what lights have really proven their ability to take a beating?

rorschah

Newly Enlightened
What're the lights that people have actually used in long-term rough conditions? That survive regular thrashing?

-thi

rorschah

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm... the HDS looks spectacular - but pricey.

How about some categories?

1. Out-and-out-toughest
2. Tough yet affordable
3. Tough yet surprisingly light
4. Relatively tough, yet light and affordable

My new Arc AAA certainly *seems* tough as hell, but it's also pricey and heavy compared to other AAA lights, no?

Rando

Enlightened
tebore said:
There'd be less damage if they had an SS or Ti Bezel.

Depends on what he means by "take a beating". Take a beating and still work or take a beating and still look pretty? I would think that a SS or Ti bezel would transfer more of the shock into the light itself (including bulb and filament) than a softer aluminum or plastic/polymer shell would.

carrot

Flashaholic
The Inova X5 is a practically bomb-proof design. It is affordable but not as bright as some newer offerings. The Streamlight Propoly 4AA Luxeon is also a durable light (like most polymer lights), and I would expect the new polymer HDS/Novatac light would be affordable and tough.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot,

is there any information on the supposed new HDS/Novatac light?

I've seen it mentioned here and there but the HDS company was bought out and the current website (Novatac's?) seems to vaguely promise great things but provides no details.

cslinger

Enlightened
HDS, Surefire, UK, Inova's T series and X series come to mind off the top of my head. Heck a MAGLED should make for really tough light for the money. Of course you also have customs like McGizmo's PD, which I do not own but looks to be hell for stout.

Chris

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rando said:
Depends on what he means by "take a beating". Take a beating and still work or take a beating and still look pretty? I would think that a SS or Ti bezel would transfer more of the shock into the light itself (including bulb and filament) than a softer aluminum or plastic/polymer shell would.

That's great and all but the HDS has no bulb.

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My XM-3 has been slammed full force into concrete and pavement many times and it just keeps on going.

carrot

Flashaholic
flashy bazook, there is a thread here on CPF that is now forgotten that explained what new products were shown off at SHOT Show. Off the top of my head there is a new polymer version of the EDC, and a Novatac EDC using some "special" LED for either 80 or 120 lumens, depending on your source of information. They also have a new tactical adaptation of the EDC which sounds like an EDC + combat grip and announced user-programming features via PC.

Last year Henry showed off the HD and LR lights, respectively heavy duty with a thicker body and long range with a turbohead of sorts, which both failed to materialize, so as to which products actually make it to market are really up to speculation.

flashy bazook said:
carrot,

is there any information on the supposed new HDS/Novatac light?

I've seen it mentioned here and there but the HDS company was bought out and the current website (Novatac's?) seems to vaguely promise great things but provides no details.

Brody

Newly Enlightened
My Streamlight Propolymer lights, and my Elektrolumens lights have all been able to take a beating, and work just fine. I can't count how many times I have dropped them from ladders, tables, etc. Heck, I have even had friends use a Blaster as a hammer, and it still works just fine.

rorschah

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info so far guys -

I definitely mean "take a beating and keep on shining" and not "keep looking pretty".

-thi

Sarratt

Enlightened
Somewhere on this forum someone posted a photo of a Streamlight ProPoly that had been loaned to his sister on her trip to South America.
It looked like it had been through hel* replete with burn marks but I think it still worked.
I'll try to find the photo but the search function doesn't seem to like me much.

22hornet

Enlightened
Maglite. Sometimes quite spectacular as a Solitaire falling from 18m (20yards) on the asphalt and still working. (the bulb was not broken)
And a lot of 6C/6D models that were used as batons and survived that with impunity.

Joris

Illum

Flashaholic
carrot said:
The Inova X5 is a practically bomb-proof design.

oh haha....:ohgeez:
its not as bombproof as you may think...the weakjoint lies in the tailcap
Inovas are true beater lights, but HA or not, they'll scratch. I dont have an inova that doesnt have scratches on it

zx7dave

Enlightened
I have a 6P that is about a decade old and still has original parts. Was my EDC for about 6 years working as a mechanic. Threads from many battery changes still look new, lens cover has only small scratches on it. A lot of the black has been worn away, but other that typical bulb failures it has been ultra reliable!
I gave a G2 about 6 years old that I have high priase for too. Very dependable.
My most unreliable light?? Maglight...I am sorry I ever wasted my money in that manner.