cameraman needs help

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I have found torch heaven at last....dozens of people who know and love lights...thank you. I am a cameramen who often works in very remote locations. I need a small back up light...professional battery lights are too big and impractical.

I have been reading the surefire threads with great interest and would appreciate any recomendations re head and lamp combos etc, that meet the following principal requirement.

- broad, strong, non spot, even light.

I need the light to provide a soft fill on a generally wide shot from about 6' away.

I have engineered an aluminium head for a scorpion but it was not very succesful. It throws a broad enough light but seems underpowered for the purpose.

Advise greatly appreciated.

Blikbok

Enlightened
I'm not the most knowledgeable here, but I'll try
smile.gif

Are you a still cameraman or a videographer?

I'm thinking you might want a rechargeable light because *using* a Surefire constantly will eat up the lithium batteries. Surefire has "beamshapers" but I've never seen one in action. The SF line can also be fitted with a remote switch so you could mount it to your camera equipment and trigger it.

I'm not sure exactly how much light you need, but you might want to look at one of the rechargeables with a diffusing beamshaper fitted.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Blikblok. I shoot video for Tv on mini dv gear and travel to very remote places...often without power to recharge....so lithium or similar is the go. The light I need is not a total solution just a broad beam when I am stuck. The Surefire beamshaper looks appealing...but I don't know how much it cuts the light.

Size is also an issue...I don't want a torch loaded with D cells etc.

So if it is Surefire I would appreciate advise on models and head sizes etc...ie does a larger turbo head create a broader beam (which I want) or just a longer tighter beam (which just about everyone else wants)?

Are there colour temperature differences between the lamps (warmer colours are best for me rather than stark white)?

And Blikblok..I didn't know you could trigger the lights remotely. Is this on the Surefire web site?

Thanks

Brock

Flashaholic
You should seriously look at the UKE Light Canon, it is a HID light. It does have wide angle lenses option, and is very good for shooting vid with due to the color temp of HID. It also can use rechargeable C cells and last a couple of hours on them.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
UK Light Cannon would be my first suggestion too. You said you didn`t want a light full of D cells though, and the LC isn`t the lightest or smallest (8Cs, usually alkaline, but Nicd/NiMH for rechargeable option if required closer to home)- but the colour temp and the supplied diffuserfilters make it ideal.
If I didn`t frequently use small warm white CCFT lights to illuminate my pics (I take all my stills posted on here + my web sites under a Panasonic F15HS vid cam) and just fiddle the manual white balance, I`d use it a lot for fill-in and backlighting, etc...

But...
The other thing is that there is no color temperature shift as the batteries go down, just a decrease in light output.

Not entirely, according to my testing so far. Mine`s reaching the end if the battery life and the colour has turned very blue. When fresh, it`s almost like pure daylight but now when I fire it up in the day, even after a few minutes it`s still very blue. I read in the guide that comes with it, that this blue shift is normal. But for at least 2/3 of the 3+ hour life, it does seem to stay constant and much better than unfiltered incandescent. Just a brief flicker to a more orangey colour if it`s tilted or rotated quickly, due to halide deposits on the inner of the bulb getting vaporised. Held still, it`s fine.

Nice light. You could also probably rig up a quickrelease tripod mount of some sort for it, using the dovetail handle mount rails. Maybe even something exists already? (UK offer a trigger or lantern grip handle, not sure what else)

grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks very much. I will check out the light cannon. It looks great for a big fill. However I am afraid it might be overkill for the close up work I imagine. I really am after something very small and portable.

At the moment I use a dream light but it is too big to travel with constantly. It is a 12 volt, 50 watt dimmable Frezzolini. All of its characteristics are beautiful but I need to lug around a motorbike battery to power it! So....wanting something small to get me out of lighting trouble when I have left the bike battery at home. The principal need is to put a broad, soft, fill light on a nearby face for an interview.

Brock

Flashaholic
Well if you want something smaller, get a E2 or E2e, with a beam shaper. Very smooth, and prety bright. AND you get an E2 to use for all kinds of other things.

Tombeis

Enlightened
Davis:

Before I retired,I was a still photographer doing industrial and magazine photography, and a sometime videographer.

If I were still in the business, I would start with a couple of Surefire E2e's with beamshapers.

I would not worry about the light being too white as most of the Surefire Lithium powered flashlights make light around 3200 Kelvin. If you need to balance this with daylight, Rosco gels still do the job. Most Rosco dealers have sample books with which you could experiment. (www.rosco.com)

You could make some Velcro loop wraps for the flashlights and attach Velcro hook to whatever stand, camera, tripod, tree or other object you use as a support for the lights.

You notice that I said above you may want to start with the E2e. Since I have no idea of your distances from light to subject, you may end up wanting to get something more powerful such as a pair of M2's or M3's. Both of these lights have at least two types of lamps which include a high output lamp when you need it.

I suggest the E2e, M2, M3 as they are more water resistant/proof then other less expensive models. Also they are very durable.

The down side to all of this is buying the equipment and the batteries where you live.

Surefire does not ship to Australia, but they do show two dealers in Australia. (www.surefire.com)

Others on Candlepowerforums and the Surefire discussion site may be able to help you with a source for reasonably priced batteries in your area.

If I can help you in any way, please e-mail me at [email protected] or [email protected]
(Tom Beiswenger)

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Davis

I have shot underwater video for years, in many different countries and locals.

Without a second thought, the UK Light Canon is the best available for what you describe. Color temperature is excellent for DV, and with the diffuser disks, is works extremely well on land as either a main or fill light. The other thing is that there is no color temperature shift as the batteries go down, just a decrease in light output. Therefore, you won't have to worry about white balance as you shoot.

The other nice thing is that it is a dive light, and you have that nice barrier reef in your neck of the woods

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks again. Brock, I will get an E2 just to try it out....it sounds like a scorpion but the beamshaper is something I would like to see. Re the other models I hope you can all bear with me with a few more simple questions... as Tombeis noted no one carries Surefires in Australia and it is difficult to judge them from afar. I am assuming I can buy direct from Surefire. I am interested in the Z3 or similar with 105 lumens. If I was to look at the M3 range I am curious as to what effect the larger turbo heads have on the light spread...ie is it a broader or narrower and stronger?

Blikbok

Enlightened
The turbo heads have narrower beams. The lamp assembly has the same lumen output, but the reflector is larger, concentrating the lumens on a smaller area for more lux-on-target. I think I got that right
smile.gif

The Surefires are modular-- almost all the midsize lights (C2, D2, M2, Z2...) can share components to a degree. The momentary-push-on tailcap can be unscrewed and replaced with a tailcap trailing a flat momentary switch on a lead. As far as I can see, the same tailcaps work on the 2-cell and 3-cell lights.

Check out the 2002 weaponlight catalog. 6.5 MB in size. http://www.pk-engineering.com/B_W%20SureFire%20Weapons%20Cat.pdf

Page 52 shows a "UxxyyB" tailcap with both a momentary pressure pad and constant-on rocker switch. I'm guessing for video work, you would like the option of short bursts of light to conserve battery power, or locking the light on to conserve thumb power.

Brock

Flashaholic
If you already have the Scorpion, it can flood as wide as the E2 with the beamshaper. The E2 with the beamshaper does have a smoother more even beam, but not by a lot.

Since you already have the Scorpion I would suggest something in the 3 cell line, M3, or D3. Almost twice the light of the Scorpion. Which ever you get I would suggest the beamshaper for film work.

Maybe a rechargeable would work here, but I don't have a lot of experience with them so I can't help you there.

Tombeis

Enlightened
Davis:

I am inclined to agree with Brock about using a M3 or a D3.You have a better selection of lamps with these flashlights then with the smaller E2e's

The M3 I have has more of an oblong beam which in the horizontal position would light a wider area. In any event, I would suggest you get the beamspreaders with whatever light you get. They reduce the intensity of the beam, but they produce a much more defused light, and would be especially effective for close-up work.

As to the rechargeable lights. I believe you said you intend to use the lights for remote location work. Recharging them would be a real problem unless you have access to a generator. It takes between two and three hours to recharge the B90 battery.

I don't believe you can place an order from out of country on Surefire's website.

One thing you might try is contacting others from Australia using Candlepowerforums, and the Surefire forum. They would have a better idea then I as to how to order, and get the best deal in your country. Also, you may find someone who lives near you who could show you the beam quality of his Surefires.

Surefire does have two dealers in Australia.
They are:

Kenmax Special Poducts PTY,Ltd.
P.O.Box 1137
Penrith, New South Wales
Phone 61-02-473-25-777
E-mail [email protected]

Pacific-Rim Distributors PTY
970 Stanley Street
East Brisbane,QLD
Phone 61-73-393-0655

I know Australia is a big country,and these dealers may not be anywhere near you.

If they are, possibly they could arrange a demonstration for you.

Tom

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks again gents...I appreciate your time and expertise. I will definitely buy one of the '3' models with a beamshaper. Is there anything wrong with the Z3?... no one ever mentions it. I don't know what a Z ring is but I just like the thinner look of the model. Is it a reasonable choice?

Thanks for finding the Australian distibutors for me Tombeis....isn't the net a great thing! I will call them Monday.

Brock, do you know if a E2 beamshaper would fit my scorpion? It would save me buying an E2 as well while i am still experimenting. As I mentioned in my first post I made a new head for my scorpion on a lathe. It was an interesting experiment but I made it too broad to give any punch to the bulb. I might have another go with the Z3/D3 and will post a query about ideal size for a lathed aluminium head

And one more thing....the discussions re LED's have been fascinating. As the technology develops they could be ideal for purposes such as mine...ie broad, soft beam. I may pose a question or two on the relevant discussion group. As I said before I am in torch/flashlight heaven

Brock

Flashaholic
Nope the Scorpion head falls somewhere between the larger standard size M2 and the smaller sized E2. You could get some wrightrite (I spelled that wrong I am sure) and that helps diffuse the beam. I put 2 layers on my wife's E1, does a nice job and doesn't make the light any larger.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I think a LS could be good Ron but I am unsure what impact LED's have on video images. i.e. whether they strobe etc, or what colour shifts they may undergo.

Learning all I can through this site and awaiting developments. The 5w LS could be perfect.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Desperately wanting to become a Surefire owner...but it is not an easy or cheap process in Australia. Have tracked down the distributor here wanting to buy a Z3 plus beamshaper. Ir will take at least 2 weeks and the cost for the Z3 alone is US$145. D3 and C3's are even more expensive. Does anyone know of a good dealer in US who will ship overseas on a Visa card sale?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Try Texas Tactical Supply. I ordered a Scorpion and an 2AA Pelican from William at TTS (using a Mastercard) and got it in two weeks as promised.

The customer service is good (quick replies to e-mail) and the prices are as good as they come.

However you may want to consider using the Luxeon Star. Four of these will give you a broad, bright light.

Also you may want to consider a portable fluorescent also. The 6D Energizer 6/12watt lantern will be much brighter than the Surefire and last much longer.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the advice...I think I am getting closer to my Z3. And while I am at it I will try to get a Luxeon star. I have been following the LED threads and now, of course, I want a Lamda(?) conversion which are not available. Any recomendations for a readily available light.