Cool Blue Reincarnated

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Just stopped by Sears and spotted the familiar old yellow Dorcy Cool Blue in some new packaging. It seems they've dropped a 0.5 watt emitter in that same old body. No more runtime claims on the package. It still comes with four AA's, but the price is now $12.99. I didn't buy it, yet.

Geoff

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=412498
41-2498 | 1/2 Watt- 4AA LED Flashlight
**** AVAILABLE NOW ****
Lifetime Bulb, Never Replace
Floating flashlight
1/2 Watt LED Produces 25 Lumens
Waterproof
Metal hang ring
UPC: 035355424980

Do you see any of the upgrade bulbs?
I got too many yellow bodies to want to buy another one.
http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=411642
41-1642 | LED Module
**** AVAILABLE MARCH 2007 ****
Variable power LED
Convert your standard flashlight or lantern to LED!
Lifetime bulb- never need to replace your bulb again
Longer battery run time
Fits most flashlights

Last edited:

Nebula

Enlightened
Rob187 said:
It's really, really dim.

It's beyond dim! I have both the original cool blue (blue ano over aluminum 1D) and the newer yellow/black plastic model. Both are dim but at least with the aluminum version I was able to make a fairly nice incan out of it. IMHO the only thing that yellow job has going for it is the ability to float.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I agree the old Cool Blue is dim, but this is a somewhat new animal. It just looks the same. It is not the same LED in there. Might not be any better, however. The reflector looks the same, but maybe it now gives some flood since it appears the emitter is sitting down lower. Assuming it's as efficient it will, at least, run a long time. The 25 lumen claim certainly sounds seriously exaggerated.

Geoff

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weren't the original Dorcy Cool Blue and Turtlelite the same light? I can't remember which I have, or maybe both, but it was low output and a pencil thin beam. We've come a long way baby.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rob187 said:
It's really, really dim.

Have you tried one out?

From my experience with other half-watt LED lights:

-Emitter can easily make the quouted 25 lumens, so figure maybe 20 lumens out of the lens.

-Runtime could be 20 to 30 hours to 50% output, depending on circuit.

A compact, rugged, waterproof, long-running, 20 lumen light is incredibly useful for outdoor use.

This could be your primary light for a multi-week backpacking trip. This could be your backup light for caving and canoeing trips.

This looks to be a decent light for 13 bucks!

r0b0r

Enlightened
is it a Rigel?

How would the output compare to a fenix E1?
I find the E1 is quite sufficiently bright when eyes are night adapted (ie: outdoorsy activities)

Ofcourse, I *prefer* more light, but it's sufficient. Hell, the E0 ended up being my most used light at a festival - very dark, out in the country. Performed marvelously.
Then again, I would imagine my pupils were perhaps more dilated than usual ;)
(Earthdance!)

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old 4AA with the frosted tip PR style LED used only 50mA of current and was OK for a minimal tent light etc. That's an honest 50 hours of run time with a NiMH and more with an alkaline or lithium cell because the current drops with the voltage.