Help with EDC

Lightman2

Enlightened
Hi all. So I did not follow my tag line and this ended up with a purchased Nitecore MH10S, a light I did not really like simply due to the switch being very difficult to locate at night. Having had a lot of joy with the Nitecore Tiki glo in the dark I decided to keep with Nitecore for another light. All the smaller lights seemed good but a little too short for a reasonable work horse so I ended up looking at the EDC27, P18 and MH12SE. Unfortunately I can only go by feedback and reviews to work out what's best. The EDC27 due to the review by Outer Limitless was crossed off the list leaving the P18 and MH12SE. The SE just seems a little long for me so I am leaning towards the P18. Any feedback on both P18 and MH12SE most welcomed.

I've used the original and revised EDC27. While the original did rattle, melt itself, and self-destruct when I tested it on turbo a few times; the revised one has been a joy to use. I've actually swapped high CRI XML emitters into it. It also has yet to turn on in my pocket, and I don't use lockout.

Lightman2

Enlightened
I also quite like the look of the Fenix LD 30 ……nice and short, dual battery, memory mode and tail switch.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
And now I have found the Fenix PD25R……that looks nice
My original PD25 is a very good light. If the 'R' model is much like it, it might be too. However, Fenix is well-known for making fairly drastic / fundamental changes to updated versions of lights sharing the same base model designation, so I can't say. I do note it appears that they have reduced the profile of the side switch (for output selection), which might make it more difficult to actuate accidentally, and if that's the case that would constitute an improvement over the original.

EDIT: It also appears that the USB charging connector is behind / inside of an O-ring sealed collar / the head. If so, that's VERY good compared with lights which use a crummy rubber plug to keep crud / moisture out of the connector. If that's the case, that's another big 'plus' in its favor!

Last edited:

Lightman2

Enlightened
Thanks for that. Always great hearing from people as we all know you don't get all the data from a manufactures web site. I was also looking at the PD 32 v 2.0 (which looks very impressive) but one reviewer pointed out it only has three constant on modes no moonlight or a real medium (200 lumens) and looking I can see that the steps are very large. Love the tailcap being one you use to scroll through the levels as the side button is really not that appealing to me.

Lightman2

Enlightened
Wonder if Fenix do another light with more modes and with a tailcap that can select through modes