Boogered up a KL1 Mod - Need ideas

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

So I had my old KL1 laying around collecting dust and decided that I should take up modding - I know, I know, what was I thinking?? Well, with some general direction from several experienced CPFers I took apart the old-style finned head, desoldered the wires, removed the old emitter, soldered on a new Seoul and thought I was in the clear!!

Well, that's where it went bad. I was advised that the Mc20R-S would fit this head, but I'm either doing something wrong or something, because there's too much of a gap to get the head back on. No problem, I think to myself, I'll just stick the optic back on and at least have something functional, right?? Well, when I try to screw the front of the head back on the light goes out again. Loosen and the light comes back, tighten and it goes out again..

What am I doing, right and wrong?? How do I fix this??

Norm

Retired Administrator
Is the extra pressure shorting out the body of the Seoul, remembering that it is positive, you may need to make sure that it is insulate properly from the heatsink.
Norm

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was under the impression that since the head is anodized that I didn't have to worry about any of that. Just a little heat sink compound to make sure it didn't get too warm..

Well, I popped an O-ring on there to keep the spacing and put the head back on, and it's a signifigant amount better than the original LED in there (heck, if nothing else the color is better, no eerie LED blue hue) but I'd still like to figure out what I'm doing wrong..

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
ACMarina said:
I was under the impression that since the head is anodized that I didn't have to worry about any of that. Just a little heat sink compound to make sure it didn't get too warm..

Well, I popped an O-ring on there to keep the spacing and put the head back on, and it's a signifigant amount better than the original LED in there (heck, if nothing else the color is better, no eerie LED blue hue) but I'd still like to figure out what I'm doing wrong..

You are correct about the anodizing. Maybe if you can post pics of what it looks like in there. Hard to tell even though you provided descriptive details.

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
IIRC, the old style head fit IMS17 sized optics/reflectors. If that's the case, then the McR20R-S is far too big. It fits in a new style (KL4-ish) KL1 just fine.

As for the tightening issue, maybe a bad solder joint?? It's hard to diagnose without pics, though you gave a fairly detailed description.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, well, with a little fiddlin' I seem to have fixed the shorting-out style dimming, but the reflector still doesn't fit. I'm not so upset about that, as the optic is okay, but now I've got a reflector that doesn't fit..

Confirm for me - the McR-20-S should fit, right??

ROK

Enlightened
No and Yes.
In my experience, McR-18 is good for old KL1.
McR-20-S also fit to old KL1 if you replace the stock lens with a thinner one.
My configulation is "original SSC star(little bit thinner than others) + McR-20-S + 1.2mm mineral glass lens".
There is small gap(about 0.5mm) though above set-up. So, I added glow o-ring to cover the gap. Now, perfect! :whistle:
ACMarina said:
Confirm for me - the McR-20-S should fit, right??

ROK

Enlightened
Kryosphinx said:
If that's the case, then the McR20R-S is far too big. It fits in a new style (KL4-ish) KL1 just fine.

Yeah, it looks like a factory made. PERFECT!!!