Surefire L1 (Old & Current)

guam9092

Newly Enlightened
I noticed both flashlights are different if you look at the bezel. One has the spot beam with little side spill with a square shape beam and the other with a side spill. I'm trying to decide which one to get. Both are similar except for a certain feature. Anyone has either or both. I guess it wouldn't matter as long it is working.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF.

It would be better for you to refer to them as old and current since there is a new L1 not yet released.
In fact, I'll edit the thread title.

Note that the new (not yet released version) will have a beam that has both an intense centre and a surround beam. Further the output on standard (aka low) mode will be 10 lumens and the high output will be 60 lumens. Further still the body of the new L1 will be reduced in length (although the bezel will increase slightly to account for the Cree XR-R LED and the TIR optic SureFire developed especially for it).

I suggest you wait for the new L1 rather than purchasing a current (or indeed an old version).

Al

SureF1reFan

Newly Enlightened
Size15's said:
Welcome to CPF.

It would be better for you to refer to them as old and current since there is a new L1 not yet released.
In fact, I'll edit the thread title.

Note that the new (not yet released version) will have a beam that has both an intense centre and a surround beam. Further the output on standard (aka low) mode will be 10 lumens and the high output will be 60 lumens. Further still the body of the new L1 will be reduced in length (although the bezel will increase slightly to account for the Cree XR-R LED and the TIR optic SureFire developed especially for it).

I suggest you wait for the new L1 rather than purchasing a current (or indeed an old version).

Al

I must of missed a post or two ... I "thought" the specs on the 'new' L1 was going to be a 30 / 60 - and not a 10 / 60. Would you know (*of course you do) the runtimes on the 10L /60L ?

I bummed out now... I thought it was going to be 30/60 lumens... :(

InfidelCastro

Banned
I'm really screwed up then, I thought the specs on the yet to be released version was going to be 9 & 65 lumens.

Only thing I wonder about is how much potentional runtime is lost because of the step up converter and loss of efficiency that is involved with them typically, compared to a two cell design. What is the Vf on the typical Cree LED?

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire haven't released the new L1 yet so the output ratings stated at the moment are based mostly on the proto-types they made and had time to test before the SHOT Show (2007). Final output ratings for the production units could change of course. Not much point trying to second-guess them (IMHO).

I'm pretty sure that it was 10 & 60 lumens for the new L1 at SS2007.

Al

SureF1reFan

Newly Enlightened
Size15's said:
SureFire haven't released the new L1 yet so the output ratings stated at the moment are based mostly on the proto-types they made and had time to test before the SHOT Show (2007). Final output ratings for the production units could change of course. Not much point trying to second-guess them (IMHO).

I'm pretty sure that it was 10 & 60 lumens for the new L1 at SS2007.

Al

Well since you seem to know just about everything Surefire. We'll take your 10 & 60 Lumens. :) Thanks for your help 15!

cy

Flashaholic
my preference is for old style L1 with original optics replaced with so17. world of improvement. never have like tir optics...

no telling what the brand new L1 will be like...

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
cy said:
my preference is for old style L1 with original optics replaced with so17. world of improvement. never have like tiros optics...

no telling what the brand new L1 will be like...
"TIROS" is Inova trademark.
SureFire use the term TIR optic.

And yes, there is plenty of telling what the brand new L1 will be like since SureFire did show it at SS2007 - SureFire have really advanced TIR technology with their Cree XR-E TIR optics. Best beams yet in my opinion.

Al :)

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new one is longer than second-gen? That stinks. I have a first-gen now, whild I had a second-gen. I like that the one I have now is shorter. If the third-gen model is longer yet, that places it in L4 territory, and that's a 2-cell light! :(

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there already a dealer who has it on pre-order?

I'm getting extremely hot for this thing :)