It's a disease, I tell you! A horrible disease!

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

As many of you may know from reading my threads the last few days, I've finally replaced my Surefire A2 Aviator. I sold my Red LED A2 last year in order to help fund a new Kroma, and found that the Kroma (while a truly awesome light...) did not replace my A2 as I had originally hoped. Over the months that I've owned the Kroma, I've been missing my A2 more and more... and finally decided last week that I really needed to buy a new A2. I posted a thread on this forum about my thoughts on the Kroma vs. A2, and posted another thread about what color A2 LED's I should buy this time (White or Red).

Yesterday (Monday), I went into a local outdoors/sporting goods store and browsed their A2's, and just couldn't decide... I went back and forth between the White and Red - thinking about each one and how I'd use them... wandered around the store a bit... came back and looked some more... you know how it goes. Anyway, it started turning into a low-level headache, and I finally decided that the only proper thing to do in this impossible situation was to buy both. I've been happy ever since... happily playing with my two new toys, comparing them to my Kroma (since this has been the first time I've owned both models at the same time!) and generally being in "Nerdvana".

OK... so today, I went to a gun store to buy a few boxes of 9mm ammo. I'm at the register, cashing out, when I notice a Surefire display case tucked in the corner next to the door. It has about 15 flashlights in it, so I just HAVE to take a look. I notice that the prices marked are REALLY good... about 25% lower than anywhere else in town that I've seen Surefire stuff. Hmmm... I wonder if they're not moving product or if they're closing out stuff. Anyway, I look further, and notice that there are a pair of A2 Aviators in the case - a White LED model and a Blue LED model. The White A2 is marked $149.95 and the Blue A2 is marked $129.95. Hmm... I wonder why the price difference between the two - is the Blue selling slow or just cheaper to begin with? Anyway, I keep thinking it over, ask the cashier to bring the keys so I can see them up close, take them up to the register, and finally push the white one forward and ask the cashier to ring me up. He looks at the situation, notices the difference in price, and says:

"I notice that one of those is marked lower than the other, so I'm going to give you the lower price on the one you want to buy. I guess the other one is older stock, but it's only fair that you get the lower price".

Aaaaaaahhhhh!!!!! The chorus of angels. Heaven's light shining down on me from a dingy crack in the window blind next to a shotgun and a pair of Rugers that look like they've been there since the dark ages. My $20 bills sprout little wings, fly gently from my wallet to the cashier, as my new White A2 begins to softly glow with the light of the divine.

So... I'm here to warn you all - after buying three A2's in two days - RUN!!! Run FAST!!! Run for the hills, escape this civilization full of tempting lights, hide in a basement where the concept of a flashlight display rack has never been heard of. It's a disease, I tell you... a horrible, incurable, expensive, and probably terminal disease. I will gladly help you start on your road to recovery... being completely hopeless myself... just ship all your flashlights to me and I'll help set you up with road maps to a place in podunk West Virginia where they've never heard of anything but Ray-o-vac plastic 2-D supermarket lights.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Last edited:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another "feel good" story complete with happy ending...brought to you by CPF - "creating a brighter future for all"
smile.gif

CFU

Illum

Flashaholic
thats a huge price difference!

I'd buy it and swap out the LEDs..:ohgeez:

older version? do they look the same?
older versions are either version 1 [four flat sides/long clip] or version II [round body/short clip]

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

bridgman said:
Do they still have the blue LED version at the store ? It's not too late you know... and the blue LEDs look pretty cool.
As far as I know, it's still there in the display case. If I hadn't already blown my flashlight budget for the next 6 months on the OTHER three A2's, it would have probably followed me home too! :)

As is, I just can't justify another A2 given the amount I've spent in the last two days... I typically only spend that much money on things that go bang and throw lead! Still... I'm so pleased with these lights that it was WELL worth it. Yep - I think it's incurable!

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Illum_the_nation said:
thats a huge price difference!

I'd buy it and swap out the LEDs..:ohgeez:

older version? do they look the same?
older versions are either version 1 [four flat sides/long clip] or version II [round body/short clip]
Not sure what you are talking about with "older version" - they look like every other Aviator I've ever seen. All three of my A2's have three slightly curved flat spots, and a pocket clip that is 2.65" long (about half the length of the flashlight) and 1/4" wide. I've never seen a four sided A2. I guess mine are all "Version II" based on your description.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Illum

Flashaholic
Atomic_Chicken said:
Greetings!

Not sure what you are talking about with "older version" - they look like every other Aviator I've ever seen. All three of my A2's have three slightly curved flat spots, and a pocket clip that is 2.65" long (about half the length of the flashlight) and 1/4" wide. I've never seen a four sided A2. I guess mine are all "Version II" based on your description.

Best wishes,
Bawko

heres the different versions, I was told two different things, one being the flat side long clip was 1st generation, then being told it was the 2nd generation...so im sorta confused also...but one thing for sure...new A2s bodies are round

mines the one in the middle, this is not my pic, my A2's A31798

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Illum_the_nation said:

heres the different versions, I was told two different things, one being the flat side long clip was 1st generation, then being told it was the 2nd generation...so im sorta confused also...but one thing for sure...new A2s bodies are round

mines the one in the middle, this is not my pic, my A2's A31798

Thanks for the photo! Now I know what a 4-sided A2 looks like. Mine are all like the top flashlight in the photo - with 3 rounded flat spots.

Best wishes,
Bawko

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you people STOP talking about your A2's!!! I have resisted the temptation for so lonnngggg now. Besides these cheap chinese crees are sooo guiltless to buy at $40-$70 a pop. Stop tempting me with a $178 incan light!!! And please tell the Sportsman's Warehouse that is next to my work to hide all thiers and tell me they are out when I go in there.

THANK YOU!

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atomic_Chicken said:
Aaaaaaahhhhh!!!!! The chorus of angels. Heaven's light shining down on me from a dingy crack in the window blind next to a shotgun and a pair of Rugers that look like they've been there since the dark ages. My $20 bills sprout little wings, fly gently from my wallet to the cashier, as my new White A2 begins to softly glow with the light of the divine.

:lolsign:
Thats one of the best written descriptions of a flashaholic getting his fix that I've seen in a long time! It mad me laugh and brought tears to my eyes. (Good thing I wasnt drinking any milk or I'd have spouted it out of my nose)

Have fun with your new A2-zez.

DM51

Flashaholic
You definitely needed a spare white one, on the basis that you should always have a spare. I'm just very surprised and disappointed you didn't buy the blue one too. In fact I think if you go on NOT buying perfectly good flashlights like that blue one, we will have to conclude you are not a proper flashoholic at all.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

DM51 said:
You definitely needed a spare white one, on the basis that you should always have a spare. I'm just very surprised and disappointed you didn't buy the blue one too. In fact I think if you go on NOT buying perfectly good flashlights like that blue one, we will have to conclude you are not a proper flashoholic at all.
Actually, my philosophy for most things is "A pair and a spare" - I typically buy things I like in 3's. Anyway... if I could have afforded it, I definitely WOULD have purchased the Blue one too - for a modding platform if nothing else. No cash=no lights. :(

I'm going to post a few photos of my flashlight collection in the next few days... you can judge then whether I'm a "proper flashaholic" or not! :)

Best wishes,
Bawko

DM51

Flashaholic
The trouble is, I might have to think about getting a 3rd A2, to try and keep up with you! Hmmm, I wonder what color I should get....

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atomic_Chicken said:
If I hadn't already blown my flashlight budget for the next 6 months on the OTHER three A2's, it would have probably followed me home too! :)
You actually have a flashlight budget? :laughing: I can just imagine a percentage of your earnings automatically deposited to a secret account every month.