mag 5c or 6c thoughts/ideas ?

YAK-28

Enlightened
i've found a couple 5c and 6c lights at a local electronics store and i am looking for options, maybe using aw's c cell li-ions for building a dependable, decent runtime, oh and maybe BRIGHT!!! so far i've built a 6D rop hi and i love it, but i really don't know how wild to go with this. i've seen so many options my brain cell is dizzy. it would be used for work at night, in bad weather checking phone lines and trees. ok, maybe some playtime as well. any help with choosing bulb and battery combo would be greatly appreciated.

thank's in advance.

icantsee

Newly Enlightened
My 2'nd light mod was a ROP high in a 5C mag. It uses 6 sub c 4200. I needed to do a tail cap mod to get 6 into the light. I also ran a wire from top to bottom of the tailcap spring to lower resistance in the circuit. I bought Powerizer brand sub c's off eBay and I'm not very happy with them. If you use C lithiums in a 5 or 6 cell light, you've got some serious voltage potential. So if we're looking at 18.5 to 22.2 volt packs at 3.3 ah and find a bulb to run at those levels, what are the amp loads going to be? Will regulation be required because of the significant voltage range as the pack drains? Are we now over 10 amps and maybe need something more than a KIU socket switch mod? Will whatever bulb you choose, running at those levels, generate so much heat that you have to keep runs to 4 or 5 minutes? Willl all of your runs be prefaced with, "Hey guys, watch THIS!" What great problems to have! If you look at a C nimh solution the pack voltages hit 6 to 7.2 at plus or minus 5ah and you're aleady familiar with ROP and probably the phillips 5761. I'm just starting to play with the phillips bulb and like what it does. Sub c's bump those packs to 7.2 or 8.4 volts at 3.8 to 4.5 ah. ( All the pack voltages are assuming straight series, obviously.) Personally I feel these size mags are more appropriate for nimh because I think there may be less need for regulation at lower pack voltages. If someone develops a DIY regulation circuit for the person that can read scematics and solder breadboard projects, but is not up to designing circuits and specing devices these bigger mags would really shine. Yeah, I know, sorry.
John

YAK-28

Enlightened
thanx for your reply,

i'll search out about the phillips 5671 and do some reading. what do you think about trying an 1185 in a 5c using 4 of the c cell li-ions? (pm sent)

icantsee

Newly Enlightened
4 of AW's li-ion C cells in series is 14.8 volts. Length is 53.5mm x 4= 214mm.
The mag C's stock battery load is 5x50 for 250 mm, more or less. You could make a spacer to take up the extra space. It would seem a shame to cut and re-thread a 5C, but thats a possibility as well.

I think1185's only want around 10.8 volts, that would be closer to 3 cells than 4. Are you planning to use a KIU lamp holder and mag switch?
John

YAK-28

Enlightened
thank's again for your response john. i print out the first link last night to read and haven't seen your second link before. i also ordered a couple of of those sockets yesterday. i plan to pick up a 3c and a 4c tomorrow and see about what's left. mark.

YAK-28

Enlightened
john, i sent a pm about the 5c's, but it seemed to lock up as i sent it. let me know if you got it.
thank's again mark.

YAK-28

Enlightened
i was hoping to get into the 1185's brightness area and better the runtime if i could. i don't seem to ask the right questions with the search feature, looking for other bulbs. most of the charts i found only went up to 14 volt bulbs. any hints on where to look would be greatly appreciated.
would it be smarter/better to pick the bulb you want or the batteries you want first and then match the others goodies when building a light?
thank's mark.