What do you think in the most common flashlight

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
What do you think is the most common flashlight in most households? My guess would have to be the mini maglight, 3D maglight and some cheapie dollar store 2xD flashlight. I know we are in the minority in terms of liking flashlights and despite the wide availability of decent lights like Rock River and Dorcy sold at Walmart and Target; most people still stick to the models that most of us view as archiac.

defusion

Enlightened
Definately anything by maglite + the cheapest ones you can find.

But nowadays mag's have switched to LED's, so we might start seeing more mag-leds.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I would guess the Eveready 2D lights with the slide switch. I know probably 15 households that have them. As popular as Mags are, I dont think they quite compare.

Bjorn Keizers

Newly Enlightened
Here in the Netherlands, the 2xAA Mags seem to be the most popular. Every outdoor store, car parts store, bycicle shop, online retailer, etc. etc. carries them. I've seen plenty of people who have them -- or claim to, since they can never seem to find the damn thing :D

The 2xAA Mag is pretty much the cheapest, most common flashlight you can get. Walk into any store and you'll find that one prominently displayed.

speederino

Enlightened
Plastic Eveready 2D hands down. The minimag might be up there near the top, but nothing compares to the sickly dim yellow beam of the Eveready on super heavy duty carbon-zinc batteries it comes with.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vickers said:
I see a lot of those yellow Eveready 2D flashlights.

In the US, the good old plastic Eveready 2D with a slide switch has to be the most common light.

Think it's called the Value Bright or Econo Bright or something along those lines. Commonly available in supermarkets, drugstores, convenience stores, and nearly every little neighborhood shop all across the country.

Mag, Garrity, Dorcy, Ray-O-Vac, etc. don't have anywhere near the sort of ubiquitous availability that Eveready enjoys.

Illum

Flashaholic
on the forum or society?

Society's unenlightened folks: probably something from the eveready line of plastic 2D kryptons with garbage reflectors and hinged switches...

Forum's Performance driven lumen-maniacs: to be determined:ohgeez:

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
An interesting topic because I never see my friends display their flashlights. They're probably hidden in a drawer somewhere or they might not have one at all. This would be a good time to ask to see their light/s and nudge them in the direction of getting a quality light or two and maybe providing some good information on current technology and flashlight choices.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
ringzero said:
In the US, the good old plastic Eveready 2D with a slide switch has to be the most common light.

Think it's called the Value Bright or Econo Bright or something along those lines. Commonly available in supermarkets, drugstores, convenience stores, and nearly every little neighborhood shop all across the country.

Mag, Garrity, Dorcy, Ray-O-Vac, etc. don't have anywhere near the sort of ubiquitous availability that Eveready enjoys.
This one or the Ray-o-vac
equivalent. :touche:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
GeorgePaul said:
Interesting. This is not true in the US.

Yeah, here about the cheapest I find the Minimags for is just under $9 at Walmart. The Eveready lights are $2 or $3. They are plenty sturdy though. I have one, that my mother had, that HER mother had and I doubt my grandmother bought it so it was probably her ex-husband. Still works 100% with no flicker. Of course the beam is crap and the color is crap and the runtime is crap, but the light itself is like a freakin Timex.

Not to pick on Surefire, but this thing is literally older than ANY Surefire and cost less than a single CR123 cell and there's enver been an issue with its switch.

Just ain't right.
Christo_pull_hair.gif

cutlerylover

Banned
I think for the most part the everready 2D lights have to take the cake with average families...having them for when the power goes out or forreally simple tasks...then one step up I think that for many years and even today people like electritions and plumbers, and house inspectors and other similar jobs where a flashlight is part of your daily tools I think maglite wins out for these men and women...maglite C and D models, maybe even minimags for smaller tasks...thats my opinion as far as a generalization, I am sure there are some CPF members in these trades who blow away their co-workers in the light department...

As far as law enforcement...this is only my assumption but I would think the mag charger is a common favorite...Once again excluding the CPF members who are enlightened...Ok, pun intended...lol

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
For LED flashlights the most common are probably cheap Photon clones -- it seems about half the keychains I see have one of those somewhere (and those that don't often soon do as I've given a lot of those away)

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
speederino said:
Plastic Eveready 2D hands down. The minimag might be up there near the top, but nothing compares to the sickly dim yellow beam of the Eveready on super heavy duty carbon-zinc batteries it comes with.

I remember having one of those yellow Plastic Eveready lights, carbon-zinc was the only way to go as you wouldn't want to waste Quality Alkalines in a light like that,and not to mention the lop sided bulb that came with it