Blue Light

Estabrook

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
Im new here.
Hi all, I read recently that blue light is very bad for your eyes. I just got a Solitaire with the blue led, and I don't want to use it if it will further damage my already bad vision. Has anyone else heard this? Are the talking about a different blue light?
Thanks so much <3

thermal guy

Flashaholic
UV is bad for your eyes. I have never heard anything bad about blue lights. Many lights have the ability to use some kind of blue filter.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blue light is fine, in moderation. A little Solitaire can't possibly put out enough light to cause your eyes any damage. Blue light will, however, do things like disturb your sleep pattern if you use it before sleeping. So, I'm not sure why someone would want a blue light. Hunting, perhaps? Though, I thought you'd want something brighter than a Solitaire for hunting, so I dunno.

In any case, don't worry about it.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blue LEDs also tend to make fluorescent things light up fairly well too.

Duster1671

Enlightened
You can take a look at IEC 62471 for information on the hazard blue light poses to the human eye. Blue light does have the potential to cause actual damage to the eye, not just the circadian rhythm disruption others have mentioned. However, it's unlikely your flashlight is bright enough to pose any real risk, and it's almost certainly not bright enough to cause damage before your reflexes would have you close your eyes or look away.