energizer 6AA double barrel, 4,5 or 9 volts?

karlosk98

Newly Enlightened
Hellow,

I want to mod my double barrel to k2 led and read in an article at the led museum that it actually delivers 4.5 volts, but uses 9 volts for greater runtime.

Now after thinking my question is:
Why is it that with one row of batteries the bulb delivers half the output that when you put both?
Is it because the bub actually works at 9 volts?

karlosk98

Newly Enlightened
chesterqw said:
4.5 volts
and it uses 2 pair of parallel 3xaa to give you twice the mah but same voltage(4.5)

Thanks Chester but why it delivers half the light output, does anybody know?

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a _modification_ for that light that changes it from parallel, to series. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is "half" as bright because if using only 3xAA there is less capacity for the bulb to drain from, so the voltage of the batteries will drop.

if using 6xAA there is more capacity for the bulb to drain from, so the voltage of the batteries doesn't drop so much.

doc_felixander

Newly Enlightened
half the voltage doesn't necessarily mean half the output. you could increase (or double) the current, although it is a bit more complicated to achieve a certain output at lower voltages (+ you have to design the whole circuit for the higher current).

good example here: AC household bulbs. the 110Volts in the US don't mean that Americans have to live in the dark, compared to the European guys with their 220V.
Just double the current, and voilà.......P=U*I, that's all.

Back then, when I bought mine, I think I read somewhere that it was designed like that for convenience, leaving you the choice of putting in either 3 or 6 for longer runtime.

karlosk98

Newly Enlightened
chesterqw said:
it is "half" as bright because if using only 3xAA there is less capacity for the bulb to drain from, so the voltage of the batteries will drop.

if using 6xAA there is more capacity for the bulb to drain from, so the voltage of the batteries doesn't drop so much.

So it delivers less than 4.5 volts with one row?

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
karlosk98 said:
So it delivers less than 4.5 volts with one row?
No, it delivers about 4.5V with one or two rows. With two rows, the available current is doubled to supply the bulb and prevent voltage sag under load.

Mark

big beam

Enlightened
And there will be voltage drop with 1 row of 3 AA's.My 6AA DB draws .7A.Thats a lot to ask of an AA alki.