Attn: Peter - could you make a beam that's a perfect circle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Attn: Peter - could you make a beam that\'s a perfect circle?

Hi.

We've never communicated, though I've read many posts here over the weeks (before buying my Arc from Texas Tactical!), and I wanted to pass this feature request on to you. Perhaps others will want it too.

One of the features I'd love to have is in a tiny clip-on LED lamp I plan to pick up shortly - it throws a perfectly even, flat, disc of illumination without overspill. The product is the Bil-Lite, recently, reviewed at www.dansdata.com (a cool review site for gadgeteers and computer nerds alike).

According to the reviewer, and it is shown in sample photographs, this little light's most powerful feature is its unique way of casting light: in a flat disc-shaped beam with little or no outer dispersion of falloff light.

Don't know how they did it, but this feature *really* appeals to me, concentrating (or maybe cropping) the light output to the area I'm most interested in lighting up. It makes me think of Fresnel lenses and faceted reflector lamps.... perhaps there's be a way to incorporate this into a future Arc AAA or other light?

On top of that, a "focus" feature, to widen or narrow the beam, would be a clincher on top of this. If I had that with the Arc AAA, I'd be buying a handful more for sure!

If someone has already broached this subject, I apologize for re-upping it. Just consider this another vote for it. And if I've not explained it clearly, or you have further questions, let me know!

Thanks for listening, and for the Arc AAA (an awesome little light).

James

kirkhere

Darell

Flashaholic
Re: Attn: Peter - could you make a beam that\'s a perfect circle?

I couldn't quickly find the review of the light you're speaking of. But my guess is that the magic round beam is created with a convex lens. I have a small three-button cell single-LED light that is focussed to a perfect circle that throws pretty far as well. But after I bought my first Arc AAA, I never use that focussed light any longer. The Arc's hot spot is about as big as the total light from the focussed one, but the Arc goes on to offer a nice corona to light up a room. Personally, I really like it like that, after experiencing it both ways.

*** Edit: Finally found it here: http://www.dansdata.com/ledlights8.htm

And sure enough, the "perfect circle" is created with a lens. As neat as the perfect dot looks in the picture, I'm still not convinced that it is as practical as a hotspot with a corona. Don't think that the corona light is "waste" light - I use it as much if not more than the hot spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.