Maglite LED drop-in: is there a way to "guess" the color output?

boet

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
After my recent splurge on a few C cell Maglites I went on a mission to get some of the Mag LED drop-in modules.
I got one 3C and one 4C: OK color, but one with a slight blue tinge and the other slight green - passable, and a big improvement over the incan.

However, the 2C drop-in has proven problematic. I have tried and returned - from two different stores - five of them. Every one a strong green:scowl:

Is there a way to check these things while in the package to try and give yourself a good chance of getting a good/white LED? - a serial number or something. I can't see any difference in looking at them.

Thanks for any help.
Cheers
Boet

Calina

Enlightened
There are hundreds of ways to guess the color of white LEDs.

You can use a pendulum, read your horoscope observe the flight of birds, read in tea leaves etc. Unfortunately there is no sure way to guess right, other than turning on the light.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy boet,

Yep, that sounds pretty frustrating. However, help might be right around the corner. I believe Terralux is about to release a long-awaited Seoul P4 drop-in module for the 2 C/D M*glites. It should not only be much whiter than the ones you have been getting, but also MUCH brighter too.

I think the release date is set for around June. You can check out Battery Junction for the latest and greatest M*g drop-in LED upgrades:

http://batteryjunction.com/tle-6k2.html

(Scroll down on that page to see the latest 3-6 cell LED drop-in)

If you need one for your 2C light right now....... well ......I know a good palm reader. :)

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah - thanks Derek. :)

Here's a roadmap for all things TerraLUX/Cree/P4:

The TLE-6EX for 3-6 cell C/D mags is shipping now.
The TLE-6EXB for 2-3 cell C/D mags is still 2-3 months away
The TLE-5EX for 2 AA MiniMags will begin shipping around 4/5-ish.
The TLE-100EX for MagChargers will start shipping ~3/26.
The TLE-100SEX (er they might need to rethink the naming schema) for the Streamlights is still ~ 4 weeks out.

Now - you can be clever and take a TLE-6EX and run it on 6 AA's with a 3AA<1D serial adapter or on 2 lithium C's or well on anything that makes 3.6-9V basically. It can ever take higher voltages than that but warranty covers any 9V configuration - though I understand the electronics can easily handle twice that (it won't get brighter though, it will just make heat so don't bother). NiMh 1/2D's, etc - lots of clever ways to power it. :)