Super-Shootout outside with beamshots!

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I decided to take some more beamshots outside, of my more powerful lights that like to throw
smile.gif
All these shots were taken in cold weather(~5 degrees), and all lights had fresh batteries.

Here are tonights contestants:
G-lights.jpg

We have the Red Dragon, Magcharger, TL-3, Mag3D LED, Ultrastinger, 9P-KT2, 2D ROP, X990, P1D-CE, L5, and Mac's Mini-HID. I included the P1D-CE since so many people have it for comparisons sake. And I figured I would thow in the Red Dragon and L5 since they are my current, most powerful LED lights(although lux is not their strong-point as you will see)

Here is a daytime control photo:
G-control.jpg

I would say the garage is about ~65 yards out.

Night control shot:
G-contol2.jpg

P1D-CE on HIGH 3V primary:
G-P1D.jpg

Surefire L5 2xRCR123's:
G-L5.jpg

"Red Dragon" TriLuxV built by Icarus on HIGH:
G-Dragon.jpg

Mag3D w/ 4cell LED upgrade/4C cells/ borofloat lens:
G-Mag3D.jpg

Mac's Mini-HID 4x123's:
G-miniHID.jpg

Streamlight Ultrastinger:
G-US.jpg

Streamlight TL-3 H1499 bulb 2x17500's:
G-TL3.jpg

Surefire 9P-KT2 MN16 2x17500's:
G-KT2.jpg

Magcharger w/1160 bulb:
G-MC60.jpg

2D ROP-LE HOLA w/ MOP reflector:
G-ROP.jpg

And finally, the X990 35W HID:
G-X990.jpg

I figured while I was out there freezing, I might as well finish the job with some ~150+ yard shots
smile.gif

Notice the blue barn far back to the left:

G-control.jpg

Starting smallest to biggest, First TL-3:
B-TL3.jpg

Mini-HID:
B-Mini.jpg

9P-KT2 MN16:
B-KT2.jpg

2D ROP-LE HOLA:
B-ROP.jpg

X990
buttrock.gif
:

B-X990.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy, as I put a lot of time into this. Sorry about the barn shots being a bit blurry. I was using a Canon S2IS in manual mode with 2sec shutter and f4.0 with daylight white balance. I could not focus properly zoomed in because it was too dark that far away....except for the X990
smile.gif
As usual, questions, comments, and concerns welcome!

jtice

Flashaholic
Very nice, those do a good job of showing the real world use of the lights.
Seems I am going to like the TL3s I have on the way, I am still hunting for the 1499 bulb though.
They seemed to hold their own against the larger lights.

Gotta love the ROP though :D
the X990, well, heh, no comment :p

~John

zapper

Enlightened
Outstanding...(in the cold, in the dark, alone...) job !!!

:grin2: :rock: :goodjob: :twothumbs :thumbsup:

mdocod

Flashaholic
amazing that the MN-16 on those 17500s holds it's own against the ROP and 1160 as well as it does... Great beams!

speaking of that setup.... I'm sure you are probably aware already... 17500s are not big enough to safely run lamps of that magnitude. put an extender on it or bore it, run 17670s or 18500s, or a different host (leaf) for a pair of 18650s... As it is now.. each time you run it, you are degrading the interior makeup of the cells rapidly... it could eventually lead to :pOOF: with a side of hydrofluoric acid.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome pics! Outdoor pics like these are really usefull to see real life usage. White wall beamshots at some meter are not that usefull to me. And I'm still impressed with the Red Dragon even though it's not meant for throw like in these pics, a really cool light. How far would you say that the barn is? 100 yards?

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
mdocod said:
amazing that the MN-16 on those 17500s holds it's own against the ROP and 1160 as well as it does... Great beams!

speaking of that setup.... I'm sure you are probably aware already... 17500s are not big enough to safely run lamps of that magnitude. put an extender on it or bore it, run 17670s or 18500s, or a different host (leaf) for a pair of 18650s... As it is now.. each time you run it, you are degrading the interior makeup of the cells rapidly... it could eventually lead to :pOOF: with a side of hydrofluoric acid.

I am aware of that. I am awaiting my MC123 cell extender and some more 17670's to come in from lighthound...should be Friday. I was going to get a 2x18650 body, and possibly an MN21, but decided to save the $$ and just picked up the extender and some more cells.

Even with the 17500's, the damn thing puts out ~400 lumens in bursts for the first few minutes off a fresh charge! Impressive indeed :)

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Job, thanks for sharing, I can imagine what the weather would be like when you did this, show and all. Cheers

sylvain

Newly Enlightened
There is something that i dont understand...the P1D CE is supposed to have more throw than the L5 but the picture show the opposite...

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frankly speaking I'm a bit dissapointed with the red dragon when I saw the above results. The output obviosly have alot of side spill but compared with the L5, throw is about the same furthermore cheaper though, just my 4cents

frogs3

Enlightened
I thought that was an aurora last night in the north sky over Pennsyvania -- guess it was the x990. I have one, and am amazed that it puts out so well at the price they charge. To get more lumens costs plenty of $$ more.

What really impressed me was that the P1D CE could compete with those bigger lights. That small unit has some serious throw. In the grander picture, we are going to see dramatic things done with LED's in the next few years.

-HAK

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow -- of those the MiniHID struck me as most impressive as it pulls of amazing throw from such a small package. Judging by the lumens output there are multi-Cree LED lights that can top it for lumens, but not throw.

By the way, what's with the green flood light?

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
jumpstat said:
Frankly speaking I'm a bit dissapointed with the red dragon when I saw the above results. The output obviosly have alot of side spill but compared with the L5, throw is about the same furthermore cheaper though, just my 4cents

Well, for what it's worth, the Red Dragon is not designed for throw. The 3 LuxV's are throwing their light with individual McR20 reflectors. Have you ever seen the size of an L5 reflector? Thats why it throws ALMOST as well. My Dragon pulls ~4,000lux and the L5 has ~3,000lux. My L5 is pumping out about 150 lumens out the front with 2xRCR123's, which is damn impressive for one LED. The Red Dragon was designed to have a good mix of throw and spill, which it does perfectly :)

I took pics of the L5 and P1D-CE for reference, since many of you own them. As far as the Dragon, I wanted to show you guys it's "weak" spot. In my beamshots in my basement, the Red Dragon practacally dominated. I told you it would be a different story once I took the show outdoors :grin2: The Dragon is my ultimate close quarters/indoor light. But once I step outdoors, when I want big power, I will have one of my incans in hand :naughty: