C2 and KT2 battery options

alantch

Enlightened
I was planning on getting a KT1 (N1) lamp for my C2, but due to scarcity of the N1, has been offered a MN15 instead, effectively making it a KT2 setup. Since I do not have a 3-cell body or any extenders, what are my best options in terms of batteries for this setup? Would 2 protected R123s be sufficient to power this rig? If yes, what would be the runtimes like? Thanks.

mdocod

Flashaholic
use AWs protected high current (NEW) RCR123s. You'll get over 30 minutes runtime and it'll be just about as bright as it would be on 3xCR123s.... AWs protected cells are the only protected cells in this size available on the market that reliably power up incandecent lamps (like the MN15) without triggering the current protection or requiring multiple taps.

alantch

Enlightened
mdocod, thanks for reply. I have been doing some reading lately in the incan forum on all the possible combinations of bulbs and batteries for the different bodies - the info is just mind-bogling! I'm a total newbie to li-ions, so I hope you can bear with me.

I've read that protected cells are 'fatter' - would this be an issue with the C2 tube? If I were to get an extender like the MC123 later, would this be enough to power the MN16 for 225 lumens using 2 x 17500?

I'd also like to get a Leef 2x18650 C2C tube for the turbohead later - which LA can I (safely) use for this setup? Can the original C2 tailcap handle the load and if not, which should I get?

Sorry for all the greenhorn questions. Thanks.

bagman

Enlightened
alantch said:
If I were to get an extender like the MC123 later, would this be enough to power the MN16 for 225 lumens using 2 x 17500?

I've been powering a MN16 with 2 of AW's new protected 17500's for some months now and it produces superb light, needs a double tap when they run down a bit but that is the only draw back I've had.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
bagman said:
I've been powering a MN16 with 2 of AW's new protected 17500's for some months now and it produces superb light, needs a double tap when they run down a bit but that is the only draw back I've had.

I also ran this set-up for a bit and noticed the cells needed a double-tap when they ran down. I have now added a cell extended and went to 2x17670's, no more double-tapping and picked up another 25 lumens...plus I have a much flatter discharge curve(light output doesn't drop as fast).

I was thinking of going with the leef 2x18650 body as well. But honestly, my 2x17670 set-up has proven to be "good enough". The MN16 powered by those batteries pumps out 400+ lumens out the front! :drool: I didn't believe it myself, but it is true. I also do not use my incans for extended peroids of time. If I needed the extra runtime, I would go with the leef body. I use my high powered incans for "spotting", and run an LED for constant light.

Bottom line, the MN16 powered by 2 li-ions rocks! :rock: