Good LED camping lantern?

JJohn

Enlightened
Any recommendations for a camping lantern. Decent brightness (a couple levels would be nice), reliable, medium to small size, decent tint, adequate runtime, and a common battery type would all be good features.

Just need light for eating dinner and perhaps playing cards with the kids. This is not for backpacking just tent camping with the kids. The needs are very different.

Thanks in advance,
John

JJohn

Enlightened
Thanks. I have seen the Garrity lantern but, wondered if anyone had direct experience with any of the options. As with flashlights, they all sound good on paper but some really "shine" when you put them to use. I like good build quality and good well-thought-out designs.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote for the Sylvania LED Mini Lantern, it's the same like the Osram Golden Dragon lantern.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried two lanterns for this type of purpose.

The bigger of the two is the River Rock 4AA 1xJupiter Led. Nice output and solidly built. Using NiMh batts we got at least a couple of nights use out of it (4-5 hrs a night appx). The light was bright enough to illuminate a fairly large area but one drawback was that it only shines out horizontally, and to illuminate a dinner table for food or cards etc., we would angle it or place it on the table, which, as it's quite bright, monkeys around with your night vision (The light is quite blue and harsh - I would think tissue used as a diffuser would improve things overall). But this in no way means this lantern is useless.

Recently we purchased a Gerber Bonfire ( 2AA, 2 x white, 1 x red leds). This is smaller than the RR but actually more useful. It shines a diffuse soft light downwards so is ideal to hang up and illuminate your meal,scrabble,hold'em,boggle,collection of torches etc.,though not as bright as the RR, it has more than enough light for most tasks. We got not quite as much output from it, in fact a little over half as much as the RR depending which mode you were in (White has shorter runtime than red!), but as it uses half the amount of batts, why worry! It's not as sturdy and the switch is annoying, but it is very cheap and so far hasn't let us down.

Incidentally, Peak AAA or ARC AAA lights on short lanyards hung inside coloured beer bottles (Empty!!!) are way cool and cosy too!

We like lights in the dark...

Be lucky...

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've gotten to really like the Eddie Bauer lantern that Target stores used to sell in their camping section. They seem to have closed them out, but maybe one can still be found. It's not as bright as the River Rock, but seems more useable. The globe diffuses the light nicely and it has a variable level control. Also runs on 4 AA's. I suppose it is actually a Coast product, so maybe it's available elsewhere under that name.

Geoff

Calina

Enlightened
The most efficient: A naphta lantern but it is noisy.

If you want an electrical one, the coleman fluorescents are fairly efficient.

Best lighting for civilized camping (ie: campground as opposed to wilderness camping): get a site with electricity and run any lamp you want.

If you absolutely want LEDs : I heard good things about the River Rock and the Golden Dragon.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
there was a recent thread that one of the lantern makers announced it would be using CREE LEDs (the latest and one of the best). But I do not recall the details. If someone can point to the thread it would be great, otherwise maybe tonight I can find some more time and try to dig it out.

I haven't seen any info. on actual products, though, meaning products that would be available for purchase today.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
glockboy said:
I vote for the Sylvania LED Mini Lantern, it's the same like the Osram Golden Dragon lantern.
They are externally the same, but the Sylvania does not use the Osram Golden Dragon LED, it uses dimmer 5mm LEDs.

Last edited:

el_vato

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys i have a crazy idea... take a key chain light put it in a large white balloon,turn it on, blow up the ballon tie it off and tie to a string .. any one wanna see if it works?? take some pictures too...

el_vato

mzzj

Newly Enlightened
Calina said:
The most efficient: A naphta lantern but it is noisy.
Not energy efficient but exellent weight/power ratio. Luminous effiency is something like 2-4lm/W, but its still better by factor of three compared to CFL/led+lion combination weight-wise. Makes you realize how infant battery technology still is.

It's kind of funny that almost 200 years old technology is still outperforming high-effiency leds and CFL's .

jemab

Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
They are externally the same, but the Sylvania does not use the Osram Golden Dragon LED, it uses dimmer 5mm LEDs.

I thought somebody emailed sylvania and reported back here that the Sylvania was the same as the Osram Golden Dragon?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
jemab said:
I thought somebody emailed sylvania and reported back here that the Sylvania was the same as the Osram Golden Dragon?
I'm not sure. CPFers at the Lantern section said the Sylvania uses a different LED.

Calina

Enlightened
mzzj said:
Not energy efficient but exellent weight/power ratio. Luminous effiency is something like 2-4lm/W, but its still better by factor of three compared to CFL/led+lion combination weight-wise. Makes you realize how infant battery technology still is.

It's kind of funny that almost 200 years old technology is still outperforming high-effiency leds and CFL's .

Thanks for the correction.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the River Rock Lantern and the Osram Golden Dragon and I think both of them have their pros and cons. Here is a little list of them for each light.

River Rock
pros:
Quite a bit brighter
Longer runtime (8+ regulated hours to 50%)
Feels a little more sturdy IMO
Has a strobe mode in case of an emergency

cons:
VERY VERY ringy beam!!!
quite a bit heavier and larger

Osram Golden Dragon
pros:
super smooth beam
two levels of output
very small and pretty light as well

cons:
not all that bright
only around 5 slightly regulated hours of output

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing you could do is buy a couple Dorcy lanterns (4AA or 4D) and put a Nite-Ize PR LED or Craftsman "Endurable" PR LED. Remove the diffusion bezel for a smooth flood. The lanterns are less than $5 at department stores like Wal*Mart, a NI PR LED is about $8, and the Endurable PR LED (Sears) runs about $15.

fishx65

Enlightened
Not led but the 4D Energizer fluorescent folding lantern is on clearence at Target for about 10 bucks. Long runtime, very bright and much smoother flood. Seems to put out much more light then my River Rock.