat SW01. I'm really a big fan of Leef's work and also look forward to his tailcaps. Try a LeefGrip, as it provides more grip options, IMHO.

Not only do our lights look cool, but they function so well too. :)

OceanView

Enlightened
Nice! I like how the SW01 visually counter-balances that aggressive looking head on the other end.

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
Having looked at the first post and the last one by Chronos I think that someone might want to consider a gallery of "milkymaces" (noun, plural - lights modified by milkyspit which strongly resemble medieval weaponry) :grin2:

dizzy said:
This is my first posting of one of my lights, so please be gentle about the poor picture quality, I'm no photographer.

It's in sharp focus and shows all the detail. If you've cracked that I'm sure that you'll soon conquer "glamour shots"...

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chronos said:
Here's a pic of mine!

I need the SW01!! Send it to me!!
nana.gif

Lookin' Good Chronos.
What do you call that thing?

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling said:
dizzy ... how is the 3-level switching done?
The circuit is from a MilkyCandle, so it is done by switching the light on, then off, then on again in less than a half second. It increases in brightness each time, then starts on low again. It stays on the last setting you use it at, unless you change it by doing the quick switching thing.

Low is very low, about 2 lumens, which I love for night-time wandering in the house. Medium is about 30 lumens, and high is probably about 90 lumens or so.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
D MacAlpine said:
It's in sharp focus and shows all the detail. If you've cracked that I'm sure that you'll soon conquer "glamour shots"...
Thanks D Mac, I can't take any credit for the focus. It was all the camera's doing. (Konica/Minolta DiMAGE Z6) No longer in business.:ohgeez:

Chronos, yours looks like mine's taller, skinnier, brother.:crackup:

OceanView, my thoughts exactly, when I was thinking about making this light. I thought the KL3 was a little aggressive and what better to put on the other end than a SW01.:thinking:

Skalomax, I have been throwing Fatty SW01's in the garbage for years now because they are so ugly. I only have this one left now but I am going to melt it down tonight to make a fishing lure.:lolsign:

LiteFan and others, thanks for the compliments.:eek:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[/QUOTE]

Dizzy, that's a darned cool looking combination! Dangit, now I've gotta buy more SureFire and Leef Legos. :rant: ;)

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullzeyebill said:
What are the specs on the MC2HP circuit?

Bill

Uh, well... it's a microcontroller-based circuit with constant current output that can be set a wide range of values. For Dizzy's light the max output is set to 650mA constant current, and I rewrote the firmware to support 3 brightness levels controlled as he described above, in round-robin style. Since it's a software-based board, I could program the thing to function any number of ways. :naughty:

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
milkyspit said:
....Since it's a software-based board, I could program the thing to function any number of ways. :naughty:
Hey Milky, even I didn't know that the circuit could do all that.:wow:

Sounds like it's time to think up another Mod for you to build for me.:grin2:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Scott, thanks for info on MC2HP circuit. I did not intend to mean "trade secrets" of curcuit. The name sort of threw me. I figured out who designed the circuit.

Bill

Scattergun

Enlightened
Really nice combo, looks like something Darth Vader would pull out from under his coat if he got really upset!!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullzeyebill said:
Scott, thanks for info on MC2HP circuit. I did not intend to mean "trade secrets" of curcuit. The name sort of threw me. I figured out who designed the circuit.

Bill

I'm running the same board in my personal M310.3 light... here's a really crummy photo of it! :ohgeez:

img-m310.3-kl2cb-upright.jpg

Vital Statistics:

3 levels digitally controlled brightness
> High: 310 lumens continuous for 1h50m
> Medium: 77 lumens continuous for 7h
> Low: 17 lumens continuous for 31h
6 inches long
1x18650 rechargeable
Project-M body
LeefRing
Z58 tailcap with Nekomane scalloped tailguard
Tektite wrist lanyard