hope I have done the right thing?

magpie

Newly Enlightened
Now dont get me wrong I absoutely love surefires and I was going to buy an E1L....but instead I have bought a Fenix p1d-ce.

Got it off ebay so whilst I am awaiting for it to arrive the question is will I be impressed or dissapointed...it certainly seems to be a lot of light for the $$$$.

please post away with your thoughts

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's not a Surefire...... but it IS a VERY nice light, and at this point it has become a kind of benchmark for the ones that have followed. Some have complained about loose threads, and the beam isn't white-wall perfect....... but for it's size..... it puts out an impressive amount of light and has enough different light levels to be quite useful.... and it also seems to be standing up to the rigors of EDC use. So.... chances are you will be very happy with it.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really have no clue how it could be the wrong thing, or why you mention Surefire. Or is it something abot not buying chinese products? Or do you only buy Surefire otherwise? There are other great american manufacturers.

It seems to be a great light, but I wouldn't buy it, the twistie and UI is a turn off, I would rather get a L1D or L2D. But if you want a tiny, REALLY bright light, and dont mind CR123, you cant go wrong with the Fenix P1D CE.

Alteran

Enlightened
Where the grass is blue, up is down, and hamburger
I just got my P1D-CE yesterday, and it is simply amazing! Granted, it is my first "good" light (previous best was a streamlight stylus), but I just love it! The beam is even, the minor rings are barely noticeable. For such a tiny light, it puts out an immense amount of light, it really lights up a room. :drool: I know some people have had some problems with their P1D-CE, but apart from a bit of aluminum dust left in the threads from manufacturing (it didn't affect the movement of the threads, or damage them at all), I have had no problems. Yes, I've only had it for about a day, so I can't really give information about its durability, but it sounds like it does well for EDC. I <3 my P1D-CE, and I'm sure you will too. :rock:

Last edited:

magpie

Newly Enlightened
love it love it love it this is a really nice item great size and amazing output as you can guess its arrived.

was absolutely amazed by speed of delivery canada to U.K 3 days.

think one of these would make a great EDC light but i will still be carrying my A2

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
There nothing wrong with that, quite a few of us have done the same,
the Fenix p1d-ce is great value for money

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Like an earlier posting said, it's no Surefire.
I like the Fenix torches a lot - I saw one locally and it seemed like a VERY decent light with lots of features and bright beam. However... if I had a choice of one or the other, there's NO Fenix light I'd take over a Surefire.
My collection reflects this... I don't own any Fenix lights but I own 8 Surefires.

Best wishes,
Bawko

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you did the right thing. The P1DCE has over twice the output on primary as the E1L and also has twice the runtime on that same setting and has flat regulation compared to slightly deminishing. There really is no comparison between these two lights.

todo

Newly Enlightened
Why so apoligetic about buying a Fenix?.... And to say "theres NO Fenix Light I'd take over a Surefire"... is just the blind loyalty SF marketers love to hear. These new cree based Fenix's absolutly blow comperable SF's out of the park, not to mention at half the price. I own a few SF myself, but dudes the writting's on the wall do yourselves a favor and try these lights.

xiaowenzu

Banned
I think everyone's waiting for the NEW cree'd Surefire these days, which is coming out in the next few months. I've previously considered buying a Fenix P1DCE, but I simply detest like the 'twisty U.I' (I'm more of a clicky guy. :D ) and it's NOT cheap too. Personally, I've always felt that Surefire lights when compared to every brand out there, are MORE asthetically pleasing to look and hold. Paul Kim has certainly done a subperb job! :D

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

todo said:
Why so apoligetic about buying a Fenix?.... And to say "theres NO Fenix Light I'd take over a Surefire"... is just the blind loyalty SF marketers love to hear.

Not blind loyalty... just a calm set of observations. Until Fenix comes out with a set of HA milspec lights that are as rugged, reliable, and have as simple a user interface as Surefire lights, I'm just not very interested in other lights for more than novelty or gift reasons. Yes... Fenix has it over just about every other manufacturer when it comes to brightness, but brightness is WAY down on the list of things that make a flashlight appealing to me. For me, the #1 concern ALWAY is whether or not I can depend on the light to turn on each time, EVERY time, regardless of how I treat it or abuse it. Surefire is the only brand of light that I have this kind of confidence in. For people who buy Fenix stuff (myself included, probably within the next few months...) I have this to say: If you're happy with it, then great! Don't let anybody tell you that your choice in lights totally sucks or isn't what you should have bought. However, for my own uses Surefire just fits better for all-around use... marketing hype or not.

Best wishes,
Bawko

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with the chicken. Don't get me wrong, there isn't anything wrong with Fenix or Nuwai or any of the other quality lights out there that aren't Surefire. But having taken apart several different lights there are some that I'd depend on more than others, and I won't even limit to Surefire! I'm a big fan of Inova too, in a light that I'd put up to just about anything. Pelican also comes to mind..

I guess it depends on what you want in a light. Everybody has something to offer, so you just have to find out what's right for you. For some people, it's Surefire, for others, it's Fenix, and don't forget the folks out there that'd rather have something handcrafted.. and then there is by far the biggest group, those who think we're all idiots and wouldn't pay more than the basic amount for a flashlight..

To each their own :)

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember, very few of us collect flashlights merely for collecting purposes. We have different lights for different purposes. If I were to climb Everest, or join the front-line, I would take a SureFire. If I'm just heading down the pub, I'll take a Fenix P1D-CE on my keyring. Right job, right tool. Such ----vs---- arguements are easily solved by considering the different circumstances in which each tool is used.

I have the P1D-CE, but not a SureFire yet. I am VERY happy with the Fenix, and I am glad other Fenix owners are too.

todo

Newly Enlightened
Well I have experience with both SF and Fenix, and many others. All of these lights have there plus's and minus's, and all of them fail on occasion. I guess the only reason its even brought up is the fact that SF lights are held up to be the holy grail of dependability, and there not. They're very cool, look rugged as hell, and fun to collect, but as far as vastly superior in funtion to a Fenix, or other quality lights, they're not.

alberto

Enlightened
Those who are new to flashlights typically spend a lot of time in anguish trying to choose between one or another light -- assuming that you'll only need or be able to afford one light.

This is wrong.

A true flashaholic obtains multiple lights. If you can't decide between three lights, buy all three. A single flashlight will never serve all your needs.