How can I tell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

**DONOTDELETE**

UV and EV Tur. ARC AAA

1. I have just received a black light but how can I tell if it's the new brighter or old black light? (was 1mW, now 12+mW), wider angle (was 10 degree, now 30 degree) Is there a benchmark out there for me to verify?
blush.gif

2. Also I just received the new ARC EV Tur. which is super-bright- I LOVE IT! Not even the L.E. can beat it for brightness (though it's still mine to keep!)
grin.gif
But how can I verify that I have received the EV model and not the regular vanilla? I read somewhere about this model been slightly heavier knurled on the outside case. I don't see any difference after comparing. Is this a myth?

Anyone please assist in identifying/benchmarking them.

Willmore

Enlightened
Old is a very narrow beam--a few inches at a few feet. New UV is much wider. Old looks *dim* on most non-flourescing stuff--even if it's blue. New still looks relatively bright on non-flourescing stuff and makes blue stuff light up.

If you start into the LED--while it's off!--of an old UV, you can see that it's not your normal epoxy LED.

I don't know about the knurling of the EV1, mine isn't all that noticably different. I just believe Peter when he says that's what he sent me.
smile.gif
It's brighter than my old turquoise....

Darell

Flashaholic
EV -

Two places to get them. From Peter and from William at TTS. If from Peter, chances are he sent what you asked for. If from William, it will have an "EV" on the lower portion of the back insert with a circle around it. Written by hand, by Peter himself in black Sharpie.

There is NO visible difference in the two lights. The cases are taken from the same stock, they simply have the brighter LED inserted.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
All "EV" units have the letters "EV" written on the back of the retail package in red or black sharpie, regardless of who sells them. No sharpie, no EV.

Also, you must specifically request it when ordering. Otherwise we send a standard turquoise.

Peter

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Willmore: From your description, I still can't tell the difference. Maybe it is because I don't have an "old" one to do a side-by-side comparison. Could you please give me a physical guideline instead? E.g. stand exactly how far away and measure how wide the beam should be?

Darell: Me either, I don't see any difference inside and out.

Gransee: Mine has the "EV" handwritten at the back. However, after comparing with another Turq. with type II case I really don't see any visible difference between the two leds, except I think the beam is a little wider on the EV. BTW, please excuse my ignorance, but what actually stand for?

Also could you suggest anything on identifying the "new" UV light?

For everyone: How can one differentiate between type II and type III casing?

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1:
For everyone: How can one differentiate between type II and type III casing?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The black is not as deep BLACK in type III. There is somewhat of a pearl effect. Once you see a type II and a type III together, you can tell which one you have in your hand at a glance.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1:
Willmore: From your description, I still can't tell the difference. Maybe it is because I don't have an "old" one to do a side-by-side comparison<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go into a dark room with white walls. A john with no windows will do fine. Stand about 3 feet from the wall, and shine the Arc directly at the wall.

An "old" UV will show a very dim, slightly whitish, slightly violetish spot on the wall. The spot may have a slightly irregular appearance to it, both in its shape and in the colors within the spot itself. From 3-4 feet away, the spot should be about as big as a softball or a baseball.

A "new" UV will show a much more noticeable, and much wider deep royal purple circle on the wall. From 3-4 feet away, the spot should be somewere around the size of a tetherball or a basketball.

aso

Enlightened
... Could you please give me a physical guideline instead...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here are a couple of pics. Look at the height of the leds. The old 1mw UV is on the left in both pics:

pubimage.asp

pubimage.asp

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Another way to tell the UV's apart is that the "old" style will have a distinctly gold colored appearance to the LED, while the "new" style's will have a silvery appearance when you look down the barrel with the light switched off.

Status
Not open for further replies.