Short EDC pens?

FlyFishn

Newly Enlightened
All,

What suggestions do any of you have for quality EDC pens that are short? I'm looking for something quality around 3.5-4 inches long that won't fall apart and is refillable.

The pen will ride in my back pocket zipped in a small book and, if it isn't strong enough to restrain it, will be subject to a lot of flexing. I had a normal size pen back there but that quickly gave up the ghost.

I like some of the metal pens I've seen, but I am not sure if they would handle the environment. I don't want to bend one and I am not sure if they would be strong enough to withstand the environment every day?

I know, not a "flashlight" topic, though I am hoping the thread catches more attention here than elsewhere. Of course, if the mods need it moved that's the way it goes.

Marquis07

Newly Enlightened
Olight O'Pen Mini? I havn't purchased one, but they seem decent enough. The only con I see is the customized refill.

turbodog

Flashaholic
All,

What suggestions do any of you have for quality EDC pens that are short? I'm looking for something quality around 3.5-4 inches long that won't fall apart and is refillable.

The pen will ride in my back pocket zipped in a small book and, if it isn't strong enough to restrain it, will be subject to a lot of flexing. I had a normal size pen back there but that quickly gave up the ghost.

I like some of the metal pens I've seen, but I am not sure if they would handle the environment. I don't want to bend one and I am not sure if they would be strong enough to withstand the environment every day?

I know, not a "flashlight" topic, though I am hoping the thread catches more attention here than elsewhere. Of course, if the mods need it moved that's the way it goes.

1690590346866.png

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
---FlyFishn--- I suggest a retractable pen, the type with multiple colors. I carry one with black, blue, red and green. It is full length but I am sure they make stubby versions. The width might make up for lack of length when trying to grip it.

FlyFishn

Newly Enlightened
This pen might suit your needs. I have their titanium Embassy pen and the machining quality is top notch.

Excellent lead! I like that pen. Then I went digging on the refill it uses (Lamy M22 Black Fine Fill) and that opened up a whole new door on pen options. It looks like that is a fairly easy to get refill, and they have different sizes/colors too that are compatible. Cool.

340pd

Newly Enlightened

You will be hard pressed to top one of these. The refill lasts a very long time and they write on things a typical pen will not. I bought the raw brass which over time, will give you a beautiful patina.

Galane

Newly Enlightened
Olight O'Pen Mini? I havn't purchased one, but they seem decent enough. The only con I see is the customized refill.

Either get the right size Schmidt refill or one of the 3D printed adapters for D1 size or Fisher Space Pen refills.

A neat thing with the O'Pen Mini is one diameter of plastic straw is a perfect fit for the barrel so a length of one can be cut to slide in and show through the slots. It also helps keep pocket lint and dirt out of the pen, and ink in should it leak.

I had the factory refill in my Mini leak. Didn't get onto anything outside the pen but did goop it up. Some spraying with brake parts cleaner cured that.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure if this ticks your boxes, but my solution was the inexpensive Zebra F-301 Compact, which is a cousin of the regular F-301. The Compact is a split-apart with cap/pocket clip that makes the pen full size when attached. Then I drilled out the hole in the tip to accomodate the Fisher Spacepen refill. Storage length is about 3.75 inches, and 5.25" assembled. The Zebra retails for about $4USD and Fisher refills are about $6 at Office Depot.

edit - I see Turbodog's link leads to this pen, too.

I like the Fisher refill as I often do crossword puzzles while reclining, and most pens won't work long when held upside down. The Fisher also has other traits already mentioned that are nice for EDC duty, but cost a little more. They are not the smoothest refill I've tried, though.

I tried a Fisher Pocket Tec (a Back Packer without the keyring), which is also a compact split-apart, and it was OK but the cap attachment is not as secure as the Zebra, and no pocket clip. I don't really like the look of the Fisher bullets.

I also gotta say if you get something that can take a Schmidt Easyflow, those are the smoothest ballpoint refills I know of, much superior to Parker. However, I use Schmidt in the easier home/office environments in my Parker-style pens.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
4.1 inches with compact refill but this pen can take many, many refills. Finger contact is comfortably large enough with plenty of traction. Titanium.

For some years I would take a favorite refill (usually German) that was sold with a cap and just put maybe 2 or 3 very small o-rings where the finger holds it. This is very small.

The Schneider Link-It is small and can be found inexpensively but can wear out the cap attachment tension.

4.1 inches with compact refill but this pen can take many, many refills. Finger contact is comfortably large enough with plenty of traction. Titanium.

For some years I would take a favorite refill (usually German) that was sold with a cap and just put maybe 2 or 3 very small o-rings where the finger holds it. This is very small.

The Schneider Link-It is small and can be found inexpensively but can wear out the cap attachment tension.
Ah yes, the BIGiDesign Ti Pocket Pro is another great choice. I owned one in copper before. Sold it only because it was too heavy for me. I should look into a titanium version!

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may be a little longer than you'd like. This pen measures 4.75 inches but it's worth it. Only one screw that holds the mechanism together and it's inside so it will not come apart. Won't click on while in pocket and it's titanium. This uses the fisher space pen refills and it's what I have in mine. I've yet to find a better pen and I been through a lot of pens. This is the mini

Smooth Precision Pens

IMG_9152.jpeg

FlyFishn

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure if this ticks your boxes, but my solution was the inexpensive Zebra F-301 Compact, which is a cousin of the regular F-301. The Compact is a split-apart with cap/pocket clip that makes the pen full size when attached. Then I drilled out the hole in the tip to accomodate the Fisher Spacepen refill. Storage length is about 3.75 inches, and 5.25" assembled. The Zebra retails for about $4USD and Fisher refills are about $6 at Office Depot.
Thanks for the link/info.

Are Office Max and Office Depot the same? I can't find many Office Depots and the building signs/logos are the same font & color.

I see they're not too expensive as you state. Might be a good option, just not as fancy as the machined ones.

FlyFishn

Newly Enlightened
This may be a little longer than you'd like. This pen measures 4.75 inches but it's worth it. Only one screw that holds the mechanism together and it's inside so it will not come apart. Won't click on while in pocket and it's titanium. This uses the fisher space pen refills and it's what I have in mine. I've yet to find a better pen and I been through a lot of pens. This is the mini

Smooth Precision Pens

View attachment 46808
I checked them out. Out of stock. Neat pen, though.

FlyFishn

Newly Enlightened

You will be hard pressed to top one of these. The refill lasts a very long time and they write on things a typical pen will not. I bought the raw brass which over time, will give you a beautiful patina.
Decided to get one of these to try. I like the history of them, refills are easily available, they appear to be high quality, and the "cap" extends it to a full length pen. That should work pretty good in my application. With the capsule design I don't think I will have any trouble damaging it (bending it or crushing it). The reversible cap doubles the wall thickness where the cap overlaps so that just reinforces it.