Photographing Titanium Flashlights

Dogliness

Enlightened
I have had some difficulty taking decent photos of titanium flashlights. The metal is so reflective of light that my photos often had overly bright areas and overly dark areas.

I decided to try to improve. The key, of course, is lighting. I bought a Photoflex translucent lite disc reflector to diffuse the light, and a flash bracket. The flash bracket positions the flash further above the camera. I tried them out today.

This first photo is one I took indoors, positioning the flash above the lite disc and the flashlight and camera lens below the lite disc.

McLuxTiS27-PD.jpg

The following photos were taken outdoors by postioning the lite disc between the sun and the flashlights, and the camera perpendicular to an imaginery line between the lite disc and sun. I used a flash with the flash bracket as a fill flash to avoid shadows in the front portion of the photographed flashlights.

Aleph3hybrid.jpg

McLux-PDs-circle.jpg

UprightPDs.jpg

I was pleased with the results compared to my prior efforts.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you need a white cardboard box and you either paint the inside with white paint or paste white paper over it.

that makes a good even lighting when you use a flash.

or you could make a light box...
but that is just plain crazy... for normal ppl :)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your pictures looked good, at least until I drooled on my computer screen. :drool:

Dogliness

Enlightened
greenlight said:
Have you tried a longer exposure using less light?

These are two photos of the some of the same flashlights taken in low light with a two second exposure.

TiPDwithflash-1.jpg

McLuxIIIsix--lights.jpg

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
they don't really look shinny without alot of lights...

how about the highest aperture number and lots of lights?

it could make the image sharper...

maybe take a few pictures with different speed and pick a few of the best out of those bytes and bytes of picture you took.

DM51

Flashaholic
LA OZ said:
The simplest way for you is to send all those lights over to me and I will photograph them for you ;).
I think I will have to inspect them first to make sure they are safe for you to handle.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dogliness said:
These are two photos of the some of the same flashlights taken in low light with a two second exposure.

TiPDwithflash-1.jpg

The long exposure technique works best in a dark room, I use a single led light to illuminate the subject... It take a few shots while waving the light around to get the best lighting, but the results should be softer, with nice highlights.

Compared to the pics you took last year, the new ones are lower iso (100) and have less visible noise. How low does the iso go on your camera? That will increase the sensitivity of the sensor.

Last edited: